The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnnyh

Enlightened
Malkoff experts,what preference (or difference) would there be for a Malkoff head...MDX 16.5 or 22.3 for the special M91BN group buy on an MD4? Thanks!

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
MDX 16.5. I would get an MD4 for the M91B, that way you can use 2x 18650 and get very solid runtimes at full output. I'm using a 9P w/ CR123 extender to run 2x18650, just like an MD4.

FWIW, Gene & co do lay out quite well what parts are compatible with what on their site.

Johnnyh

Enlightened
MDX 16.5. I would get an MD4 for the M91B, that way you can use 2x 18650 and get very solid runtimes at full output. I'm using a 9P w/ CR123 extender to run 2x18650, just like an MD4.

FWIW, Gene & co do lay out quite well what parts are compatible with what on their site.

Thanks! I think I'll have to seriously consider an MD4 body with a an MDX 16.5 head. Let me also ask if two protected 18650's are Ok (lengthwise) in this body...not too tight?

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I use the 16.5 but that's just because I like the crenellated head. The 22.3 would give you more spill. Imo the 22.3 makes all genes drop ins much better. And Absolutely go with the MD 4. I'm actually doing a run time test on a M91B with this setup now

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a 22mm expecting a big difference, but didn't see one. The 16.5mm head provides better protection for the lens, so if it's a working light, go with that.

--flatline

thermal guy

Flashaholic
You won't see a huge difference but trust me do get better spill with the 22mm. And believe it or not in some cases more throw. I went to the 16.5 for my M61T Because I wanted to have the Crenellation. With the smaller opening I lost throw so I went back to the 22.3. Now that being said I still like the 16.5 better for some of my lights because only of the crenelations.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my opinion, the strength of the M91 platform is the spill. There is not a world of difference between the two aperture sizes, but the 16.5 does constrict your view a bit. I think a special drop in like an M91BN is worth putting in the 22.3.

Johnnyh

Enlightened
In my opinion, the strength of the M91 platform is the spill. There is not a world of difference between the two aperture sizes, but the 16.5 does constrict your view a bit. I think a special drop in like an M91BN is worth putting in the 22.3.

Sounds like a good bet! Problem is, for the life of me I can't find it on the Malkofff site. Probably just me but I emailed them to ask where it might be found or how I can get one. Also, anyone know...is the 16.5 lens and head gasket also compatible with 22.3?

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Ya you have to ask for the larger head. It's not on the site. The lens an gasket are different sizes.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like a good bet! Problem is, for the life of me I can't find it on the Malkofff site. Probably just me but I emailed them to ask where it might be found or how I can get one. Also, anyone know...is the 16.5 lens and head gasket also compatible with 22.3?

Place an order for the 16.5 MDX, then just email Cathy. She'll make the substitution. As for the rest, I don't remember the 16.5 and 22.3 requiring different sized lenses or gaskets, but I don't have any on hand to compare. I'll defer to Thermal Guy on this point, since he's got more of a collection than I have at the moment.

Johnnyh

Enlightened
Place an order for the 16.5 MDX, then just email Cathy. She'll make the substitution. As for the rest, I don't remember the 16.5 and 22.3 requiring different sized lenses or gaskets, but I don't have any on hand to compare. I'll defer to Thermal Guy on this point, since he's got more of a collection than I have at the moment.

Cathy just emailed me about all this...talk about customer service! Unbelievable...

greatscoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a 22mm expecting a big difference, but didn't see one. The 16.5mm head provides better protection for the lens, so if it's a working light, go with that.

--flatline

You won't see a huge difference but trust me do get better spill with the 22mm. And believe it or not in some cases more throw. I went to the 16.5 for my M61T Because I wanted to have the Crenellation. With the smaller opening I lost throw so I went back to the 22.3. Now that being said I still like the 16.5 better for some of my lights because only of the crenelations.

I tested both and there is definitely a difference, I'm going with the 22.3 for the M91N.

Status
Not open for further replies.