the rechargable SureFire A2 Aviator thread

cognitivefun

Enlightened
ha ha, I bet you looked!!

Seriously, is there a rechargable solution for the A2?

I bought two 3v rechargables from JSBurleys and one fits but the other doesn't /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I don't want to get a battery jammed in the tube.

any ideas? Anyone using rechargables in the A2?

greenLED

Flashaholic
assuming the voltage of these cells won't fry anything, you could try peeling the outer layer of the cell. I'll say that again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif "assuming the voltage of these cells won't fry anything...

cy

Flashaholic
sure would use my A2 more if we could figure out a rechargeable solution..

been running li-ions (CR2, R123, 18650, 18500 etc) for almost everything except MR-X which uses 6x AA nmh.

wondering if 2x 3v JSB R123 would work. now where did put those???

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
If you can find R123's that fit, you will probably have to remove the leds. Voltage is too high for the leds, which are resisted for voltage output of two Cr123's. Either that, or change resistor value to leds. So I am told. Actually, I could live without the leds, and enjoy the regulated incandescent bulb and relatively guilt free lumens.

Bill

cognitivefun

Enlightened
note that I want to try 3v rechargables not 4.2volt so I don't think I'd have to worry about adding a resistor.

seattlite

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bumpit.gif
I have the urge to buy an A2 due to the regulated incadecent aspect of the light. I also have some batterstation, protected R123's that top off at 4.2V. I've browsed and searched and found posts that stated that the the MN02 will work but the 3 LEDs that run direct drive will fry from the >6V input.

Can some please provide a definate yes or no whehter 2xR123(4.2V) will work with the A2?

Thanks,
Richard

deranged_coder

Enlightened
AFAIK, the 2xR123 (4.2V) will kill the LEDs. Also, depending on whether or not the regulation circuitry for the MA02 lamp are buck/boost or boost only, you could fry the MA02 lamp as well.

seattlite

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
chevrofreak said:
Will a Pila 168S fit with one of the wrappers removed? Thats what it took for the battery to fit my Inova.

[/ QUOTE ]

AFIK....No, it will not fit.

How about 1 x R123(4.2v) with a Dpeck CR123 spacer....hmmm. Runtime might not be that long, but hey, its rechargeable. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
How about removing leds, and running R123's? I know that this removes low light level of A2, but may be worth it to enjoy a nice regulated incan, and guilt free lumens.

Bill

deranged_coder

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Bullzeyebill said:
How about removing leds, and running R123's?

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmmm... will potentially work if the regulation circuitry is buck/boost and not just boost. If it is just a boost circuit then there is a good chance it will fry the lamp.

seattlite's suggestion of 1xR123 (4.2V) + 1 battery spacer actually sounds promising to my mind.

nexro

Enlightened
I will try using a 17670 in my A2 when I get back home today. But I doubt the incan will be bright.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
If I recall, Willie Hunt's circuits (in A2), only work when voltage requirements of bulb are less than supplied voltage of batteries, so it is a buck circuit. I think that A2 bulb is in the 3.6 voltage range. Not sure though.

Bill

nexro

Enlightened
I think Bill's right.
I tried my A2 with a 17670, the LEDs light up but the light from the bulb is so dim that you only notice the LED lights.