the perfect light dont exist maybe it wont ever

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i was really like the baton 3 started saving for it and then i see it uses some stupid olight battery. . i was loving the amazeing runtimes verses lumens on it. but hate special batts

3_gun

Enlightened
The perfect light doesn't & most likely will never exist. It's not just the Olight battery issue but it surely doesn't help. I use my light indoor, at ranges less than 50' & for longer than normal runs.

This weekend my light was on a mid range (approx 125/150L) for 5 straight hours. It will make 2k/L max but it will never make a 100yd+ throw.

Flood v. throw, run time v. lumens, add in CRI, K & UI & one light hitting the mark across the board is just about impossible. I'd need an EDC 18650 2000L zoomie with a run time of at least 4hrs@ 250L, a CRI of a min of 90 & a throw of at least 100yds + a IP46min & 2m drop.

Nothing comes close so I own & use more than 3 good lights for what they're good at

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Reminded of the many variations of the hypothetical if you only had one {thing} for {task} what would you choose question often resulting in a lot of weird duck responses (it can swim, walk, and fly!) that might not otherwise make a "best of" list for even a single category but can score better than others across an arbitrarily broad rubric ... often at considerable expense.

Or the case gets awfully subjective. i.e. I have a light that fulfills nearly all of my personal requirements consisting primarily of short dog walking outings in the suburbs - a frosted-optic Emisar D4 - but clearly that's not going to hit enough points on everyone else's list.

Nothing comes close so I own & use more than 3 good lights for what they're good at
I think this is a better idea. The general approach would identify the general performance categories of interest to the user -i.e. going with just 3 lights I can foresee a medium-power throw, high-power large-area, task low-power lighting being 3 areas to consider a specialty lights for with consideration for common cells if cost and logistics are to be minimized.

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
going with just 3 lights
Sorry, my heart stopped for a moment 😲
Not having just 3 lights, going with, or carrying 3 lights? Right?
I usually only carry 2 or 3 lights. On my person. A few more if I have my pack. I agree you have to carry a minimum of 2 lights. 1 low power, smaller light, for dark navigation. 1 higher power, bigger battery to light up the dark.

chip100t

Enlightened
I don't think we will ever be happy and will always want just a bit more than what we have already.If you asked someone 50 years ago what the perfect light would be, we probably would have surpassed that. And if you presented them with what we have now it would blow their mind.

Last edited:

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think we will ever be happy and will always want just a bit more than what we have already.If you asked someone 50 years ago what the perfect light would be, we probably would have surpassed that. And if you presented them with what we have now it would blow their mind.
Hey, I was around then, and it certainly blows mine now!:)

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I think we have to compare past lights in our own history with today's lights. Lights today are "more perfect" than those in the past especially the farther in the past you go. Until we find indestructible nuclear powered flashlights we will have to deal with batteries both charging them and replacing them over time and concern about batteries going obsolete also.

I do think that the choices today are huge compared to 10 years ago and enormous compared to 15+ years ago however.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Hey, I was around then, and it certainly blows mine now!:)
I think I was more satisfied back then, simply because the choices were so limited. Push button (or rather slide switch), light comes out.... good enough. Light no worky, bump against the palm, light worky.... good enough.

Then one day the neighbor had a Maglite and the game changed forever.

chip100t

Enlightened
I watched this programme where there was this lady selling homemade sauces and chutneys at a farmers market. She offered on her stall 40 different choices that she made herself and could barely cover her costs. An expert told her the reason you are not selling as many as you need is because you are offering too much choice. People can't make up their mind and then walk away without buying.

The stall holder refused to believe him so he challenged here to only bring twelve choices to the market next week to test his theory if she did not believe him.

So the next week she took only the twelve sauces that she sold the most of. and to her surprise she sold out.

Just goes to show the more choices we have mostly causes The more indecision.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Just goes to show the more choices we have mostly causes The more indecision.
Last time I visited a Cheesecake Factory restaurant the menu was extensive - easily 20 pages - to the point that I imagine it takes patrons an additional ~10 minutes vs other restaurants just to scan the entire thing to decide what to eat. I fell for that pitfall the first time I visited but on subsequent visits opened to a random page and scanned one direction or the other until I found something I liked - skipping the optimal choice trap.