The old school tools thread. Vintage flashlight retrofits.

Wurkkos

vestureofblood

This thread is created for the appreciation of vintage flashlights, and celebrating the pioneers who paved the road for our way of life.

Every attempt has been made to keep these pieces of flashaholic artwork as original as possible, with the acceptation of using a modern light engine.

The lights in this thread are builds done for customers who sent me a host, not lights for sale. However a cost of work will be posted on some to give others an idea of price if they have a similar host. The dollar amount will reflect parts and labor minus the host.

Additional lights will be added as they are completed :D

First up is Tom Kreins' Light Master host circa 1938.

The rust/corrosion in the tail cap and other areas was removed, but the patina remains in tact.

The head was outfitted with a large heat sink, new lens and reflector.

A driver, body sleeve and a new tail spring were also added creating a perfect fit for 1x 26650.

I really cant describe the feeling I get when I walked out side with this light weight elegant piece of history in hand and unleashed the soft smooth glow and even hot spot of a Cree XML2 and MOP reflector.

:popcorn: Subscribe to this thread for more great retrofits.

Last edited:

vestureofblood

I'm hoping so too bigC. I realized about a week after I ordered your host that is was from an overseas seller... Tracking has it in New York city now though so it shouldn't be too long.

vestureofblood

BigC your light is all set to go. "Tiger head brand" is the name I found on that host BTW.

Since you didn't need a driver board, I was able to squeeze a pair of 26650 and a tail spring in it.

3600+ lumens from this bad boy.

Pretty useful too, especially indoors.

Control shot

That mule gives you the WOW THAT'S BRIGHT!! Effect, without the eye piercing bounce back.

vestureofblood

Yep, it turns out this host had the best momentary switch of all of them I have done so far. No real corrosion to speak of and the button works every time.

ven

CPF Supporter
Now that beam is what i call perfection for me, really love that xhp70 mule................hit home i need one of those in my life!

Amazing work, love the old/new retro style, just superb!!!!

Exeter354

CPF Supporter
Absolutely gorgeous work!!! Old world meets new...love it!!! If the original manufacturers had any idea of how their lights would be upgraded in the future, they would have been blow away by the prospect! Actually, they probably would have said, "no way...impossible!"