The "photon" led?!?!?

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
www.action-electronics.com/leds.htm#Photon
link shows the"actual led used in the photon microlights. can a few of you take a peek at this, are these leds any more special than any other high brightness leds out there or are the just standard nichia leds. The price seems VERY high for regular nichia leds if that is what they are! If they are something special then I might consider them if not, does any body know any links or part numbers to get high brightness nichia white leds?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
You'd be getting raped if you buy any of the LEDs at those prices; but the stick really gets jammed up there if you pay $6 for one of the red or yellow LEDs.
shocked.gif

Those should be in the $0.50 to maybe $1 range each.
The "exotic" colors should not cost more than $3 apiece.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
the reds are superbright anthe leds are worth every penny

Here in the "land of high prices" I can get Toshiba red LEDs for the equivalent of US$1-ish (and that`s for one-off). Those are about 8000mcd each @20mA, and could very likely be the same type used by Streamlight in their Stylus range, and by doubtless other manufacturers too. They are very bright

No idea about what Photon or Arc use (as I don`t yet have that colour in those lights), and I don`t know what brand those LEDs are, that are sold in that link up there, but you`re really paying too much if you`re happy with $5-6 each! 5mm red LEDs, no matter how bright, are older technology and made in their millions by proven processes, out of relatively common ingredients (well I say common, that`s not strictly true but relatively speaking they are). They do not cost nearly as much to make as the blue, white, etc, and should not cost nearly as much to buy.

And before you ask, Luxeon Stars don`t count- they`re a brand new technology. In time, it may turn out that the red and amber will sell for less than the white and blue, but at today`s relatively small quantities, it doesn`t work like that. They`re still in development after all.

And remember- when it comes to LEDs, mr Johnson knows what he`s on about! Disagree with him at your peril.....
shocked.gif

tongue.gif

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, we have had a tough time trying to find a good red LED for the Arc. We are currently use the Toshiba 8000mcd (TLSH180P). But to tell you the truth, I think they are minimal at best. Same is true for the yellow and orange we use. I have sampled quite a few and haven't found any as good as what LRI uses. So, now we buy our red, orange, yellow and IR from them at $6/piece. These will start appearing in our retail packaged versions. Pretty stupid and shocking I know, but they are the best LEDs for those colors we can currently find. I have asked Brock and Craig for help on this, but no offense, no one has been able to provide the specific part numbers that LRI is using (or anything better). If they where so easy to find, LRI wouldn't be able to sell them for so much.

I just want the best LEDs money can buy in the Arc. Of course, I would like them to be reasonably priced as well.
frown.gif

The other Arc colors (white, blue, green, blue-green, UV) are all Nichia products and are just as good or better than what LRI uses. We buy them in smaller lots than the big boys and therefore we are able to specify the less commonly available ranks (like the SB1 and 2).

Here's a shocker: We actually buy our white LEDs for less than what we buy our reds for.

That is screwed up.
mad.gif

I challenge anyone to specify a part number that equals the LEDs we get from LRI.

Peter Gransee

D

**DONOTDELETE**

gee i would have to agree with what chris said, we can get toshiba for as little as 50-75c depending on quantity in a 9000 at its appropriate voltage.

one of the cool things about a tight group like this is we can avoid getting totally ripped off for the technology , and in the long run the technology can become usefull and used as opposed to us being USED by it.

eventually the whites will be 25c and the luxeon will be 2$ and then LIFE can have leds for something other than 1.5 million doller scoreboards.

that isnt going to happen if it is a SALES & marketing scam , IF microwave ovens were still 2000$ apiece, they would make really unconventional coffee warmers, instead they are normal appliances

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is screwed up.

Damn right! But if anyone can find who in this little old world makes those red LEDs, I`m sure it`s Craig.

Hopefully sooner than later....

btw I had some here by Kingbright that were pretty good. It was a few years ago but they`re probably still made. 30 degree beam/3500cd was the quoted output @20mA. Pretty smooth circular spot, no worse than the Turquoise ones as far as rings went. They`re probably a bit brighter by now too, what with the ever-advancing technology.

Unfortunately the last one was lost when it fell out of the keychain squeeze light (pre-Photon vintage) that I had it in, and promptly vanished never to be seen again.

shocked.gif

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed, Craig is the Jedi Master of LEDs.
smile.gif
I asked him awhile back for help on this, but we deadended at the toshibas. I was also advised by Tom over at Eternalight to try the wider angle toshibas for a smoother beam. Of course, wider angle means less throw (less CP) to the beam. The Toshiba 8000mcd are already pretty dim at 9-10 degrees.

I know this all seems pretty stupid that I can't even find a good red LED when they've been around forever. But, there it is.

Any takers? I have tossed the gauntlet!

Btw, Sorry "Bushman" for deviating from topic. You can buy the same or better Nichias than what are in the Photons by specifing the rank and tint when you order directly from Nichia (717-285-7570). NSPW500BS is the part number for the most common type of white LED used in flashlights. In quantities of 50 or more, the price drops to less than the $6 that LRI charges. The best rank for the whites is S and a good tint is B1 (if they have them in stock). I also understand other vendors carry Nichia LEDs for less money or don't require as many units to get a good price. The downside is you usally can't specify the rank with the third-party vendors. They may only have RB2 rank/tint units for example. Nichia also makes the best green, blue and blue-green (turquoise) in my opinion. I can provide good part numbers and ranks for those if you so desire.

Peter Gransee

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
www.optotech.com might have a good 5mm red...I can`t seem to work their site...Acrobat reader keeps say some error and then another...has anyone ever tried their stuff?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

geez i got
TLSH20TP for .49c
and TLYH180P for .59c
at marktech, course i buy in 100s and am a regular customer and a cheapskate and dont Bug them i just BUY.
Marktech now has an optoelectronics division
tele 518-432-7424

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Aragorn:
raping is not what they are doing. the reds are superbright anthe leds are worth every penny. telefony you havent tried these have you? well it shows. hawever do not buy any thing other than the reds as every thing else is avialable else where<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well jeez... you didn't have to knock me out with that bat. "well it shows".
How rude!!!
frown.gif
mad.gif
frown.gif

fire.gif
fire.gif
fire.gif

I've never paid more than about $1 apiece for a GOOD red or red-orange 5mm LED, that's why I say you're getting it up the can if you pay $6 apiece for them.

Agilent is said to have some nice reds.
HLMP-ED16-VX00 ("laser" red) and HLMP-EG16-VX00 (slightly orangish red). The VX00 suffix should indicate LEDs with a max intensity of 10,700mcd @20mA.

I have a pack of HLMP-EY16-VX00 (an apparently unlisted part number - it could be EX16 depending on how a handwriting expert sees things) that are a slightly reddish orange color, and you really don't want to get tangled up with one of those or you might put out an eye.
smile.gif

As far as I know, Newark Electronics is still a small-quantity distributor of these parts.

L.E.D.

Enlightened
Jeez Aragorn, you're such a jerk! I wasn't even that bad when I was mad out someguy, and it almost looked like he was cutting down LED's! Telefony is MUCH more experienced than you with your Blast-LS, big deal I have a 6-volt Lamp with 4 LS's! I think you should look before you leap next time...!
shocked.gif

From that crappy site:
These Are JUST THE LED as used in The Photon Flashlight.
Super Super Bright-shines about 20 feet. 8000+MCD

From Hosfelt:
8000 mcd
5mm RED LED
Mfg. - TOSHIBA
Mfg. # TLSH180P
Operates on 2 VDC @ 20 mA
8000 mcd typical luminosity
5mm InGaAIP Red
Water clear lights red

PART # 25-359
---------------->$ .79<-------------

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by telephony:
Agilent is said to have some nice reds.
HLMP-ED16-VX00 ("laser" red) and HLMP-EG16-VX00 (slightly orangish red). The VX00 suffix should indicate LEDs with a max intensity of 10,700mcd @20mA.

I have a pack of HLMP-EY16-VX00 (an apparently unlisted part number - it could be EX16 depending on how a handwriting expert sees things) that are a slightly reddish orange color, and you really don't want to get tangled up with one of those or you might put out an eye.
smile.gif

As far as I know, Newark Electronics is still a small-quantity distributor of these parts.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Craig. I just checked the Newark site and they don't have any of those part numbers listed. I will call them tomorrow (there website is probally out of date) and check other suppliers like Arrow, Avnet, TTI, etc. If someone has them, I should be able to find them.

Craig, I really appreciate having these new part numbers to go on. I will share my findings with the CPF once I find someone who carries them.

I know this all sounds kind of weird to some. I mean, how hard can it be for me to find good red LEDs for a decent price?

The leads that Craig has provided have been the most promising. Too bad Nichia doesn't make 5mm round Reds.

Peter Gransee

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gransee:
Thanks Craig. I just checked the Newark site and they don't have any of those part numbers listed. I will call them tomorrow (there website is probally out of date) and check other suppliers like Arrow, Avnet, TTI, etc. If someone has them, I should be able to find them. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did some of my own checking on this, including consulting another expert. Here's what he had to say about my red-orange HLMP-EY16-VX000 LEDs.

" I tried looking for HLMP-EY16-VX000 on the Agilent web site and can't
find it.

I got the letters a little wrong anyway. These (not bin sorts, but the
more general part number) are:

D - HeNe laser red, dominant wavelength around 630-632 nm
G - orangish red, dominant wavelength around 626 nm or "mid 620's"
H - red-orange, "regular LED orange" to legally taillight red,
dominant wavelength 615-617 nm (My experience says slightly less but
exceeding 611 - maybe 613-614?)

J - NE-2H orange, domiannt wavelength around 605 nm
L - amber, dominant wavelength around 590 nm, some of these have color
bin sorts

The way you describe it, I would think that Y could be supposed to be an
H. Then again, the highest brightness bin sort I saw for HLMP-EH16 is
VX000 (2.75 candela min, 10.7 candela max)."

I checked the lettering on my bag *very* carefully, and depending on which handwriting expert you ask, it's either an "X" or a "Y", yet neither of them appear in the Agilent part number for this LED.

The color descriptors are in the second set of letters: HLMP-Ex16-VX000 where the x is D, G, H, J, or L.
It is possible the HLMP-EY16 (or EX16) is for OEM availability only, and would not appear on a website to be purchased by the general public.
I'll send you a couple when I return the other test materials you sent.

L.E.D.

Enlightened
Hello? Aragorn, this is the ACTUAL ColdLight. I am sorry for what my little brother has posted here. I do not know what to say about this subject, other than those LED prices DO look kind of high, but I haven't tried them before so I can't speak. And you shouldn't have hit telefony with the bat so hard, hehehe. Oh yeah, we don't even have any Luxeon Stars in this household -except for the LedCorp PRObulb, my brother only wishes we did.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, I got the samples from HP and picked the best from them. I think I now have the same part numbers as what are use in the popular squeeze lights.

Thanks everyone for you assistance. As promised, here are the part numbers:

(Nichia Parts)
<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>NSPW500BS (White, 5mm, 20 degree) "S" Rank, B2 tint
<LI>NSPE510S (Blue-green, 5mm, 30 degree) EU rank
<LI>NSPB510S (Blue, 5mm, 30 degree)
<LI>NSPG510S (Green, 5mm, 30 degree)
<LI>NSHU590 (UV, 5mm, 10 degree)
[/list](Agilent Parts)
<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>HLMP-EG24-RU000 (Red, 24 degree, 5mm)
<LI>HLMP-EL16-U4000 (amber, 16 degree, 5mm)
<LI>HLMP-EJ15-SV000 (Orange, 15 degree, 5mm)
[/list]

Peter Gransee

APW

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gransee:

[/list](Agilent Parts)
<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>HLMP-EG24-RU000 (Red, 24 degree, 5mm)
<LI>HLMP-EL16-U4000 (amber, 16 degree, 5mm)
<LI>HLMP-EJ15-SV000 (Orange, 15 degree, 5mm)
[/list]

Peter Gransee
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi, I got these from Farnell UK, made by HP - Agilent and cost more or less 35p each.

HLMP-ED25-TW000 (Red, 24deg, 630nm, 2170-8300mcd)
HLMP-EH16-UX000 (Red-Orange, 615nm, 2750-10700mcd)
HLMP-EL16-UX000 (Amber, 590nm, 2750-10700mcd)

The red from ED (630nm)range should be more red than the EG (626nm)range. But to me ED one is still not a true red.
These LEDs are quite nice and bright but their brightness are very difference compare to each other in the same batch. It seems that from 10 LEds of same colour, you will get about 5 of them working nicely - brighter. The other 5, you may have to push them harder for the same brightness. I think the min and max mcd specified above make these LEDs still valid.

Cheers,
Andy