The Official Zebralight Thread .

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
How does the 519A compare to other Nichias?
519a is up to 50% brighter, has equally fantastic 9080 CRI, without the pink tint, unless dedomed, which produces a color that I cannot resist. They are the same 3535 footprint size, same solder pads, the dome is larger on the 519a (larger hotspot, like LH351d and XPL).

I have been carrying a dedomed 4500k 519a since I got it (it is now 3500k), the middle light:

3XYaraE.jpg

You can get a Zebra w dedomed 519a, and experience it for yourself:

Bob_McBob said:
plqxk024j8e81.jpg

Bob is one of the only people that offers Nichia 9080 CRI LED upgrades for Zebras. He has 219b options also. Highly Recommended.

fwiw, the LH351d is a 9050 LED, it is weaker in Red Color Rendering than the 9080 Nichias.

Last edited:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Slider, how is the beam profile different between the LH351d and the dedomed 519a in a ZL LE? That is, do you think the 519a without dome is a suitable general purpose light, or has quite a bit more throw?

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Slider, how is the beam profile different between the LH351d and the dedomed 519a in a ZL LE? That is, do you think the 519a without dome is a suitable general purpose light, or has quite a bit more throw?
I use 519a dedomed for EDC. the Hotspot is just slightly smaller than 219b, similar to SST-20. Also similar to SSC-P4 in a Novatac...

I dont consider those "too" throwy, Im used to tight, focused, HDS/McGizmo/Malkoff style hotspots. I find them very versatile. Im not a fan of diffused beams, dont use DCFix, and I dont usually EDC a Floody beam. I do like floody beams for headlamps and camp cooking, arms reach tasks.. but I edc a single LED in a conventional reflector.

For dogwalking, you may prefer the domed version, with its slightly larger hotspot. If you like XPL and LH351d hotspot size better than 219b..., then you can leave the dome on 519a, and get a very neutral tint with a larger hotspot, and better Red Color Rendering than LH351d, and less green tint.

I dont own a selection of Zebras to post a beam profile comparison, suggest you ask Bob_McBob.. he probably has one of everything.. lol

Last edited:

brightasday

Newly Enlightened
Over the years Zebralight has listed a number of "A" models. To the best of my knowledge, not one has ever been released. I think the A6, the latest in the series to be listed on the spreadsheet, has been listed for more than a year now. Because of the history of the other A models, I'm skeptical this one will ever be sold.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've noticed many lights on the ZL website are out of stock, so last week when I saw that theSC53w was back in stock, I jumped on it, and now that it's arrived, I'm really glad I did. Super small and light, absolutely perfect fit and finish, and of course that wonderful ZL UI.

This little puppy is plenty bright for 99% of my needs, and that lovely .013 lumen moonlight level is just right for my late night bathroom visits, with enough light to navigate, but not so much as to make it difficult to get back to sleep.

Of course the LED, while perfectly centered, has the usual light green/cyan tint, but that was easily corrected with a minus green filter, and the beam profile is quite nice, with a good balance of center spot and fill. The color rendering, once filtered, is still not quite as good as my HI CRI Zebra lights, but it's quite close.

All-in-all, a near perfect single AA light in my opinion, and highly recommended if and when you can find it in stock.
ZL-SC53w-800x600.jpg

Duster1671

Enlightened
In the mail today came a SC64w modded with a 3000K 90+ CRI XHP35 HI. This essentially turns the otherwise unappealing (to me) SC64w into a warm white high CRI SC64w HI.

Really incredible beam on this. ~850 lumens on level 12 with quite neutral tint that has almost no shift across the beam. Color rendering is not at 219b level, but a respectable Ra of 90 and R9 of 60.

I'll add some beamshots later...

Edit: "level 12" was "level 10". This makes 850 lumens max...

Last edited:

Duster1671

Enlightened
Zebralight Beamshot - Copy (2).JPG

This photo was taken with WB at 5000K and is reasonably close to what I see by eye.

As with any comparison of this nature, the differences are magnified by comparing lights side-by-side. This is true for the photo and what I see in person.

Last edited:

E=mAh²

Newly Enlightened
zebra needs to change there name to out of stock.com
I suppose zebra is kinda fitting tho cuz it's just like the real life animal (probably named after the flashlights) in that when they were first discovered by people not native to Africa everybody just thought they were the coolest thing since fruity flavored gum with tattoos on the wrappers (also most likely named after the illumination tools...)

Untill... One day there was a one less than the day before, then less and less zebras and eventually several hundred/thousand +?? Less... When at one time they were thriving in abundance now not so much... Sounds a little familiar??🤔

hatman

Enlightened
Any chance of finding an SC51c in good condition?
Mine was stolen by my former dog walker.
Then I watched as she sold much of my collection on eBay, which refused to stop the sales, divulge who purchased my items or help in any way.
The thief confessed to police and was sentenced to make restitution but then didn't for three years.
I loved my 51c.
If I can't find another, could I somehow mod my SC52w to give it roughly the same beautiful tint?
Thanks for any help.