The Official CPF Hot Sauce Thread!

For sometime now these three have been my go-to choices for flavor. I'm not a fan of HOT. I like mixing the horseradish with a variety of condaments. e.g. with Ketchup for French fries, with tartar for salmon, with mayonase on sanwiches..... Mixing brings the flavor sans the heat. :sick2:

ttnjDBH.jpg

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast

This has been my go to sauce lately, Cajohns reaper sling blade. It's not stupid hot and has a great flavor.

nosuchagency

Newly Enlightened
tabasco brand scorp sauce is getting way too expensive to order. just placed an order for dave's version scorp sauce that should arrive this weekend. will post follow up...

nosuchagency

Newly Enlightened

imo, heat's about on par with tabasco's version. dave's bottle doesn't have a control spout so it's essentially wanting to pour out like ketchup (think thick, blotchy drops), which may be a no go for novices. maybe just a wee bit more flavor...

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got it in the cabinet ready to go. As soon as I finish the reaper sauce and the Dave's insanity I'll give my thoughts as well. Thanks!!

nosuchagency

Newly Enlightened
i never had his insanity sauce; would be interested in impression of whether his scorp sauce is perceived as hotter?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Dave himself rates his Scorpion as third hottest, bested by Ghost at #2 and Ultimate Insanity at the top. And as noted above, he sells jars of whole Ghost peppers..

nosuchagency

Newly Enlightened
reckon will give ultimate a whirl after i down this bottle then. see you in the emergency room...

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
It was the first truly hot sauce I had ever eaten. You can taste a drop in 2 pounds of chili. Dave's insanity sauces were the first sauces to feature pure capsaicin, it's his claim to fame

StarHalo

Flashaholic
He rates the Ghost jar as high as Ultimate, because there's obviously no way to dilute it; it'd be an interesting experiment but I'm not sure how you'd use it..

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put a drop of the ghost pepper sauce in a can of armor chili. Can barely taste the heat off of it. Ultimate Insanity burns with just a drop. Has the regular ol ghost pepper taste some people love and some people hate. I think it tastes kind of rubbery for some reason. Not a bad sauce for the ghost pepper lover. Not as hot as I would have liked but not bad. I'm going to pour some on my platter and soak it up with my tortilla.

Update: I poured a blob on my plate and used my tortilla to dip in it. The sauce has some heat but to say I'm disappointed is an understatement. To me this sauce isn't even as hot as The original Dave's insanity.

Taste is a B- maybe even a C.

I think I paid around 15 dollars for this with Tennessee tax. I do not recommend unless you can catch it on sale.

Last edited:

nosuchagency

Newly Enlightened
dave's scorp sauce isn't bad at all; i think i like the flavor a lil' bit more than tabasco's brand. i still think the heat's about same, but i'm using way more globby drops of dave's so that alone is bringing up heat level. it'll take me couple weeks to get through bottle, but already plan on purchasing the ultimate version next round as nothing's rattled me so far. if ultimate works out, i'll probably call it good; i refuse to try any off brand, or 3rd world stuff as i'm convinced it'll just make me sick and was developed for illegitimate reasons in first place...

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Hot sauce unboxing: Youtuber Zeos Pantera is known for his audio hardware reviews, but his head-mounted GoPro recording technique lends itself to reviewing anything, including a whole bag of hot sauces he picked up at a barbecue place. Some NSFW audio to go with the NSFW heat:

nosuchagency

Newly Enlightened

couple of drops on a slice of monterey jack, and being more or less desensitized to scorp sauce after few weeks - concede this stuff definitely has some kick. my issue is that it appears heat may be at the expense of flavor. anyway, need a week or two to build up decent tolerance and will reevaluate taste aspect; it's a lil' too hot & early to issue verdict... if you like 'hot', it ain't gonna k.o. you, but they definitely had agenda; it's literally the color of pepper spray, lmao(?)

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
It uses pure capsaicin haha. It basically is pepper spray. Definitely not the best tasting super hot sauce but at least it's not the cigarette ash taste of some.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
If ghost is supposed to be hotter than scorpion then it should be exponentially hotter than the scorpion. Everything effects everyone differently but I can drink the ghost pepper sauce.

nosuchagency

Newly Enlightened
yes, certainly hotter than dave & tabasco brand scorp sauces. that stated, those both have actual flavor, imo; daves just a bit more. i skipped ghost versions based upon couple previously expressed opinions; doesn't read like i'm missing out on anything spectacular with regard flavor, or lack there of. i'm hoping there's more to ultimate than first impression, but its initial sting is difficult to get past. i also don't think it will do very well in application along with my jersey mikes. i suspect aforementioned chili would work really well, but i don't eat stuff like that much anymore. my guess is it may perform better in cooking.