The Official Zebralight Thread .

trojansteel

Newly Enlightened
So I've been out of the flashlight game for about a year and a half. Currently, I've got an HDS, Malkoff, BOSS, tain, and a few others including an older AA Zebralight which I love.

I'm looking to get an 18650 Zebralight, but it looks like there are so many options. I wouldn't mind the headlamp design.

Which is the best High-Cri variant?

Thanks

NPL

Enlightened
In my experience, the sc64c LE With Samsung LED has the best tint and High CRI. I previously owned the h600fc mk iv with high CRI xhp50.2 and sold it because I found the tint too green for my liking. The 80 CRI xhp35 versions should have a good tint, but color rendering especially in reds will be weak compared to 90cri options.

Sent from my Pixel using Candlepowerforums mobile app

trojansteel

Newly Enlightened
In my experience, the sc64c LE With Samsung LED has the best tint and High CRI. I previously owned the h600fc mk iv with high CRI xhp50.2 and sold it because I found the tint too green for my liking. The 80 CRI xhp35 versions should have a good tint, but color rendering especially in reds will be weak compared to 90cri options.

Thanks!

Robot Mania FU

Newly Enlightened
So I've been out of the flashlight game for about a year and a half. Currently, I've got an HDS, Malkoff, BOSS, tain, and a few others including an older AA Zebralight which I love.

I'm looking to get an 18650 Zebralight, but it looks like there are so many options. I wouldn't mind the headlamp design.

Which is the best High-Cri variant?

Thanks

The sc64c LE definitely has the best tint/cri out of the bunch with the LH351d from samsung. I carry an h600fc because I'm finding that I actually prefer the headlamp design even for an edc light, but there is no denying the LH351d if tint/cri is your main concern.

trojansteel

Newly Enlightened

NPL

Enlightened
I like the Samsung high CRI, at least in my copy. Similar to Nichia 219c, if not better. The xhp50.2 high CRI led in the h600fc was significantly more green, there's no comparison.

If Zebralight made a high CRI headlamp with Samsung lh351d LED, I would get one.

AstroTurf

Flashlight Enthusiast
H503c AA LH351D 4000K Neutral White High CRI Flood Headlamp

QUOTE=NPL;5380412]I like the Samsung high CRI, at least in my copy. Similar to Nichia 219c, if not better. The xhp50.2 high CRI led in the h600fc was significantly more green, there's no comparison.

If Zebralight made a high CRI headlamp with Samsung lh351d LED, I would get one.

Sent from my Pixel using Candlepowerforums mobile app[/QUOTE]

Robot Mania FU

Newly Enlightened

That's the exact light I carry daily and I love it. I used to only use it as a head lamp, but I started to find myself missing it when I went back to my other lights. The frosted lens negates the tint shift that some have complained about with the xhp50.2, but I still wouldn't put it as high up as the sc64c LE. If you want the best CRI zebralight has to offer, that's your winner.

Now with that being said, the h600fc 4000k is no slouch. The tint on mine is very clean (mostly due to the frosted lens. The xhp50.2 definitely has some tint shift without it). If I had to compare, I would say it leans a tad more yellow than a 4000k nichia 219. I would still take the LH351D over both.

Last edited:

MX421

Enlightened
H503c AA LH351D 4000K Neutral White High CRI Flood Headlamp

QUOTE=NPL;5380412]I like the Samsung high CRI, at least in my copy. Similar to Nichia 219c, if not better. The xhp50.2 high CRI led in the h600fc was significantly more green, there's no comparison.

[/QUOTE]

Personally i love mules for many purposes. I've been using mules since i got my H602w a few years ago. A even consistant flood is great for all closeup tasks, but sometimes you need some throw. My current H604c and H600Fc are almost as good as my SC64c tintwise, at least for me. I got the H600Fc used and if i had my choice, i would prefer a H600c. I use all three consistently and personally find the Headlamps the best light to take when you go take a pee :D

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very happy with my current 18650 headlamps but looking at upgrading the AA headlamp in my travel bag. I've owned (and extensively used) a ZL H50-Q5 headlamp for many years and its been drop dead reliable and easy to use. The pure flood of the XRE Q5 had been great for up-close tasks and is OK for general purpose as well, but I've developed an appreciation for a more balanced beam such sa my AT Wizard Pro or the Thrunite TH20. I see the newer ZL's (ie H53c) are rated for 80 degree spill and 12 degree hotspot while the flood (H53Fc) is a 90 degree flood... Can anybody comment on how these two compare? It looks to me like the H53Fc is the same reflector as the regular version except with a frosted lens? So not a true flood like my old H50 or the newer H503c?

Also, unrelated question. The old H30-Q5 is advertised as "EMI/RFI Shielded to protect forehead from brightness regulating circuit." Does this have any real-world advantages and is it carried over into the modern ZL offerings?

Last edited:

NPL

Enlightened
The h53fc will probably have a similar beam profile to your AT Wizard, maybe a touch less floody. The H53fc is not a mule, so it will have a more intense center that gradually diffuses into the spill. I personally always recommend the clear glass version (h53c) for the extra throw when needed, and you can add a layer of DC fix on the glass to make it almost identical to the H53fc beam profile. If you get the H53fc, and suddenly need more throw, you can't make it more intense.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
The h53fc will probably have a similar beam profile to your AT Wizard, maybe a touch less floody. The H53fc is not a mule, so it will have a more intense center that gradually diffuses into the spill. I personally always recommend the clear glass version (h53c) for the extra throw when needed, and you can add a layer of DC fix on the glass to make it almost identical to the H53fc beam profile. If you get the H53fc, and suddenly need more throw, you can't make it more intense.

I've played around with diffuser film on my clear Zebralight lenses. But, I still recommend the frosted lens for a headlamp. Sure, you might want the extra throw 1% of the time. The other 99% of the time, you're stuck using diffuser film which isn't as transparent as frosted glass, and you lose some light output. Plus, it can be a hassle removing and reattaching it.

Far easier to use a frosted lens for your headlamp, and carry a straight flashlight with a clear lens for your thrower.

As for mules. Meh, not for me. I really don't like the harsh shadows, and of course the very limited reach.