The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mag liter

Newly Enlightened
Today I realized the true meaning of a fully potted head; however, I've known the literal meaning of a fully potted head all along. Let me explain:

Today I had my MDC clipped to my backpack, and it fell off. The light roughly fell 5 feet (I'm 6ft 3) onto granite tile floors. I was horrified, and almost didn't want to pick the flashlight off the ground. I was hoping there wouldn't be a dent, but there was. The bezel is a little dented, and you can see a little bit of silver through the black anodizing.

Now I bet you are all saying, "Well... does it work?!" The light functions perfectly. Then I got a rush of wisdom, and realized why people need fully potted flashlights. I had a TM26 for a long time, and only dropped it once. I came to the conclusion that a fully potted head isn't important because my Tm26 survived. Now, I realized something else. A small flashlight with a small clip is a drop waiting to happen.

As an EDC flashlight, a fully potted head WILL increase the lifetime of your flashlight. I am proud to say I made the right decision going for this flashlight.

For people wondering, Fully potted means that the whole head of the flashlight ( except reflector ) is filled with epoxy to protect it from shock.

Try a fall from my hand im 6"2 while on a 10 foot ladder onto concrete, it hit so hard the protected battery circut failed, but light works just fine

Today I realized the true meaning of a fully potted head; however, I've known the literal meaning of a fully potted head all along. Let me explain:

Today I had my MDC clipped to my backpack, and it fell off. The light roughly fell 5 feet (I'm 6ft 3) onto granite tile floors. I was horrified, and almost didn't want to pick the flashlight off the ground. I was hoping there wouldn't be a dent, but there was. The bezel is a little dented, and you can see a little bit of silver through the black anodizing.

Now I bet you are all saying, "Well... does it work?!" The light functions perfectly. Then I got a rush of wisdom, and realized why people need fully potted flashlights. I had a TM26 for a long time, and only dropped it once. I came to the conclusion that a fully potted head isn't important because my Tm26 survived. Now, I realized something else. A small flashlight with a small clip is a drop waiting to happen.

As an EDC flashlight, a fully potted head WILL increase the lifetime of your flashlight. I am proud to say I made the right decision going for this flashlight.

For people wondering, Fully potted means that the whole head of the flashlight ( except reflector ) is filled with epoxy to protect it from shock.

+1! I was one of the guys banging the drum for the potted electronics and you can see why!:thumbsup: I mentioned a video review from Mr.GunsAndGear where he tested a Surefire against another light only to have the other light fail on the very first drop test. First day I carried my Surefire E1b with Malkoff head I accidentally dropped it in parking lot and kicked it.:ohgeez::mad: It did put a bit of a gash in the anodizing of the head and the tail but as you'd expect function remains unchanged. As you alluded to, any light carried all the time as an EDC is probably going to hit the ground eventually. That's why I personally put such a premium on build quality, durability and reliabilty.

Lantern32

Enlightened
Try a fall from my hand im 6"2 while on a 10 foot ladder onto concrete, it hit so hard the protected battery circut failed, but light works just fine

Wow! I'm sorry! I know that if I fell from roughly 16 feet onto concrete, i probably would fail lol

Lantern32

Enlightened
+1! I was one of the guys banging the drum for the potted electronics and you can see why!:thumbsup: I mentioned a video review from Mr.GunsAndGear where he tested a Surefire against another light only to have the other light fail on the very first drop test. First day I carried my Surefire E1b with Malkoff head I accidentally dropped it in parking lot and kicked it.:ohgeez::mad: It did put a bit of a gash in the anodizing of the head and the tail but as you'd expect function remains unchanged. As you alluded to, any light carried all the time as an EDC is probably going to hit the ground eventually. That's why I personally put such a premium on build quality, durability and reliabilty.

+1 Lumens are good while they work, but durability is good while you have the light :)

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of our Wildcats fell 11' from our barn loft onto concrete.

It impacted on the bezel. No dent, no broken lens, notta, nothing...it worked perfectly.

It has also taken many drops from a minuscule height of 3-5' onto concrete as well. No issues.

The Wildcat and Hound Dog have extremely beefy bezels.

Lantern32

Enlightened
One of our Wildcats fell 11' from our barn loft onto concrete.

It impacted on the bezel. No dent, no broken lens, notta, nothing...it worked perfectly.

It has also taken many drops from a minuscule height of 3-5' onto concrete as well. No issues.

The Wildcat and Hound Dog have extremely beefy bezels.

No dent?! Wow you are very lucky! Can't believe it!

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first Malkoff. MD2 with M61HOT head, hi/low ring switch. Zebralight SC600 clip installed.

I received the the same setup minus the hi low. How's your beam?

My hotspot is round, but the outer halo is square shaped. Just making sure that's normal, never saw this before.
Very bright though :) Thanks!

JohnSmith

Enlightened

My hotspot is round, but the outer halo is square shaped. Just making sure that's normal, never saw this before.

Yes, my beam is exactly the same... :twothumbs

Lantern32

Enlightened

The beam will be square looking because it's a HOT head, defiantly orientated for throw! throw! throw! lol

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Took my new MD2 out for a walk in the woods and maaaaaan, let me tell ya. The hi/lo switch keeps it on low 99% of the time, but when I got to a clearing about the size of a football field I opened it up to hi and WOW!!!

I could not believe what I was see-ing looking back where I'd been. It was if the entire football field area was lit up like a fire truck spotlight.

The trees at the other end were in plain view, and the spot to flood transition was perfect. And from a flashlight that fits in my pants pocket.
1000' like my Coast HP7R? Not even close. But the beam quality for those 3-400' was the best I'd ever seen before.

I had some other favorites with me. When I got home I had the urge to put the others in boxes and stick 'em in a closet.

Last edited:

Lantern32

Enlightened
Gene Malkoff,

Could you make a MDC pocket clip that allowed the MDC to tail stand? The deep carry clip is nice, but it would be also nice to be able to tail stand the light. Please share your thoughts on this idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.