The Official Zebralight Thread .

archimedes

Flashaholic
I'm sure others have done this, but I now found a great solution for my main issue with the UI.

In the G6 (or G7) mode bank, I program H1 to "low" and L1 to "high" which removes the timing needed to simply single-click to a low output. If I want high output, I can "click-hold" , but I don't get blasted if I miss the timing when I want low.

If, for some reason, I want to swap back to a "standard" ZL UI ... it is rather easy to swap H1 to H2 and L1 to L2 :poof:

I like this system much better :twothumbs

ven

Flashaholic
Yes archi, as i like simple...........:whistle: With the latest drivers, my H1 and H2 are set to my 2 most used levels. I always like a pretty high level on tap, i also like a do it all, kind of useful for most applications level. Of course a variable, but on a ZL around the 100-200lm type levels. I can use for prolonged periods without heat issues, its not unbearable closer up and can be used for moderate distance.......hence do it all. If i want to swap around, double tap and done. So in ways its like having a dual mode light within a H(could be M or L ).

So one example would be walking the dog, lower level around the streets, on the field the double tap to higher output to scan about. Double tap to lower when the dog is close by......

How do you find the ano? After surefires natural HA, its my fav bar none!(inc HDS and elzetta).

bignc

Enlightened
I'm sure others have done this, but I now found a great solution for my main issue with the UI.

In the G6 (or G7) mode bank, I program H1 to "low" and L1 to "high" which removes the timing needed to simply single-click to a low output. If I want high output, I can "click-hold" , but I don't get blasted if I miss the timing when I want low.

If, for some reason, I want to swap back to a "standard" ZL UI ... it is rather easy to swap H1 to H2 and L1 to L2 :poof:

Well dang. That's pretty smart. Lol I don't know if I am glad or not that you figured that out. :) But I AM glad you are enjoying them! I am definitely enjoying my end of the trade too.

Also, it's acceptable to post here because my boy's both have ZL headlamps that I purchased for them. :) One a single 123 and one a single AA. Both like them and use them in emergencies. :)

archimedes

Flashaholic
I've only just received these two days ago, so not yet put the finish to the test, haha.

I'm somewhat surprised how different the anodize is between my SC53w (smooth, very dark slate olive, "slick" to touch, and seemingly quite a thick coating) and my SC62w (appears lighter in both color and thickness, more of a greyish-tan, and with a bit of grippy kinda sandy texture)

I definitely prefer the first of those, looks great to me !

The only clearly better anodize I've seen has been on the Frelux, which is really in another class by itself :eek:oo:

ven

Flashaholic
The herd will no doubt grow, other than surefire, off the top of my head, i dont think i own more of one brand. Their headlamps are excellent, so are the sc600 HI 4500k........i have been pondering the 700 for a while as well:crazy:

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Was mostly interested in the Samsung emitter. That is super helpful info, thanks.
I was quite impressed with the Samsung. It had a noticeable yellowish corona when used indoors but outside it was hard to tell it apart from my favorite 219b. It did have some tint shift at lower levels, but not much. Slightly more than with 219b but definitely less than an SST-20.

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
My SC53w on High gets hot on Eneloop.
My SC52w on High stays cool on Eneloop.
What is your guys experience ?

Last edited:

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast

Exactly how I set mine up. Flip the low and high positions. Also removes that pre-flash issue.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
My SC53w on High gets hot on Eneloop.
My SC52w on High stays cool on Eneloop.
What is your guys experience ?

It makes sense that the SC53 gets hotter than the SC52 on an Eneloop, since the SC53 max is higher.

My experience, with the AA Zebralights operating on an Eneloop, is

SC52 - gets slightly warm after a few minutes
SC52w - gets warmer than the SC52 (probably because the neutral white is less efficient)
SC5w - gets very hot after a few minutes (bumping it back up to 500 lumens every 3 minutes)

Interestingly, the SC52's on a 14500 lithium-ion cell don't get that hot even after a few minutes (500 lumen output on a 14500). They step-down after 1 minute on a 14500, which is ridiculously short IMO. I can step them back up several times before they get hot. They should have made the step-down timer to be 3 minutes, same as the SC5.

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I set it on the lowest H1 can be set and all is good. Plenty of light does not get hot anymore.
Love the SC53w. Get one [emoji1690]

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Question for the zebra junkies. Has anyone abandoned their regular zebras in favor of the headlamp style? Just curious if you've found the right angle lights to be overall better for you over the straight. I've got my first zebra headlamp en route but always wondered how well I'd like using one when it's not attached to the head strap.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Question for the zebra junkies. Has anyone abandoned their regular zebras in favor of the headlamp style? Just curious if you've found the right angle lights to be overall better for you over the straight. I've got my first zebra headlamp en route but always wondered how well I'd like using one when it's not attached to the head strap.

Not me and I have tried to get used to it too.
I just prefer the correct light for the application in the end.
There is no substitute for the HL when called for and the same for the Handheld in my world which is fine as I just have spare batteries all the time in the end which can never be a bad thing.

NPL

Enlightened
It's totally doable but I find it tedious to remove the light from silicone holder. It's also nicer to hand hold a flashlight as opposed to right angle light.

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
Using a right-angle ZL as a hand-held? Totally possible.

My H52w is my don't-leave-home-without-it light, and it always rides in my right front pocket, without a headband. I have used it as a hand-held light quite a lot.

However -- after doing that for quite a lot of time, I have to say that the straight-line format (mine is an SC64w-HI) is actually more convenient for waving around in your hand. It just indexes more easily with where you want to point. It's also a bit easier to carry the SC-line of lights as deep-carry pocket clip lights. Not impossible, with the headlamps, but not as convenient.

So if I can have only one, I carry the H52w. But nowadays I almost always keep the SC64 in my left pocket.

(Just did a house inspection, all through the basement, attic, walls, roof, etc.. I brought my H600w in the head-strap as my headlamp, and was grateful for it in the attic. I brought the SC64w-HI as my handheld, and used it in every room in the house. And my H52w rode in my pocket the whole time -- but I was glad to have it in there!)

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nope. To much of a hassle taking it out of the strap, and I've always got a few other regular Zebras on hand, so it's just not necessary.

I will say this though, I waited quite a while to get my first headlamp, thinking it's usefulness would be limited, but once I got it, I found myself reaching for it more and more as I began to realize how incredibly useful it is to have both hands free and the light always aimed right where I'm looking.

I'll bet you find the same thing. But with all that said, I still use my regular ZLs nightly on my job, where a headlamp just wouldn't work as well.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the replies folks. Well I now have an H53c AND an SC53w on the way. Not sure what happened. I was doing sooooooo well not buying lights.......for a little while at least. I'll be glad to get some Zebras back in my paws for sure though.

TangibleOblivion

Newly Enlightened
I just got my first Zebralight. It's an SC62 and was on backorder, but for $59.00 I couldn't turn it down. Despite that, I got the light in 3 days! It's flawless, everything lines up just right ans the finish is perfect. I am wondering if anyone has modified a head strap to use this as a headlamp. I have plenty of headlamps but I have been messing around with velcro straps to attach the light to a head strap. I'm going to try to try to find something similar to the plastic piece that holds a bike pump to the frame so I can just snap the SC62 in and out at will. I'll post pics if I find a good solution....