The Official Zebralight Thread .

Duster1671

Newly Enlightened
Knowing they won't be available forever, I ordered a SC64w HI last week.

Wow, what a flashlight. I also have a SC600w HI and SC64c LE, and the SC64w HI is a really nice compromise in beam shape between the two. Just the perfect mix of throw and flood for general use, and excellent tint as well.

I do have some quibbles with the ZL UI, but if we're looking at performance metrics, the SC64w HI has a strong case for best light in my collection.

Limit_hex

Newly Enlightened
CPF Supporter
Knowing they won't be available forever, I ordered a SC64w HI last week.

Wow, what a flashlight. I also have a SC600w HI and SC64c LE, and the SC64w HI is a really nice compromise in beam shape between the two. Just the perfect mix of throw and flood for general use, and excellent tint as well.

I do have some quibbles with the ZL UI, but if we're looking at performance metrics, the SC64w HI has a strong case for best light in my collection.
The SC64w HI is incredible. I even like the UI, direct access to both high and low, and medium can be reached both from ”below” by hold, and from ”above” by double click. And can be reprogrammed as you like, including levels not in the original set of six. It’s small enough to use as a backup, and even as a holder for a spare 18650 :)

Duster1671

Newly Enlightened
LH - what I dislike about the UI really are just quibbles. It's overall very functional and versatile.

However, here are a few points that I don't like:

1. Sub-mode memory - Unless you're diligent about changing each mode back to the same sub-mode before turning the light off each time, you don't know what state the light will be in when you turn it on. This leads to a lot of double clicking to see if the brightness goes up or down, and then maybe double clicking again to go back.

2. The default of single click to High, double-click to Medium - I find this counterintuitive and it's the reverse of the way other popular UIs work. Plus, it results in the quick flash of High when you turn on at Medium. The solution I use it to switch the H and M mode groups in G6, but that causes...

3. Press and hold to cycle now becomes L-H-M-L-H-M etc. Not as nice as the default L-M-H.

If I could turn off sub-mode memory and reprogram the press-and-hold cycle order, the ZL UI would be really excellent.

3oni

Newly Enlightened
CPF Supporter
If I could turn off sub-mode memory and reprogram the press-and-hold cycle order, the ZL UI would be really excellent.
I believe you can eliminate the sub-mode memory by setting your sub-modes to the same brightness level as their associated primary modes.

LRJ88

Enlightened
Just asking this here because it seems the most frequented by the relevant people.

My SC5 Mk.II started flashing randomly when i turned it on the other day, clicking the button again to turn it off it started ramping low to high over and over again, i unscrewed the tailcap and screwed it back on again only to find it go on in low mode. After unscrewing the tailcap again i actuated the switch a couple of times to make sure there wasn't an issue there and tightened the tailcap again, once more met with the light turning on. I replaced the battery, figuring maybe that'd help, but i was met with the same result again. Finally i turned it off and let it rest for a few minutes with the tailcap off, and once i put it back on again the flashlight was back to factory settings, all my mode groups had been reset to factory settings.

I've attempted to find anything on this a bit all over the place, but i haven't found anything relevant to this issue. If anyone has experienced something similar or knows what's going on i'd appreciate hearing about it.

JimIslander

Enlightened
CPF Supporter
Just asking this here because it seems the most frequented by the relevant people.

My SC5 Mk.II started flashing randomly when i turned it on the other day, clicking the button again to turn it off it started ramping low to high over and over again, i unscrewed the tailcap and screwed it back on again only to find it go on in low mode. After unscrewing the tailcap again i actuated the switch a couple of times to make sure there wasn't an issue there and tightened the tailcap again, once more met with the light turning on. I replaced the battery, figuring maybe that'd help, but i was met with the same result again. Finally i turned it off and let it rest for a few minutes with the tailcap off, and once i put it back on again the flashlight was back to factory settings, all my mode groups had been reset to factory settings.

I've attempted to find anything on this a bit all over the place, but i haven't found anything relevant to this issue. If anyone has experienced something similar or knows what's going on i'd appreciate hearing about it.
Haven't seen this, but it sounds like a stuck switch. I'd cycle it about 100 times and see if it fixes it. Any exposure to chemicals or syrup?

LRJ88

Enlightened
Haven't seen this, but it sounds like a stuck switch. I'd cycle it about 100 times and see if it fixes it. Any exposure to chemicals or syrup?
It isn't doing it now, and i've attempted to replicate it without the switch doing anything like that again. No exposure to anything apart from random water splashes, sweat, rain etc. that shouldn't affect the switch like this. I could understand the stuck switch, but that wouldn't also reset the flashlight like this.

Full disclosure, the flashlight has been serviced earlier due to it having abnormally high parasitic drain, it drained a 2,000 mAh battery in just a few days when off, i'm unsure if that can have anything to do with this either.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
A 2014 purchased SC62d got plum wore out. I sent it to ZL. Months later got it back all spiffy. No sure how many months later started randomly turning itself off on dog walks. Initially, removing and replacing the tailcap got back on track but then even that began to not work most of the time. I'm not sending it back; ended up buying a new Zebralight and pleased with the LE.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Does it do anything else prior to fudging up again?

Nope. It never happens on its own. I'll go to click it on to use it and it will start randomly blocking and going off and on. Clicking the switch at that point does nothing.

Unscrewing the tailcap to break the connection, then retightening, fixes it until the next time it happens.

LRJ88

Enlightened
Nope. It never happens on its own. I'll go to click it on to use it and it will start randomly blocking and going off and on. Clicking the switch at that point does nothing.

Unscrewing the tailcap to break the connection, then retightening, fixes it until the next time it happens.
So in other words there's no way to really predict it either. Out of my 2 Zebralights only the SC5 II has been acting iffy on its own rather than from outside influence.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
So in other words there's no way to really predict it either. Out of my 2 Zebralights only the SC5 II has been acting iffy on its own rather than from outside influence.

Correct. It's particularly noticable on my SC64w-HI that I EDC. I don't carry any of my others enough to get a sense of what effects it, but I can tell you it's happened on my SC53* as well.