The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Slumber

Slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
Awesome collection gqlux! Looks like you're also a fan of the optic based drop-ins. I arrived late to the CPF party and unfortunately the era of the M60 had passed. I've been lucky enough to find some thanks to CPFMP.

A

AR_Shorty

Enlightened
More Malkoff love :) , I've posted this before, but they are just so nice!

Malkoffgoodness.jpg

gqlux

gglux - you need a natural HA MD2 yet to round out your collection. :naughty:

JWRitchie76

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys. I though I read somewhere that the tail caps on the MD hosts has been changed up a bit. That they are now chamfered kinda like the tail on a McGizmo. I can't seem to find this info. Am I dreaming or what? If they are does anyone have a pic? Thanks!

J

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys. I though I read somewhere that the tail caps on the MD hosts has been changed up a bit. That they are now chamfered kinda like the tail on a McGizmo. I can't seem to find this info. Am I dreaming or what? If they are does anyone have a pic? Thanks!
The new md-2 got a tailcap, and all the tailcaps now got a mc-clickie instead of a kroll switch.

Jay T

Jay T

Enlightened
Little buggers multiply.

P5050556sm.jpg

Front : M61 Nicha - M91W - M91 - M61W - M61 - M60 MCE-W - M60 - M60
Back Hound Dog XML - Wildcat (4 LED)

glazer1972

glazer1972

Newly Enlightened
Trying to decide if I should get a M61LL or a M61LL 219? I am using at the moment a single AW IMR18650. Difference in cost is about $15.

JWRitchie76

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want to revisit my question regarding the build or version of the MD series tailcaps. So I owned but no longer own a MD2 that had this style tailcap:

images

And I have seen this cap recently: **Pic is borrowed from a thread in the M/P. Not my image. If there are any issues I will remove.

images

So as you can see they are machined with a chamfer like a McGizmo tail and in my experience much more comfortable to use. So is this style standard now? Is it referred to as a version 3 tailcap? Anyone have any info?

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a similar question I bought an MD2 a couple years back, is it now a removable tailcap?
I'm guess it's switched from Kroll (nice feel I must admit) to McG?

jcalvert

jcalvert

Enlightened
If I recall correctly from a conversation I had with Gene, the quick answer is that the top photo is what was referred to as a "shrouded, two-piece" design w/ the McCkicky switch. The bottom photo is simply the shroudless "one-piece" version w/ McClicky that was in place before and after the shrouded version.

I don't remember the particulars, but I do know that the two-piece tailcap has a removable shroud surrounding the switch boot and could be unscrewed to easily switch out the boot. However I seem to recall that producing this two-piece design was more of a hassle than it was worth (my words), so production of these was limited. So back comes the one-piece w/ McClicky and based on my samples of these, I don't see any other differences.

Prior to introduction of the McClicky switch, the Judco (Kroll) switch was used in the first iteration of the MD2 body that did not have a separate tailcap. But a separate tailcap with the Judco (Kroll) was used on the MD3 & MD4. The separate Judco (Kroll) tailcap was then used on a new MD2 battery tube, thus bringing about a two-piece MD2 sans the head.

If more clarification is required, Gene will probably check in here with the answers.

-John

RiverRatMatt

RiverRatMatt

Newly Enlightened
So how does a Mag Light with one of Gene's emitters compare to a Hound Dog?

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't speak for the maglite (yet?? who knows) but the HoundDog is impressive, my inclination would be the maglite would have a higher brightness but the Dog would all together whoop it in terms of usefulness.

That opinion is based on the beam angle of the mag reflector. Out of focus I find it almost useless personally.

J

J_Roc

Newly Enlightened
So how does a Mag Light with one of Gene's emitters compare to a Hound Dog?

I had both, but just have the Hound Dog XM-L now. :)

As 65535 said, the Mag always needs to be adjusted to use, but the HD is perfect all the time (and it can fit in a jacket pocket unlike the Mag)

Last edited:
Jay T

Jay T

Enlightened
Those little buggers just keep multiplying, an M61HO is on the way.

GeoBruin

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow. Just saw the M61HO. I wonder if there will be an M61HOW. That would be like getting the warm tint without having to compromise on the output relative to a regular M61.

Also, because it's running out of regulation on low with the High/Low ring, it should still have the same run time on low. That's attractive as well.

Those little buggers just keep multiplying, an M61HO is on the way.

kyhunter1

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
A M61HO in 219 would rock! I will hold out for a neutral or warm variant atleast on this one.

Got another question for anyone here that owns a M61LLL 219 nichia module. Has anybody done any official runtimes on this module? Anybody tried it on 2xAA? I ran my M61LLL cool tint module for over 18 hours on a set of nimh AA's with no sign of giving out. Brightness was around 5-7 lumens initially then dropped to around 3-5 lumes towards the end when I pulled the cells.

GeoBruin

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one. I can start a test tonight but I may not be able to answer you for a couple days :D

Status
Not open for further replies.