The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozythemandias

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are the Malkoff dropins supposed to have a lens on it? I bought my first one off a member and there wasn't any lens, just got another 219b single mode and there's a lens that appears to be adhered to it with a black gasket or ring of sorts

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast

dhunley1

Enlightened
The drop in alone doesn't come with the lens. You should be able to pop the lens off of the 219B and pull the gasket out (I assume it's the one you just got from me in the VME head).

Last edited:

dhunley1

Enlightened
This is always good for future reference.

(Not my image)

VMEHeadorder_zps31316b0d.jpg

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I confirmed with Gene Malkoff that the 1xAA MDC is the only device that is not reverse polarity protected. He explained that the reverse polarity protection uses a blocking diode that has 400mv Vf, which costs 0.4 volts. This is too much loss for the 1xAA format. He also graciously gave me permission to share this info with the group. All of the other MDC models are reverse polarity protected.
Thank you for getting clarification and sharing this info!

Are the Malkoff dropins supposed to have a lens on it? I bought my first one off a member and there wasn't any lens, just got another 219b single mode and there's a lens that appears to be adhered to it with a black gasket or ring of sorts
Typically the lens and gasket will stick to the module as you are probably seeing. The image dhunley has provided is the older way it was done. the link ModernFlame provided is the latest method.

EDIT: Although the photo provided is for VME head and is still the current method. Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but this has been my experience.

Last edited:

dhunley1

Enlightened
And since we're on the subject, unless you have the MDX 22.3 head, you could still use the old method if you have a VME lens and gasket kit.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
And since we're on the subject, unless you have the MDX 22.3 head, you could still use the old method if you have a VME lens and gasket kit.
Yes, very good point.

on a side note, I got some advice from a fellow CPF member for posting my charts. Still a work in progress. What do you think? let me know if you see any difference in images. One is a jpg and the other is a png

EDIT: I might try playing with resizing, but i like this option because it allows the image to be seen at full res

AMllpbO.jpg

HeMHRbV.jpg

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
For what it's worth, I don't find much use in the graph beyond about 95-100 minutes. I think it's overall more legible when it's zoomed in a bit more.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
For what it's worth, I don't find much use in the graph beyond about 95-100 minutes. I think it's overall more legible when it's zoomed in a bit more.
I can agree. I will make a new graph stopping at that point and see what it turns out to look like.

Wait till you see my HD 18650 low mode chart. Will be hard to chart out 36-40+ hours of very gradual decline in output. I plan to show 1hr increments but might have to do 5 increments

It also does not help that there are 7 different cells compared in this graph

Last edited:

Ozythemandias

Flashlight Enthusiast
Appreciate the info INFRNL, dhunley1 and Modernflame. And thanks Dhunley1! It's exactly what I needed. Good seller right here :)

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Appreciate the info INFRNL, dhunley1 and Modernflame. And thanks Dhunley1! It's exactly what I needed. Good seller right here :)

that's what we are here for:) i'm glad you were able to get the perfect answer/solution:thumbsup:

@ModernFlame: I changed the second image to show up to 100 mins, let me know what you think. I do not think it zooms in too much more....but as you requested my friend:p

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
@ModernFlame: I changed the second image to show up to 100 mins, let me know what you think. I do not think it zooms in too much more....but as you requested my friend:p

Looks good. Thanks again for all your effort. On a side note, this curve looks much better than the 1xCR123 device you tested previously, but it still falls short of the advertised values. Hoping not to take the thread off topic, but I think I'm seeing a pattern with that manufacturer.

Edit: Very relieved to know that the Battery Station cells are holding their own.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks good. Thanks again for all your effort. On a side note, this curve looks much better than the 1xCR123 device you tested previously, but it still falls short of the advertised values. Hoping not to take the thread off topic, but I think I'm seeing a pattern with that manufacturer.

Edit: Very relieved to know that the Battery Station cells are holding their own.
Yes, so far this batch of battery station cells are doing very well and have been living up to the claimed potential. I just can't get over the price, they are just a half step cheaper than surefire. However if you are getting this quality from the included cells from gene on purchases, then it's good to know they have been included. If/when i get more from Gene, i'm going to do another test. I just find it odd that I had issues with many of the cells from Gene but this batch directly from Battery Station have done very good.

Once my low mode test finishes tomorrow (hopefully) on the HD 18650, I will start doing tests on other Malkoffs (which hold pretty true to their rated output) I will be doing some primary testing and li-ion, so we will be able to see how the different lights perform both on primaries and rechargeable's

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Once my low mode test finishes tomorrow (hopefully) on the HD 18650...

Dude, you are such a flashlight junkie. I remember when, not too long ago, you swore off low beam tests. That's a grueling ordeal! There are only two ways that I'd ever discover the true low beam run time of a Hound Dog 18650:

1) Living through the Blair Witch Project.

2) Reading your results on the forum.

Edit: Happy to take the latter route. It's better than the former.

Last edited:

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dude, you are such a flashlight junkie. I remember when, not too long ago, you swore off low beam tests. That's a grueling ordeal! There are only two ways that I'd ever discover the true low beam run time of a Hound Dog 18650:

1) Living through the Blair Witch Project.

2) Reading your results on the forum.

Edit: Happy to take the latter route. It's better than the former.

HAHA, yes i remember that day....that was before the data logger. I'm definitely not going to make a habit of it unless I have the time. I'm going to focus on High mode first, for sure.

I don't know how I became a junkie either. I remember about a yr ago when I came here looking for a few different lights from 2-3 manufacturers.

I can tell you when i became a Malkoff Junkie; it was when Grizz started talking to me and making everything sound so good. Definitely glad he did, because Malkoff is one of my 2 favorites. and hen when I found out about nichia emitters and illumn. I am definitely more than satisfied with what I own now and it was definitely fun when Marco and i kept buying the same lights as each other. Now i have a better feel of exactly what i like. Although I'm a bit bummed I sold all those lights/parts because my new venture of testing with useful data and helping members here is currently limited. I guess you could say I'm a bit messed up in the head, but it's a new hobby I enjoy even though flashlight use is pretty limited for me.

Did we ever conclude what the definition of Junkie was/is? HAHA

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
I have some questions I was hoping the Malkoff crowd could answer.

I'm thinking about purchasing some Malkoff products so I could interchange them and configure several different lights from them.

I'm looking at the MDC Neutral 16650, a single cell A123 body, as well as a VME head and a M61WL, and possibly an MDC Neutral Li-ion head as well.

I'm wondering does the VME have a glass lens? If it is acrylic, what is the size, so I can get a glass lens. Will I use a lens with the VME and the M61WL, or will the drop in lens be the only lens? While I'm asking, is the lens on the M61WL made of glass?

Does anyone know how the VME head dimensions compare to the MDC head? Is it larger in diameter? Is it longer in length? I'm just wondering how much if anything it will add to the size of the MDC.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have some questions I was hoping the Malkoff crowd could answer.

I'm thinking about purchasing some Malkoff products so I could interchange them and configure several different lights from them.

I'm looking at the MDC Neutral 16650, a single cell A123 body, as well as a VME head and a M61WL, and possibly an MDC Neutral Li-ion head as well.

I'm wondering does the VME have a glass lens? If it is acrylic, what is the size, so I can get a glass lens. Will I use a lens with the VME and the M61WL, or will the drop in lens be the only lens? While I'm asking, is the lens on the M61WL made of glass?

Does anyone know how the VME head dimensions compare to the MDC head? Is it larger in diameter? Is it longer in length? I'm just wondering how much if anything it will add to the size of the MDC.

you should have been here yesterday...

At one time I took actual measurements of the different heads but I do not recall anymore. The difference is negligible. I believe VME is a hair larger in dia and MDC is a hair longer in length but overall they are basically the same size more or less.

the drop-ins do not have any kind of lens on them. the VME lens is acrylic and i do not think I have any to measure. I honestly do not think you would need to get glass lenses, the acrylic holds up very well.

I used to have pics comparing the VME to MDC, I'll look to see if I still have them

I think there are 2 different Li-Ion heads with different outputs

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
A quick search found this. It gives you a pretty good idea. It looks larger in dia but it really isn't. I do not remember if I own a VME anymore to get the actual dimensions

The VME lens is almost 15/16" dia (22.36mm approx), thickness is approx 1/16" thick (1.58/1.6mm)
I no longer have a VME, thought I might have one but I think I gave it to a friend here or sold it; one of the 2

ZPkvtyx.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.