The Official CPF Hot Sauce Thread!

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sauce is made with Pepper X. Supposedly the hottest pepper on Earth grown by Ed Currie. I've had hybrid jalapeños that put this to shame.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, ok. Sorry, I was talking out of ignorance.

Nah with any batch sauce like this it's possible. I wouldn't even imagine if this is a weak batch of peppers that a stronger batch could get where it needs to be to reach the heat levels they claim. The show is still entertaining, I just expected more

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anything new out there in spice land? Sauces I'm currently or recently enjoyed:

melindas ghost pepper
Melindas xxxtra hot
Melindas garlic

Chocolate Plague
El yucateca red
Cholula green
Poiriers Louisiana style
Secret aardvark
Tobasco scorpion

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm enjoying fresh jalapeños on almost everything right now. Want to make a jalapeño pineapple sauce like I tasted at Mexican stand/place a while back.
Sounds good. Some places will give you their recipe if you ask. My mother in law makes some good chillie. She got the recipe from a eating place back in the 70s. All she did was ask, but she was a regular customer.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just returned from the supermarket with a bag full of Hatch green chilis.
Roast 'em, peel 'em, salsa verde 'em nom-nom 'em.
It's HATCH season!
A friend of mine thought he was buying jalapeño plants this year and they ended up being hatch. He called me at work Friday and asked if I wanted some peppers. Was excited when they turned out to be hatch. I can get jalapeño anywhere here. You have good taste!

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
habs have the best taste if you ask me
If you want a good habanero hot sauce look for Melindas or my favorite Secret Aardvark! I love habanero more than anything because almost anyone can enjoy them when prepared properly. Amazing test and heat together. The best tasting pepper in my opinion however is the Carolina reaper. It's just so hot most people can't enjoy them and don't realize how great they taste!

Last edited:

Mister Ed

Administrator
Staff member
I was browsing FB marketplace today, and someone posted she had fresh habaneros, canned, and strawberry/blueberry jam.

I'm thinking of taking some of the habanero and mixing it with the strawberry jam for some sweet heat treats.
IMG_2168.jpg

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
I made a gooseberry habanero jam a few years back and ate it on buttermilk biscuits. Delicious stuff. You need to check out the candied jalapeños at pepper palace!

chaoss

Enlightened
So I'm thinking about mixing up a small batch of salsa verde.
Any suggestions from you salsanistas?
I know that there are recipes all over the webnet but i wanted to seek input from you guys/gals.
Looking for medium to high heat but taste is way more important.

Thanks & cheers!

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most important question is what flavors do you like? One tip I will give you is don't boil your tomatillos always pan roast them! I cook my onions in with them as well before blending everything. Really just use the tomatillos jalapeños lime juice onions (I don't like cilantro usually, it tasted like soap to me sometimes)

If you don't have tomatillos or just don't like them use green tomatoes! Still gives that tartness most people love in their verde.

chaoss

Enlightened
Most important question is what flavors do you like? One tip I will give you is don't boil your tomatillos always pan roast them! I cook my onions in with them as well before blending everything. Really just use the tomatillos jalapeños lime juice onions (I don't like cilantro usually, it tasted like soap to me sometimes)

If you don't have tomatillos or just don't like them use green tomatoes! Still gives that tartness most people love in their verde.
Good info……
I like your method of pan roasting the tomatillos together with the onions.
Flavor is everything, I think this batch will have an avocado added into the blend. Might just take it to another level?
For heat I will be adding roasted Hatch CP's.
Thanks!

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good info……
I like your method of pan roasting the tomatillos together with the onions.
Flavor is everything, I think this batch will have an avocado added into the blend. Might just take it to another level?
For heat I will be adding roasted Hatch CP's.
Thanks!
You will get more heat out of a jalapeño but I love hatch peppers so you can't go wrong there! Avocado is always good and it will make the verde a little creamy! If you are going to be making a small batch and eating it right away I love mixing my salsas in melted goat cheese for a little snap of saltiness without adding straight salt. Try it one time. Also takes a little heat out of my hotter salsas.