The Official CPF Coffee Thread. All things Coffee... (And related beverages)

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Re: strong coffee

i always figure them pricey brands are just decent non named brands with a huge mark up

ledbetter

Enlightened

Strong as in dark roast? High caffeine? You can make any coffee strong by increasing ratio of grounds to h20 and dark roasts often use cheaper grade beans because you can't taste the difference when they're burned! Highest caffeine coffee comes from robusta beans, again the cheaper alternative. Good coffee is naturally sweet, but most coffee drinkers just want the kick. Might as well drink Red Bull...

raggie33

*the raggedier*

Strong as in dark roast? High caffeine? You can make any coffee strong by increasing ratio of grounds to h20 and dark roasts often use cheaper grade beans because you can't taste the difference when they're burned! Highest caffeine coffee comes from robusta beans, again the cheaper alternative. Good coffee is naturally sweet, but most coffee drinkers just want the kick. Might as well drink Red Bull...
i like 8 o clock coffee when its on buy 1 get 1 free

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just purchased a bag of "kicking horse" coffee. I think it's supposed to be pretty strong. We'll see whenever I get around to using it :)

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast

DydQPQhl.png

ledbetter

Enlightened

Roast and then I grind them. At that point any brewer will work.Much cheaper and better than any coffee you can buy. It's like fresh baked bread compared to store bought.

Last edited:

CobraMan

Newly Enlightened

Starbuck's Sumatra is my absolute favorite dark roast/robust tasting coffee. Recently I tried Peet's Major ****ason and it is really good as well - when I want a slightly different tasting coffee that is also "strong".

Haven't tried any listed in the first post so can't comment on how those would compare...

Cheers,
Tim

Last edited:

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
I roast my own beans!

Me too! Got a Gene Cafe and love it. Started out using a Poppery Popcorn maker at first about 5 years ago. Bought the Gene Cafe off Craigslist 6 months ago and am loving it.

Last edited by a moderator:

ledbetter

Enlightened
Me too! Got a Gene Cafe and love it. Started out using a Poppery Popcorn maker at first about 5 years ago. Bought the Gene Cafe off Craigslist 6 months ago and am loving it.

Nice machine. I'm doing the stovetop method but looking to upgrade to a behmor though I can't complain about the results! Amazing coffee at a great price. I get beans from sweetmarias. You?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I think that chart underrates how strong Deathwish coffee actually is. :grin2:

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice machine. I'm doing the stovetop method but looking to upgrade to a behmor though I can't complain about the results! Amazing coffee at a great price. I get beans from sweetmarias. You?

Yes, Sweet Maria's! Good stuff!:poke:

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
They get you coming and going if you're not careful. These ceramic dripper makers, that basically hold the filter and grounds while you pour over hot water, try and sell you pour over kettles and scales to measure your water and grounds, special rigs to hold the dripper over the cup underneath, all sorts of bells and whistles. I just use a pot to boil the water, pour that into a pyrex measuring and pour over the dripper over a large cup.

ledbetter

Enlightened
They get you coming and going if you're not careful. These ceramic dripper makers, that basically hold the filter and grounds while you pour over hot water, try and sell you pour over kettles and scales to measure your water and grounds, special rigs to hold the dripper over the cup underneath, all sorts of bells and whistles. I just use a pot to boil the water, pour that into a pyrex measuring and pour over the dripper over a large cup.
True, you can go minimalist. Weighing grounds and knowing how much water you're using helps but so does trial and error. Grind is pretty important too but if you're using preground, medium or med fine is ok.Youtube videos can be helpful and the ones by Hoffmann are my favorite but it can get as technical as flashlights!

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can eyeball it with respect to water level, grounds spoonfuls. No big deal.

Black. Haven't had any foo foo in my cup for years now (i.e. sugar, sweetener, cream).

Latest posts