The Official Zebralight Thread .

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, even though Zebralight doesn't publish any drop specs, I think it's reasonable to expect that both the light and the battery will survive a 1 meter drop onto a hard surface. These are not inexpensive lights!

Personally, I have dropped some of my AA zebras, and they have survived fine. I'm more careful of the 18650 models, since I don't like to trash my cells. IMO, this is a design flaw that should be addressed. Even if it means adding 1mm to the length of the light. I think they may have partially addressed the issue by adding more pogo pins, but from what I've read, it doesn't seem to eliminate the problem.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I've said it before. I'd take a ZL that was 1/4-1/2 inch longer, to better accommodate and protect the cell. I'm actually disturbed to hear that these lights are so fragile, if that's really the case.

WTF good is an EDC, if you have to hope and pray that every time you drop it, it will refire? I'm not one that drops my stuff, but damn, a waist high drop onto any surface should not render a product useless.

Maybe I should reconsider my EDC going forward.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Last edited:

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Personally I have sent back 2 ZL's that were dead after a drop. Both 18650 one headlamp one SC600. If you're concerned about a drop proof light I'll highly suggest a HDS. Can't have it all, ZL's are great lights, just don't drop them lol.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Personally I have sent back 2 ZL's that were dead after a drop. Both 18650 one headlamp one SC600. If you're concerned about a drop proof light I'll highly suggest a HDS. Can't have it all, ZL's are great lights, just don't drop them lol.
Seriously, hearing this really makes me give 2nd thoughts to keeping a ZL as my EDC. Why would I or anyone else want to risk this? I always have a 1xAAA as a secondary light, just in case, but obviously the output isn't comparable.

Is this this case for all 18650 iterations of ZL? What about there AA platform?

This really bums me out hearing this. What's the point of potting?

nightshade

Enlightened
Mine are older models, and it's purely anecdotal, but my H52 and H600 have endured dozens of falls. Many to concrete and steel surfaces and most greater than 1 meter height.

Connor

Enlightened

Could you tell us what exactly was broken after these drops? I had the impression that ZLs are reasonably robust (except for the "flat-top terminal getting smashed in on an unlucky drop" thing).

Last edited:

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
Talking about damage, i droped SC64w HI last week from aircraft cockpit by accident. Roughly 10ft hight. Other than dented tailcap, no other damage or malfunctions.
Maybe there are Monday batches that are a bit more sensitive then others...

Sent from Tapatalk

SYZYGY

Enlightened
these lights seem designed to be small and light. you can probably only make them so sturdy.
that said, i've dropped mine from waist height onto concrete a few times with no issues. just lucky i guess.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seriously, hearing this really makes me give 2nd thoughts to keeping a ZL as my EDC. Why would I or anyone else want to risk this? I always have a 1xAAA as a secondary light, just in case, but obviously the output isn't comparable.

Is this this case for all 18650 iterations of ZL? What about there AA platform?

This really bums me out hearing this. What's the point of potting?

I think you're over reacting a bit. I've used my Zebras at work every night for many years, and while I'm careful with my gear, they do get dropped occasionally, and it's never resulted in a light that wouldn't fire. Of course, I always have a 2nd light, just in case, but typically, the only time I need it is when I actually need two lights simultaneously for lighting a path.

I'm sorry GPS Rider had a bad experience with his light as well as with ZL customer service, but no light is perfect, and no company is perfect, not even HDS. Anything man made is going to have a chance of failure, which is why one of our flashaholic tenants is to always carry a backup, especially in mission critical situations.

As others have mentioned, I don't believe the dented cell experienced by GPS Rider was the result of a "defect", but rather, bad luck in the way his light landed. However, it does point out an area where there might be room for improvement in ZL's design, and should, by all means, be brought to their attention.

I do occasionally purchase a light from a different company, just for grins and to see what's out there, but I've yet to find a light that I prefer to any of my Zebras, and so, I will continue to use them nightly at work.

Luminesce

Newly Enlightened
Just watched the video of post #311 for the "Re: Fraz Labs Mechanical Flashlights thread...". I'm sure others have "abused" their lights by accident but the video shows taking abuse too a whole new level, enjoy!

GPS Rider

Newly Enlightened
Excellent suggestion, sir, thank you!

I always add a 16mm x 1mm (ID x CS) o-ring up front when applicable. Works great with the raised positive of the GA.

I have also experienced the misfortune of dented cells with ZL in the past. None since installing a bumper at the positive.

GPS Rider

Newly Enlightened
I've got three of Henry's lights, and while they are exceptional lights and very sturdy, they are not really well suited for duty use, either. My duty use lights are all made by Mr. Malkoff.

SYZYGY

Enlightened
Re: The Official Zebralight Thread

Just watched the video of post #311 for the "Re: Fraz Labs Mechanical Flashlights thread...". I'm sure others have "abused" their lights by accident but the video shows taking abuse too a whole new level, enjoy!

would enjoy it more with a link to the post (or better yet, the video) in question. why make us search?

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...ttery-Crush)&p=5405552&viewfull=1#post5405552

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qexi1iPo_4k

it was satisfying seeing it fly through the air.

Last edited:

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Ha ha I didn't mean to create a poop storm by my comment. Please note I have had at least 15 maybe more ZL's over the years and have dropped some of them with no harm. Guess the 2 that quit working I dropped them just right. Both on to hard surfaces.

Nascar, I wouldn't stop carrying ZL man, they are great. Loving my SC64 LE with Samsung 4000K. Probably my favorite.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Ha ha I didn't mean to create a poop storm by my comment. Please note I have had at least 15 maybe more ZL's over the years and have dropped some of them with no harm. Guess the 2 that quit working I dropped them just right. Both on to hard surfaces.

Nascar, I wouldn't stop carrying ZL man, they are great. Loving my SC64 LE with Samsung 4000K. Probably my favorite.
I agree. I'm not going to cease carrying what I think is my best EDC for a potential problem that's never occurred to me. If and when it does happen, I'll make a decision at that time.

Luminesce

Newly Enlightened

would enjoy it more with a link to the post (or better yet, the video) in question. why make us search?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qexi1iPo_4k

it was satisfying seeing it fly through the air.

I may be wrong in my understanding of CPF posting rules but I thought that they do not want us to Double or Cross Post links to other CPF posts. Didn't think about posting the link to youtube. Since no one has mentioned it yet, even though the 1st video may cause a few people to say "ouch", Fraz's 2nd video, https://youtu.be/oISuKpfAZrk is even better, if not a bit painful to watch :eek:

If I didn't already have a variety of ZL's to suit my needs at this time, one of his lights would make a good bedside light with its variable brightness ability. Interesting flashlight, would make a unique gift for someone who can appreciate such a gift.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Well, that's it, I've totally lost it. You know you're getting old when you forget about one of the spares you have, that's been tucked away, just in case.

42623ad4f19dab57931185cefbda3c49.jpg

SYZYGY

Enlightened

I may be wrong in my understanding of CPF posting rules but I thought that they do not want us to Double or Cross Post links to other CPF posts. Didn't think about posting the link to youtube. Since no one has mentioned it yet, even though the 1st video may cause a few people to say "ouch", Fraz's 2nd video, https://youtu.be/oISuKpfAZrk is even better, if not a bit painful to watch :eek:

If I didn't already have a variety of ZL's to suit my needs at this time, one of his lights would make a good bedside light with its variable brightness ability. Interesting flashlight, would make a unique gift for someone who can appreciate such a gift.

you even edited the link out of the post you quoted. haha :confused:

i believe you misinterpreted the rule (my emphasis on the operative words):

CPF Rule 9 said:
DO NOT post a thread whose sole purpose is to link to or refer to another thread on the board, whether it is yours or someone else's.

also, that light you linked to looks tough. he gave it a good smack.

-----

on another note, maybe i misunderstood, but it sounded like it was implied that ZL designing around unprotected cells makes for a worse situation in drops due to denting or whatever. if that's the case, can someone please explain?

Last edited:

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
This is one of my SC64w Hi versions, that's been my EDC since owning it. I continue to try and trick it out, so it better meet my needs.

My 1st addition was the magnet. It holds pretty well, but I do want to find a greyish colored marker or something, so it blends in a bit better. My 2nd thing was wrapping a piece of D-C Fix around the 18650 for those few times that I want or need to smooth out the hotspot.

My 3rd and most recent modification was to install this green tritium glow vial, which allows an easier means to find the light on my dresser.

4db6ba12220e5f5b574cdd0113c8e562.jpg
e415839ff0a3cc36e18fd66c39c69cf4.jpg
96a05434979b1303f3e7b523be6589c4.jpg
ae8501b50fd6cc3edc8b61ce77f8423c.jpg
c5df6e4337677e3a909c9898b4d733ee.jpg