The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
You know that kinda brings up something I was thinking just the other day As a flashlight junkie I love the idea of having a light thats tough as nails and runs for weeks on end. I have many such lights. And there in lies the problem. I will always have them. Hell I'm setting up another emergency light right now but is it necessary? At NO time am I ever out with just one light and could probably run the lights I have on me at any given time on high with a combined runtime going into days. So why do I keep setting up a single light that can do everything and last for days when I know I will never need it.Guess it's just me thinking worse case scenario.Im going to take a stab an say I'm not alone here. . 😁

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finally Pulled the trigger on a M61LLL. figured why not. Should make a great emergency light.

My M61LLL and M31LL are my general purpose lights. I find 50L to be bright enough to be useful during the day and not so bright as to be blinding during the night. It is my favorite output level for a single mode light.

--flatline

Jimmyboots

Enlightened
Anyone have both the M61LL and LLL 219? If so which do you end up using more? The difference between the two was around 15lm in the last run and although I just picked up a LLL I'm not sure if it's worth while to also get a LL.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Just been playing with my new toy. A Malkoff 2XAA tube a VME head and a M31W.playing around with different batteries now to see what's best. As I figured from the start. It doesn't like primaries. Wow! Runtime is horrible. Getting much better results now with energizer lithium.great tint but think I'm going to get a Standard M31L. Trying to get my runtimes up.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Just been playing with my new toy. A Malkoff 2XAA tube a VME head and a M31W.playing around with different batteries now to see what's best. As I figured from the start. It doesn't like primaries. Wow! Runtime is horrible. Getting much better results now with energizer lithium.great tint but think I'm going to get a Standard M31L. Trying to get my runtimes up.
Looking back at my records on the M31; I had obtained the following:

• 70 minutes regulated runtime from 2xAA NiMH (precipitous drop after that)
  • 45 minutes regulated runtime from 1xCR123 (90 minutes useful output)
  • but only 20 minutes from 2xAA Alkaline
So yes, the difference between the M31L and the full-power M31 would be that current draws should remain in the region of efficient energy delivery from the alkaline chemistry.

No big deal on my end in that I have very little interest in alkalines, but do like the option of at least a short-term blaster from them anyhow. Lower outputs are always available in my multimode lights; I only own full-power Malkoffs.

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Yep I would agree with your numbers. The L91's are at the 2 hour mark and still around 50-60 lumens. The Alkalines were maybe 10 lumens at 48 minutes. Still think I'll grab a 31L. 120 plus lumens for 4-5 hours. Because hey you never know. It might just be the day I step out with only one light on me and I'll have sufficient runtime. 😂

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I have many Malkoff products but just bought my first AA light from him. A MDC HA 2AA. I don't see to much talk about on here. Anyone care to comment on it while I patiently wait for mine to arrive?

Jimmyboots

Enlightened
I have many Malkoff products but just bought my first AA light from him. A MDC HA 2AA. I don't see to much talk about on here. Anyone care to comment on it while I patiently wait for mine to arrive?

My oldest Malkoff is a AA MDC. In my opinion it's the best AA flashlight that's ever been made. Its boringly reliable. It's perfect as a bedside light or as a glove compartment light.

I use mine as a travel light and use the UI so it will come on high first. I use envelop pros exclusively.

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
My only gripe with the malkoff AA is a lack of a real medium. 0.3 lumens is low low. 8 lumens is low. Then 90 lumens is high, but not very high for a AA. Would love to see a 20 or 30 lumen medium added to the mix. That would make for a perfect light.

Blues

Enlightened
I leave the AA on my nightstand in case I need to get up without disturbing the missus, or the dog.

The 2AA is on a table downstairs when I check the utilities and button up the house for the night without turning on several lights to do so.

They are fantastic lights, imho. They and eneloops make an unbeatable team for general "around the house" duty.

The rest of my Malkoff lights are more specifically task oriented.

Jimmyboots

Enlightened
My only gripe with the malkoff AA is a lack of a real medium. 0.3 lumens is low low. 8 lumens is low. Then 90 lumens is high, but not very high for a AA. Would love to see a 20 or 30 lumen medium added to the mix. That would make for a perfect light.

I actually like the output levels, its what makes the single AA so unique.

As you can see I'm afraid of misplacing mine.

aIA9JQj.jpg

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I was first going to grab the single AA as I don't have many single AA lights and it's pretty pocketable. But the lack of reverse protection scares the heck out of me. I can totally see one of my girls tossing a battery in the wrong way.

CbusRog

Newly Enlightened
I have several MDC 16650's in different flavors, the 219b being my work edc, so I can't speak to the 2AA. However, I just got the 1AA N. I think it's a well balanced light all the way around. Sits on the nightstand and is pretty much my "house light". Incidentally, this is my third one.

The first one was really dim on low, imo, almost useless when compared to my buddies' 1AA N. Gene sent a new head that initially worked great, but got flaky and eventually died. He told me to send everything back to get sorted out. Several days later I received yet another light that's fantastic in tint and brightness spread across all three modes.

Great customer service!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.