The SF A2 - Part 2

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thread is actually listed in the first post in the below link. I'm still using an A2 four flats once a week or so, and thanks to the generosity of a good friend have a Nichia Onion Ring en route for it. There's a ton of good A2 reading below... :)

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?199396-The-SureFire-A2-Thread-Index

Oh wow, I can't believe it has been already almost 12 years since I started that thread. Time flies! I was a student back then, I used to read so much about the A2 but it was a bit too expensive for me back than - actually DM51 (the old folks will remember him :)) gifted me a new SF A2, I will never forget his generosity.
I somehow had a love and hate relationship with the A2, maybe because there weren't really good rechargeable options without sacrificing the runtime too much and also impacting the lifetime of the LED ring (since it would drive it at higher voltage). Of course there were custom made LED rings that would work with rechargeable batteries. At some point I got rid of the A2. Then many years later I bought it back because of the nostalgia. Then I sold it again, and now reading about it I wish I didn't sell :-D. As I said, it's a complicated relationship. I wonder how much the elusive purple A2 cost now - if they are ever sold...

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow! I never would have guessed that someone would have posted to this thread in the last five years, let alone this year. Brings back memories.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used my A2 15 minutes ago. What a nice beam.

Bill

My eBay close out tads bi pin setup arrived the or the day. Gorgeous. Just wish I could justify using it.

Ah well maybe one day I will be able to get my money back.

FranktheTank

Newly Enlightened
Oh wow, I can't believe it has been already almost 12 years since I started that thread. Time flies! I was a student back then, I used to read so much about the A2 but it was a bit too expensive for me back than - actually DM51 (the old folks will remember him :)) gifted me a new SF A2, I will never forget his generosity.
I somehow had a love and hate relationship with the A2, maybe because there weren't really good rechargeable options without sacrificing the runtime too much and also impacting the lifetime of the LED ring (since it would drive it at higher voltage). Of course there were custom made LED rings that would work with rechargeable batteries. At some point I got rid of the A2. Then many years later I bought it back because of the nostalgia. Then I sold it again, and now reading about it I wish I didn't sell :-D. As I said, it's a complicated relationship. I wonder how much the elusive purple A2 cost now - if they are ever sold...

anyone who has created such a great link overview as you have "must" have an A2....I hope you buy one again :)

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been on an A2 buying spree the last month, actually I bought more than one:oops:. Currently I am mostly missing the Koala LED rings, I hope Koala will return and produce more of them.

FranktheTank

Newly Enlightened
yes, the Koala LED rings seem to be a "must have", let's see when he becomes active again.

In your opinion, are the LED's (LED ring) in the original version more sensitive, or is the life cycle longer than that of the lamp/xenon?

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
The original A2 LED rings have an energy consumption of about 90 mA, the original MA02 bulb has a draw of about 1550mA. The LED rings will run for about 20 hours, the output is not regulated and they will get gradually dimmer as the battery is drained. The main bulb will have a constant output for 40 minutes, then another 10+ minutes of not regulated lower output. And so it makes sense to use the LED rings to conserve battery power, the lumens output of the white LED in newer A2 is actually quite bright and useful for most situation. If you need more light then you press the tailcap to power on the main bulb (usually if you need to check something in the distance).
LED can usually run for thousands of hours before they fail. The MA02 bulb will run for maybe 25-45 hours until it needs to be replaced, the soft-start circuit prolongs the bulb life. Replacement bulbs from Tad (3712) have about 20 hours expectancy (as far as I remember) and LF bulbs are similar. Yesterday I powered on the 3712 (~ 1200mA draw) bulb in A2 and I was surprised how good the beam shape is, it's very similar to MA02 and it's much cheaper. I have about 15 of these, so almost a lifetime supply :).

The Koala Rings have a trimpot and you can adjust the brightness in 3 levels, the power consumption is 10-15mA on lowest setting, 30-45mA on medium (default) and 95-120mA on high. I think that the medium output should be similar to stock LED ring, but power consumption is 1/3 of the stock LED (so 3x the runtime) and you will also get better LED beam color and color rendering.

I am attaching a picture of the original old A2 manual - SF would actual include runtime graphs in manuals.

Attachments

• a2-runtime.jpg
    a2-runtime.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

FranktheTank

Newly Enlightened
thank you for the answer, it looks like Tad doesn't make any more lamps (when i am not wrong) so I'll try my luck at lumes factory :)

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can still find some on eBay from Tad - I can't post links, but you will find it if you search for "A3712". You will get 10 bulbs + bi-pin adapter. As far as I know this adapter can be also used with Streamlight Strion bulbs, which can also be sometimes bought cheap from eBay. But those 10 bulbs will serve you a very long time. I suggest to buy it while it's available. There are also A3718 bulbs available, the difference is higher output but also higher power consumption - 3712 draws 1.2A and 3718 draws 1.8A (more than the stock MA02). I tried the 3712 and I feel like the output/runtime balance is better than A3718. Tad is now only selling the adapters with bulbs, you can't buy bulbs separately because he doesn't have enough of them. I think I even like the 3712 more than the LF bulbs, it's cheaper, beam is cleaner and runtime is a bit longer (output is lower, but not very noticeable in real world).

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kicking this ridiculously old thread back to life for nostalgic reason.

I have a pair of Surefire A2 that's sitting in my drawer for ages. Both have Tad custom bi-pin with A3712 bulbs on them (so glad I bought a box of A3712 bulbs back in the days when Tad was still around). One A2 has stock YG led and the other one has an onion ring with some High CRI led bulbs (don't recall which one).

Over the years, I have so many flashlights come and go, but I still think the A2 (and Kroma Milspec) are perhaps my favorite and coolest ones.

scout24

Flashaholic
JS started this thread almost 15 years ago. It's responsible for more than a couple of A2's that have passed through my hands, still have two here. Wonderful lights, I have some Tad's bulbs left, too. Might just break one out tonight since you bumped the thread. 😎👍

sgt253

Enlightened
Have one myself (since 2005). Great, classic, innovative light. Will never part company with it. Sits on the nightstand every night ready for whatever may happen. Thanks for the thread bump.
Best.

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry for reviving this old thread, I don't know where to post it. I have one empty A2 box from (I think?) the old "4 flats" SF A2 with documents inside. Anyone from Europe wants it for free (just for price of shipping, which will be cheap)? Otherwise I will throw it away.
PM me if you want it. I can also include another newer type of A2 box.

Attachments

• IMG_0462.jpeg
    IMG_0462.jpeg
    283.5 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0463.jpeg
    IMG_0463.jpeg
    314.6 KB · Views: 55

hamhanded

Enlightened
That's so strange, I never saw that before. The back of the box doesn't even show an A2!

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
LoL, that's funny about the box. I probably have some like that, never looked that closely. Where is js? I haven't seen him post in a long time.