The socks thread

StarHalo

I'm not sure whether least snug is good or not because compression stockings improve blood flow, but tight socks leave ugly marks when I take them off.

The trick is to put as much engineering into the sock as was put into the shoe; it doesn't make any sense to design a shoe that's snug in certain places and giving in others, then put on a sock that's tight or loose all over. The sock should only put padding where it's needed, only hold fast where the shoe does. See my recommendation above if you're interested..

orbital

+

Synthetics last longer & absorb little water, which is key.

Personally I prefer blends of wool and synthetics like the Fox River Work Crew #6604
44% acrylic, 36% wool, 19% nylon, 1% spandex

Probably have owned 10 pair or more over the years, very comfy & they last

ishmael

Darn Tough. Made in VT, guaranteed for life (< can't wait to test that out - socks always seem to wear out).
They are definitely made to last but a friend managed to damage one on the AT and they next dayed him one at the nearest town. Wasn't there so not sure how he broke his but he still raves about the CS.

P_A_S_1

I guess this would be the place to ask...Gore Tex socks, anyone use them/like them?

bykfixer

CPF Supporter
This year I replaced my winter socks after learning there is such a thing as warm socks they actually stay up. Nice!!
I ended up wearing "omni wool" socks from Sams club after trying some Realtree from WalMart. The Realtree are nice for the money but they're so long I thought I was dressing for an 80's new wave video 'cause they come up to my knees.

The omni wool are more like crew socks in length. Plenty warm and definitely stay in place. About $4 a pair at Sams club.

I have also tried Pendleton dress socks with sneakers. Surprisingly warm to be as thin as they are. Only trouble with Pendleton I found is finding them in solid colors.
Edit:
the close out store had a clearance on winter socks so I snagged 2 more pair of Pendleton's for $3/pr. All socks mentioned in this post were US made.
End edit.

Last edited:

H4ppyB34r

my Mother in law gave me some Costco WeatherProof wool socks about 3 years ago for a "stocking"stuffer.

I LOVE THEM, warm, cushy and stay dry.

i now have 12-15 pairs, i buy more every time i see them crop up on sale. with construction work boots, there is nothing better

bykfixer

CPF Supporter
Trouble I used to have with cushiony socks H4 was they fell a lot, like every 12 minutes (or less) I had to pull them back over my foot. Kinda inconvenient and downright a drag when outside in freezing temps having to pull the boot off (again).

So if the Costco ones solved that, bravo!! The omniwool stay put ok but the Realtree were better. I suppose because they are so tall. The Pendletons I have stay put well.