The official PKDL thread

ven

Flashaholic
Good stuff Mike, the perfect team you and PK, one side a flashlight boffin with incredible sight towards design and the future, other side a guy who loves all types of lights. From 100yrs ago to tomorrows with vast experience/knowledge of everything in between.

:rock:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Good stuff Mike, the perfect team you and PK, one side a flashlight boffin with incredible sight towards design and the future, other side a guy who loves all types of lights. From 100yrs ago to tomorrows with vast experience/knowledge of everything in between.

:rock:

Well I'm certainly flattered to be a spoke in the wheel.
Pun intended.
More like a nipple that fastens one of many spokes to the big wheel... but I'm having fun.

PK has told me a bunch of times that PKDL is a hobby. In the meantime he seems to be having fun and now that the PRX is more than an idea he wants to set his sites on some other fun projects. Hence 'the Kickstand' idea for his PL2.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Building on the 'fun' theme here, PK said last night that a double A light is in the works. That it will be something in the PL 2 line of thinking with a clicky. We were talking about a headlamp and a double A in the same part of the conversation. He was plagued with a printer issue and was both venting and thinking out loud. So even though he was at a standstill in his office duties he used the time to bounce some ideas around.

He also stated that a bicycle light being designed. I'll paraphrase here: "I ride bicycles... real fast. Well at 40mph 50 yards can pop up real fast. You can get into trouble quickly." So that is going into the design.

And regarding weapons light stuff spoke of a PRX with a laser and a dedicated pistol light.

Last edited:

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
received a stunningly beautiful PL2 from bykfixer (great service!), sharing a few pics here...

PL2_00.jpg

PL2_Pic01.jpg

PL2_Pic02.jpg

PL2_Pic03.jpg

I was a fan of SureFire... now I'm a fan of PKDL... :grin2:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
So here at the close of 016 PK is going on a PKDL tour of sorts. He is going to visit a few countries in Asia to have a little fun and do a little work specifically PKDL related.

For clarity this is not a post to drum up business. I hope after reading this post others will agree it is a mere attempt to add to the unfolding story of a fledgling company owned by a man who has brought us numerous benchmark innovations for a couple of decades now. An archive for the future so-to-speak.

As I've said before, PK Design Lab is a side project for the famous inventor. He works about 275-300 days a year, often 25-30 in a row designing products for the folks involved with those Icon lights of long ago. He literally uses lunch breaks and after hours times to come up with those items featured in this thread here. I'm kinda Hollywood-izing the story here for effect. Basically to show how progress at PKDL is not going to move fast like at other light makers. It is a side project afterall with very little glamour, and lots of waiting.
Yet when we do see innovations you can be assured they were tested thoroughly and approved by the man himself.

Case in point: the Kickstand for the PL2's. What began as a humorous quip one day was conceived to a 3D drawing. Then a manufacturer was lined up and a prototype built. All was going well until the first batch arrived at his desk.

The idea in motion.

Porsche-like sleek styling.

And a bunch in stock.
However...

THIS WILL NOT DO!!!
The finish on them was not durable at all.
So it's not back to the drawing board per-sae, but certainly a better finish is in order. Trouble is it's a matter of coming up with a durable finish at a low cost. So yeah a ceramic coating or other options are possible, but the idea is to build these little dual function clips to be affordable. Same goes for some other ideas he's kicking around, like an upcoming double A light, an 18650, and a bike light.

It has been my pleasure to talk about the goings on at PKDL as a fan in the past, but now as part of the loop. PK is a very humble man who is very reserved when time to discuss his accomplishments. Me? I can talk about it with ease. It's why these updates come from yours truely instead of the man himself. Occasionally I get an email saying "please pass this on". The clips thing was one of those times. I just hope I'm able to accurately portray what he wants stated.

The PRX has been unveiled and PK is going to visit a few places where it has been requested in numbers. He is also slated to visit the facility where the lights thus far are manufactured. It is quite likely he will make an appearance in Vegas at the SHOT event and perhaps take in some hog hunting in Texas early next year. In the meantime I'm glad to know he won't be sitting at his desk on Christmas Day. And there is no telling what hijinx will take place on New Years Day while he lets off some steam.
But I can say for certain, PK thanks everybody for their support and their patience here at CPF and everywhere else.

ven

Flashaholic
Those clips are awesome, the function and design is spot on. How about bare/naked clips(stainless or alloy)...............no coating or a clear type..........just a thought.

fkrow

Newly Enlightened
Mike,

Thanks for update on PL2 clips,,,, I would vote 1+ for standard Stainless steel without plating or coating.

Carry a PL2 daily in pocket, only downside is lack of a clip for shirt pocket or hat brim.

Regards,
FK

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Bravo on the photo.
Hey that rhymes. lol

But they are very photogenic. Amazing little flashlights, aren't they? PK described what goes into making them once. It's yet another marvel of modern day lighting technology.

017 news: The double A has a name. PL 3.
Production scheduled to begin in January. Should be some available by March. No details other than the word titanium and included pocket clip were mentioned in the same sentence.

Last edited:

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
017 news: The double A has a name. PL 3.
Production scheduled to begin in January. Should be some available by March. No details other than the word titanium and included pocket clip were mentioned in the same sentence.

PL 3... settling in to wait!