The Official Atwood collectors thread.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Re: Blue Ti Pest

Okay . . . Update time. I ended up selling my Original Prybaby to someone far more addicted to Atwood tools than I.

In fact, I realized I liked my Atwood Ti Pest better than any other Atwoods out there. By quite a big margin.

Wish I could pull off this trick with watches, but I ended up not getting into collecting Atwood tools. I love my Pest best of all.

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hehe, first off, what are some of the watches you have?

Back on topic - I've heard several people say that they like the Pest. Would you care to elaborate on what all you like about it? It seems that it actually has some of the least of the actual number of functions of the Atwoods (pry, bottle opener) - so is it the aesthetics? Do the 2 circular holes have a special secret function?

How much did your original PB go for? I always kicked myself for not getting one back in the day, before it got hot. I remember thinking it was "expensive." Probably a fraction of what they actually go for nowadays though huh!

Monocrom

Flashaholic

Hehe, first off, what are some of the watches you have?

Back on topic - I've heard several people say that they like the Pest. Would you care to elaborate on what all you like about it? It seems that it actually has some of the least of the actual number of functions of the Atwoods (pry, bottle opener) - so is it the aesthetics? Do the 2 circular holes have a special secret function?

How much did your original PB go for? I always kicked myself for not getting one back in the day, before it got hot. I remember thinking it was "expensive." Probably a fraction of what they actually go for nowadays though huh!

As far as watches go, I have a small collection. My main issue is that I'm extremely picky about watches. (Even surprising myself.) My Citizen BM7080-03E model has almost completely monopolized my wrist for nearly 2 years now.

Least number of functions, but that gives the Pest a very clean and almost classic look to it. When you add a ton of functions, you usually get very funky looking Atwood tools. No special secret to the two circular holes. The large one is great for use with one of the bigger McGizmo clips. I sold my prybaby for what it originally cost from Peter. I wanted it to go to an enthusiast who would really enjoy it, instead of trying to flip it for a profit. So, that's what I did. :)

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
Man I gotta post an updated pic too.

I like the look of my Pest but I rarely carry it. The same with my Perfbaby. My Ti G2 Keyton is EDCd, and I often use my steel G2 Keyton or G3 (I think) Prybaby. That one is super handy with a lot packed in a tiny package.

Almost

Newly Enlightened
Recently added a BottleBug to the EDC.
7659282300_f7f7f08105_c.jpg

nbp

Flashaholic
Where is everyone? :poke:

Just got a new one in from Peter and needed to post an updated pic of my tools. Yes, they get carried, the ano'd Ti tools show wear!

Ti Perfbaby, Ti Pest, steel G3 Prybaby, steel G2 Keyton, Ti G5 Prybaby, Ti Keyton with 4 trits in hole, Ti 5 Flute Lanslides, Ti Ribbed Lanslide, steel Ribbed lanslide

The two on the the Ti McGizmo ring with the Mako go in my pocket for EDC.

img0847f.jpg

img0850ar.jpg

img0853di.jpg

gmerin

Newly Enlightened
I've picked up a few Atwoods during the last 6 months; I've been trying to be selective and just grab those Ti items as they flash by me. I'll see if i can setup a photo to display them appropriately.

Currently I have a Brass Bedbug (I missed the Ti Bedbugs), G5 Prybaby, a newer style Ti whistle, a Wedgie (my all time favorite and daily EDC), a G2 Roid Ketyton, a few assorted Lanslides (and one Ti Strider spanner).

I'm currently hunting for a MicroSpud: I like to tie paracord during meetings and the spud would keep me from opening a marlin spike during meetings. I don't know why, but the spike seems to make people nervous at the meetings. ;)

c158paa

Newly Enlightened
Nothing new for a while. Anyone got pictures of their Atwood blades? With any luck I soon will!

c158paa

Newly Enlightened
I can't believe it, fleabay for $50, described as a "Wood signed fixed blade". I can't stop smiling :twothumbs
2Q==

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Never really got into collecting Atwood tools. I loved the look of the Ti Pest, and still have mine. Other than it, and his Chigger model, I wasn't attracted to any other of Peter's offerings. Not so with his bladed models, but those command horribly obscene premiums on the secondary market.

Now I find that I really want an Atwood Hangman. Have recently found that belt-loop carry works best for me and my minimalist keychain set-up. Hey, if anyone is willing to part with their Hangman; send me a PM.

RenG

Newly Enlightened
Any atwood fans that are still here?

Just quick question. Which do you prefer for your tools? Titanium or S30V? Pros and cons for each?

I read that S30V is more resistant to wear. But for me titanium is not really that bad. Or is it just me?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Still here. :D

I like Ti, but found out since my last post that the properties of titanium make them horribly poor for use as prybars. Other than that, still love 'em.

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
No tools of this size in Ti work just fine. You'll break your fingers before the tool. I love my Ti Atwoods.

RenG

Newly Enlightened
Thats what i thought too. But others prefer steel instead. AFAIK they prefer it because it is supposedly stronger than titanium. Anyways, i still prefer titanium. :)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Thats what i thought too. But others prefer steel instead. AFAIK they prefer it because it is supposedly stronger than titanium. Anyways, i still prefer titanium. :)

Actually, it's not that Ti is too soft. It's that Ti has no sheering strength. There's a reason you don't see larger Ti prybars. Yes, there's the cost aspect that comes with working Ti into a more traditional prybar shape. There's the market for larger prybars. Namely being down-and-dirty utilitarian use. But there is another aspect. One that stainless steel doesn't suffer from.

Now don't get me wrong, I love my Ti Atwood Pest. Still have it. Know exactly where it is, it's fantastic. But it's just the nature of Ti. Let's say you had a full-sized Ti prybar, and you were trying to pry open say, a car door. Your prybar is more likely to slip, even if you initially get a good purchase with it on the door. It's due to Ti's lack of sheering strength. It's going to slip out if you put significant pressure on it. Now if you're prying up something small, like a staple, with a very small Ti prybar; that's one thing. But even good old Ti has its limits.