The official PKDL thread

ven

Flashaholic
Re: Paul Kim's PK-PR1

Congrats, wow few months...............that must have been painful. I still want an FL2 to add to my little PK family. My little PR1's have nichias in, 219b and 219c 4k
Jd9ciykl.jpg

ven

Flashaholic

Pretty easy tbh, if you do take care not to tighten up too much. The brass pill unscrews iirc(been a while). CRX did mine for me.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast

I usually dislike cool white but the PR-1 has a very nice tint. It's white with maybe just a bit of blue- when I cross beams.

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast

I like warm/hicri emitters but like bykfixer said once, this is tactical light so this color/tint is the best for this purpose. It can do the job better than hicri.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just wanted to share a picture of my work laptop...

RzKOTsNh.jpg

That is the PL2 that bykfixer sent me after my original PL2 stopped working. (It was just loose threads on the head. My original still works once I adjusted it and I carry it 24/7). PK sticker was a gift from bykfixer.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Glad it's still working Sween. I still carry a black one too.

A bit of an update on PK Design Lab. As said before, he stopped producing flashlights based on the consumer maket and turned his attention to a pure military type of market. Be it soldiers, or special ops folks in law enforcement he has been focused on re-inventing some of his previous lighting tools since patents are owned by his previous employer SureFire.

To date he has successfully re-invented a "scout" style light with much better output for both bright white and infrared. His PRX was not a comercial success so he stepped away from a radical shaping back to a more "round" approach. It is called M51 WIR for white/infrared. He also re-invented a tape switch for the new M51 called the UTS7, which can fit PRX, the M51 or SureFire Scout with adapters. It solves an issue that plagued his switch from SureFire where a right angle at the mount points allows less snags. He invented an infrared beacon for rescue or ID purposes, the NATO approved MS 3000 beacon marker that also has visible light if chosen. And right now his pistal light has gone from the lab, to design, to testing of the M11 WIR so that one will probably be ready this year.

A small Canadian outfit called OPR8 has those new items available except for the pistol light, which is in the testing phase.

He said a while ago he may get back into the consumer market someday. But for now it is all about providing items for contracts with agencies who protect citizens in countries where military conflicts are becoming more sophisticated. So we are lucky to have a person like Paul Kim somewhere on planet earth designing lighting tools to help those who put their lives on the line in places we often times are not aware of.

Thank you PK.

!mprovise

Newly Enlightened
Since mid 2016 my absolute favorite AAA illumination platform. The reach for such a small light is exceptional, and the low mode runtime is exceptional. Kudos to the designer.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
!mprovise, the silver one was the best seller. Black second and rainbow nearly as popular as black even though it was $10 more. The rainbow one was coated with titanium in a PVD method and electro shocked like they do for anodizing. Much like a tie dye T-shirt, no two were the same.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast

If only we could have convinced Mr. Kim to offer some of his lights with neutral or warm white emitters. That is one of the only things that has kept me from trying one.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

nightshade

Enlightened

Member of another forum sent me a PL2 as a thank you for mod work. It's become a favorite over the last few months. I've added a 6K XP-G3, custom spring and heavier emitter wires. It really is a efficient driver.
Glad to hear PK is doing well and doing what he does best. :thumbsup:

!mprovise

Newly Enlightened
!mprovise, the silver one was the best seller. Black second and rainbow nearly as popular as black even though it was $10 more. The rainbow one was coated with titanium in a PVD method and electro shocked like they do for anodizing. Much like a tie dye T-shirt, no two were the same.

Thanks for the information! It's a remarkable driver, especially considering the tiny power source. Has anyone runtime tested the medium mode on the PR1?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Not much was written down about PK's consumer lights. At least that I have seen. They just did not take off. It was as if the flashlight world skipped right over them as the competitors flaunted bigger numbers just about the time they arrived. So between the shaping and the "paultry 360 lumens" the PR-1 was kind of seen as that crazy uncle Fred's flashlight. The lumen wars at that time had begun to boast huge numbers with quick fade while PK was touting steady output at lower numbers. He coined the phrase Fake Lumens while the market yawned.

I half press mine to medium out of instinct but have never just left it turned on to see how long it'll run or if it fades over time. I use mine a few minutes a week with a 650 mAh nitecore RCR and charge it a couple times a year. When the fuel cell runs low it defaults to medium then quickly to low. When it does that you have about 5 minutes to swap cells or it dims rapidly to about the brightness of an incan maglite solitaire.

WDR65

Enlightened
Not much was written down about PK's consumer lights. At least that I have seen. They just did not take off. It was as if the flashlight world skipped right over them as the competitors flaunted bigger numbers just about the time they arrived. So between the shaping and the "paultry 360 lumens" the PR-1 was kind of seen as that crazy uncle Fred's flashlight. The lumen wars at that time had begun to boast huge numbers with quick fade while PK was touting steady output at lower numbers. He coined the phrase Fake Lumens while the market yawned.

PK really did the PR-1 right. It really does seem to run forever on high for a single CR123 light. While it's been in replaced as my normal pocket carry I keep one in the truck and one on my dresser. I like to think of them as what a general purpose E series Surefire would have been like, only smaller.

I half press mine to medium out of instinct but have never just left it turned on to see how long it'll run or if it fades over time. I use mine a few minutes a week with a 650 mAh nitecore RCR and charge it a couple times a year. When the fuel cell runs low it defaults to medium then quickly to low. When it does that you have about 5 minutes to swap cells or it dims rapidly to about the brightness of an incan maglite solitaire.