The Official Zebralight Thread .

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Since you mentioned these are two different models the shocking difference you are perceiving is most likely caused by Lux (throw) and general beam pattern differences and not the Lumens.
No, one has a stainless steel bezel with a very poorly designed outside charging port. The other one is half an inch longer, aluminum bezel, and no outside charging port. Clips, tailcaps, and bodies are identical too. The latter is a slightly older model.

Mr. LED

Enlightened
Lowest mode on the SC65c is good, much better and lower than SC64w. But still sometimes too bright, my HDS can go way lower (and so as my older Zebras).

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Clips, tailcaps, and bodies are identical too.
are we clear on Lux vs Lumens?
are you saying both lights have the same size and depth of reflector, same size LED, hotspot and spill? (smaller LEDs w less lumens can have a brighter hotspot, more LUX on target)

I do believe your eyes are an excellent tool for comparing beam Intensity (Lux, not Lumens) in a side by side comparison.

I would ask you to post a photo, but, since this thread is about Zebras.. we may be going too far astray.. My main point is a smaller more focused hotspot will look brighter on target..The metric that accounts for this is Candela per Lumen.. an HDS for example runs about 15 Cd/Lumen, and people often misinterpret this to mean that HDS Lumens are more accurate than other lights Lumens claims.. this is not correct.. the HDS just tends to have a smaller, more focused hotspot, more Lux in the Hotspot

Monocrom

Flashaholic
are we clear on Lux vs Lumens?
are you saying both lights have the same size and depth of reflector, same size LED, hotspot and spill? (smaller LEDs w less lumens can have a brighter hotspot, more LUX on target)
Yes, everything same except what was pointed out above. Same emitter. But clearly driven harder to increase the output. Believe me, I was more surprised than you are.

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surprised nobody is talking about the new Zebralight A6 Headlamp that is up for sale on their website. There are pictures and everything. Unique magnet placement on this one. I don't know much about the Luxeon led. Is it any good. Price looks good too.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unique magnet placement
word on the street is that is going to be used for magnetic charging

you may want to wait for the other shoe to drop, before being an early adopter

> I don't know much about the Luxeon led. Is it any good.

not for my tastes
it is Low CRI, but if that does not matter to you...
maybe wait for others to report whether the Tint is Green or not

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Well, looks like I'm not buying ANY future Zebralight products. I despise magnetic charging. Honestly, it's being different just for the sake of being different. The charging cables are not common as dirt. You can't just simply go to the nearest hardware store and pick up a new charging cable if the old one becomes de-magnitized.

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zebra A6

ZebA6.jpg

ZebA6b.jpg

ZebA6c.jpg

Attachments

• ZebA6d.jpg
    ZebA6d.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 78

The Whispering Gallery

Newly Enlightened
The new A6 looks great…I'd love magnetic charging in such a compact ZL headlamp personally. Hope they introduce that feature at some point. Unsure if magnetic charging would require a proprietary battery but for now it specifies unprotected flat top and I'm guessing any proprietary cell would be longer and unable to fit without changes to the body design.

Thanks ZL for taking some risks and introducing some new models recently!

raggie33

*the raggedier*
I'm just a guy on the internet but I say under the right management zebra would be doing so much better. But I didn't even stay at a holiday inn last night so take my input with a grain a of garlic

brightasday

Newly Enlightened
. . . I love my sub-lumen brightness just as much as the next guy, but at some point, it's not usable. The only exception I can think of is if someone wanted to leave it on that level 24/7, as a way to find the light, but that will only work if you're looking right at the emitter.

HNY to you as well.
I love the lowest setting on the SC700d (.04 lumens). I do leave it on 24x7. Generally it is enough to navigate around my house at night. If I'm not using it, it is head down on a cloth doily my wife has on my nightstand. Enough light seeps through the gaps in the doily to make it easy to find in the middle of the night, but not enough to be noticeable if I'm not looking for it.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I love the lowest setting on the SC700d (.04 lumens). I do leave it on 24x7. Generally it is enough to navigate around my house at night. If I'm not using it, it is head down on a cloth doily my wife has on my nightstand. Enough light seeps through the gaps in the doily to make it easy to find in the middle of the night, but not enough to be noticeable if I'm not looking for it.
This is what I'm talking about. The SC65 on the right and the SC64 on the left. I really can't believe the difference in dimness on the lowest level. The SC65 has the dimmest lowest level of all my ZL. It would be OK to keep track of the light at night, but really not enough for navigation.

Attachments

• IMG_20231230_130356957_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231230_130356957_HDR.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20231230_130502842.jpg
    IMG_20231230_130502842.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 71

Mr. LED

Enlightened
This is what I'm talking about. The SC65 on the right and the SC64 on the left. I really can't believe the difference in dimness on the lowest level. The SC65 has the dimmest lowest level of all my ZL. It would be OK to keep track of the light at night, but really not enough for navigation.
The SC65c HI is low enough, but still far from the lowest of the current AA lights and older 18650 as well. SC64w HI is too high for my taste.

Bob_McBob

Enlightened
I can confirm that the SC65c HI driver has been updated to add the missing comp passives. This should give a bit of an efficiency bump over original production lights, though I doubt most people will notice anything in typical usage.

(reposting this because I just realized CPF's image uploader inexplicably does not remove EXIF data)

foto_no_exif.jpg

Mr. LED

Enlightened
Anyone else noticed that the lowest moonlight on the SC65c getting dimmer after some use? I noticed this in two different flashlights, one from the early batches and one with the updated driver. When I bought them, L4 was equivalent to HDS (200 lumen Nichia 219B 4000k) fourth level. After some weeks of daily use, both are now lower than HDS level 1 (0.02 lumen), which means that the SC65c HI is the advertised 0.01 lumen.

The question is, why did it happen only after a few weeks of use? Circuit burned in? Am I crazy?