The SF M6 X-LOLA: 200 lumens for 2.5 hours

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
JS I have to thank and curse ya :)

This was the thread that pushed me to finally buy an M6 and MN15 today. I've always tried to convince myself to buy the M6 but always wanted a longer runtime option. While I love the super bright lights my uses just demand more than 20 minutes of runtime as my flashlight addiction has continued I've found myself going back to lights that have moreand more runtime and the MN15 seems perfect for the M6 in that regard.

Great stuff.

You can also purchase an M3 bezel directly from Surefire for $42 and an MN10 lamp. It's what I call the "sea cucumber." Same runtime and output but without the turbohead. This is what rides in my truck.

Steve in SoCal

Enlightened
LF's HO-M3T is the most similar in terms of voltage and amperage profile.

Edit: specs look to be between a MN15 and a MN20.

Last edited:

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, thats all I could find similar as well. i just ordered one but it seems that the MN15 will run for an hour more than the HO-M3T. For the long run time, it seems that the MN15 may be the only lamp available.

Steve in SoCal

Enlightened
If you have one of FM's bi-pin bulb holders there is a very low amperage 12v bi-pin bulb. Someone here has a stash of them.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, after wanting an M6 for the longest time I finally have one on the way via USPS, took my 10X dominator to get it, but regardless, it's on the way.

I just got done reading this thread all the way though, and I have to say this MN10/MN15 configuration in the M6 seems like a dream come true. However, it seems as though nobody was able to estimate a good solid figure for the lamp life using this setup. JS seems to feel confident in his 15 to 20 hr mark, but seeing some of the other post's and seeing pictures of what seems like premature blacking on the envelope isn't exactly instilling confidence in the long term reliability of this setup.

So my hopes in reviving this old thread is that members can chime in and give us some feedback on what the best lamp life estimate is for this setup, and give us some long term reports on how this setup has been holding up over the last few years. I have 1 MN15 and 1 MN10, and I will feel a little more confident in using them with my new M6 after hearing what others have to say now that so many years have passed.

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, after wanting an M6 for the longest time I finally have one on the way via USPS, took my 10X dominator to get it, but regardless, it's on the way.

I just got done reading this thread all the way though, and I have to say this MN10/MN15 configuration in the M6 seems like a dream come true. However, it seems as though nobody was able to estimate a good solid figure for the lamp life using this setup. JS seems to feel confident in his 15 to 20 hr mark, but seeing some of the other post's and seeing pictures of what seems like premature blacking on the envelope isn't exactly instilling confidence in the long term reliability of this setup.

So my hopes in reviving this old thread is that members can chime in and give us some feedback on what the best lamp life estimate is for this setup, and give us some long term reports on how this setup has been holding up over the last few years. I have 1 MN15 and 1 MN10, and I will feel a little more confident in using them with my new M6 after hearing what others have to say now that so many years have passed.

I was the one that posted the blacked out bulb picture. I have cured this problem by not using brand new 123´s in the MB20 holder. When 123´s are new, the lamp filament runs a bit too hot. It will still continue to run hot but if you take care to "break in" the batteries a bit with your MN21 bulb for about one minute, you can use the MN15 lamp thereafter.

I think JS figure is even a bit conservative, I have run mine past that mark in these years and since it was replaced from back them I´m still using the same lamp.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was the one that posted the blacked out bulb picture. I have cured this problem by not using brand new 123´s in the MB20 holder. When 123´s are new, the lamp filament runs a bit too hot. It will still continue to run hot but if you take care to "break in" the batteries a bit with your MN21 bulb for about one minute, you can use the MN15 lamp thereafter.

I think JS figure is even a bit conservative, I have run mine past that mark in these years and since it was replaced from back them I´m still using the same lamp.

Is breaking in the batteries so to speak absolutely necessary? If the batteries are fresh, do we have any kind of estimate as to how much of an impact it has?

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is breaking in the batteries so to speak absolutely necessary? If the batteries are fresh, do we have any kind of estimate as to how much of an impact it has?

I have been doing this because of what happened the first time around I lost my MN15.

This setup overdrives the lamp a bit and is highly efficient, you´ll notice your MN15 running a very nice color temperature.

But with brand spanking new 123´s you´re pushing it a bit too much. If you´re lucky, nothing will happen, but I´d rather weaken the batteries a bit before running the setup.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was using the M6+MN15 last night and it's incredible. I'm not a big fan of the MN15, the hotspot and beam shape that is, but when it's running so bright and white, for a solid 2.5 hours, it's simply incredible. I also was running my M3 bezel with MN10 also, it is a very nice setup, although it doesn't have near the range of the MN15+millennium TH, I believe that it gives a more useful beam, though the light does look a little bit ridiculous. For when size and weight is an issue, the M3 bezel on the M6 is perfect.

Brigadier

Enlightened
Finally, after wanting one for years, I have an M6-CB. I picked one up on closeout from Batterystation for $260 + S/H. A great deal. Had to get one before they were no more.

Now I need a good source for MN-15 LA's........

Last edited:

Brigadier

Enlightened
Well, tested out the M6 last night when I got home. I am surprised at the size of the hotspot in these, with both bulbs. Especially compared to my 9ANT Commander. Comparing the two, I would dare say that lumen for lumen, the 9ANT throws farther than the M6. But the M6 sure lights up a big area compared to the laser tight beam of the 9ANT.

Brigadier

Enlightened
Ok, now why this thread HASN'T been made a sticky is beyond me.........

JS, you are brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. What an idea. I would like to buy you a beer someday.

I got my MN15 LA today, threw it in the M6 on fresh Panasonic 123's, and O M G!!!! JS, you are brilliant!! I have never seen such a nice, white incan from a SureFire before. It throws very very well, better than the MN20 IMO due to the smaller hotspot it produces.

And this thing will run for 2 to 2.5 hours??? Icing on the cake.

This is a great setup. If you haven't tried it, do it!

signal 13

Enlightened
I'm itching to buy another M6... Regret selling the last two!!! But with the M6LT out there, I just don't know if I wanna deal with blown bulbs...

The one thing that makes me miss my M6 was a trip to some underground caverns I took a while back. My M6 lit up areas that you wouldn't see otherwise. I think a cold or even neutral LED light just wouldn't have done the caverns justice. I believe I was running a MN20 on two 18650s w/ MDOCOD's adaptor.

I even miss carrying it on duty. It slipped into my front or back pocket with ease and felt secure. My M3LT is a pain to get in and out of pockets because of the rubber grip ring. I loved my M4 too, but something about the M6 I just miss so much...

batman

Enlightened
+1 for batman, i've never sold my M6 and still use the MN-15 setup ocasionally. Although I was uninformed and ran brand new 123s in mine on several ocasions and now the lamp is quite darkened. I'm glad i never got rid of old trusty!

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
Time for new set of 123's in the MB20, and........time for a bulb swap to the MN20. I'm going to "break in" my new cells with a little running the MN20, about three minutes oughta do it. I've been doing this for a while now before inserting the MN15 for the remainder of the batteries life and no problems so far with my MN15 which I estimate has a good 20 hours in it. Ever since my first MN15 darkened I've had zero issues with the replacement MN15 doing the brand new cell break in procedure.

Besides, it doesn't hurt to have a little fun with an MN20 on fresh 123's for a change.

Flea Bag

Enlightened
Besides, it doesn't hurt to have a little fun with an MN20 on fresh 123's for a change.

Despite having two 2x18650 holders for the M6, I do run the MN20 on primaries and M6 on full stock config. depending on the occasion. When overseas, or on special outings where I want more runtime, the li-ions become the backup instead of the other way around. I thought it can't hurt much to let the MN20s run on the original voltage curve they were designed for every now and then where the LA goes from overdrive to finish at an underdrive.

I guess it's also because I have close to 50 brand new CR123s lying around which will expire in around 3 to 4 years! That and my 18650s are the older lower capacity 2200 mAh type, giving around 40 mintues runtime.

Still, I think its a good idea to break-in the LA at stock config. where you'll also be covered by SureFire's warranty during the critical first few hours of bulb life where failures are more likely to show up. My MN20 was running only on Primaries for quite a few months until Eric started producing his first generation of 2x18650 holders. I must have over 30 hours on my MN20 and it still looks to be in lovely condition. Glass looks nice and clear and not the least bit yellow or brown.

Last edited:

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey everyone! So glad to hear that people are still aware of, and enjoying, this setup!

So, OK, yes, I find that 20 hours of lamp life is about right, or maybe even a touch conservative. I've been running my M6 in this configuration since I posted about it here in this thread. I guess I've gotten lucky with my two MN15's (pretty small sample set, to be sure) because I never switch to the MN20 or MN21 to break in new batteries. I just pop in new ones and go. So far, no blackened MN15 lamps! But, like I say, I'm probably just lucky. Next time I replace the cells I'll do this--though with the MN21, as I've had TWO MN20's explode in my M6 over the years.

Anyway, yes, this setup is one of my favorites. Since I've been out of the modding business, and been so much more occupied with work and a new house and the like, I've cut down on my flashlights--and I never had a lot of flashlights to begin with! But I will never part with my M6, and the MN15 is my favorite lamp to run in the M6. My EDC is my McGizmo LS20. The kitchen has the M6/MN15 and the SF A2 with normal LA in it. The basement has the SF E2 with balrog body. I was running powerizer rechargeables and LF lamp, but I'm switching to primaries and SF LA's, as it sees so little use, usually. My wife has my trusty ole Arc-LS, and we both have Arc AAA's. And, that's pretty much all the lights I have (or am keeping, anyway). But if I had to narrow down to only two, for me, it would be LS20 and M6/MN15.

Thanks for posting, everyone! And sorry I have been MIA for so long.

Flea Bag

Enlightened
No need to apologise Jim! Thanks for posting!

You know, I'm an M6 nut too but I've not yet tried the MN15 in this setup. I think I'll take a look at it. Recently received Will's excellent PhD-M6 pack too! Like you, I was away from the forums for quite a while and returned recently. I think the M6-MN20 (on 2x18650 2200mAh) has kept me very happy and that has contributed to me not being that active on the forums as I believe is also a similar case with you.

Anyway, I'm alarmed to hear about your MN20s blowing up in the M6. Were they the older version with purple assembly? I've heard the old ones were more delicate than the final production black ones that I'm using. Moreover, I've found that my MN20 in 2x18650 (2200mAh) isn't being pushed very hard at all. Based on my observations on tint, output and its exsiting condition compared to other bulbs, it was almost as if the MN20 was made for these batteries which explains why my old MN20 is not any yellower than a brand new MN20 that I just took out and compared to side-by-side! Now the final production MN20 on stock 6xCR123 is a different matter, but my old one did go through at least 5 complete cycles on CR123s before I made the switch to 2x18650 and it's still brilliant today. Please let me know and I suspect LED61 may also be concerned.