The story of a hero cop and his flashlight

Raymond33

Newly Enlightened
All too often we flashlight junkies get so caught up in our collection, sometimes used, sometimes just collected, that we forget to pay due attention to the great majority of simple users of flashlights. This is the story of a simple cop who relied on and used his light every shift for hours each night in the most demanding circumstances.

Louis Altic was a school teacher, but he saw the need in his community so changed jobs to work as a cop in Eureka California. It is a small town with a very high rate of drug abuse, mentally impaired, elderly, out of work and homeless people. The police officers who work there have about twice work load of cops in other towns. They rely on their lights heavily each night. Knowing that his selection of a flashlight was an important part of being able to do his job well and safely, he asked me, his brother-in-law (an admitted flashlight junkie) to help him with his selection. After asking him how he intended to carry and use his lights, I recommended and set him up with a pair of Malkoff MD4s, with Malkoff M91s, Surefire tail caps with McClicky switch installed run by made in Japan Panasonic 18650s. One of those became his primary and the other a backup.

Here is that light after almost 17 years of constant real world use.
IMG_1568.jpg
IMG_1570.jpg
It has been held so much that the anodization is rubbed off and it has been dropped hundreds of times. The rubber clicky button has worn through. But, the light continues to function perfectly. It goes on and off the same now as when it was new.

IMG_1572.jpg

The Bezel of the Malkoff MD4 shows the real world demands of an active officer, and it has held up amazingly well.
Here is the light in parts. Note how unblemished the M91 appears after all this use.

IMG_1573.jpg
IMG_1575.jpg

Last edited:

Raymond33

Newly Enlightened
Rather than trying to put into my own words what a hero looks like, it is best to just take a moment to read this citation given to Louis from one nights events that nearly cost him his life. In addition to the University Medal of Valor, the State of California later awarded Louis with it's highest award for a police officer:

Louis Altic Citation002.jpg

Louis is now working in the Court building and his light needs have changed, so I "swapped" him my new Malkoff Bodyguard V2 for this old light. My intention is to fix it up and present it back to him.

Gene has already volunteered to clean it up. Sure fire already sent a new Surefire clicky switch. I would appreciate any ideas about how to best clean up the light since it can't be re-anodized. Maybe painting? Maybe Cerakoting? Any suggestions from our members would be appreciated. One thing for sure, all these Malkoff parts work just fine and will be kept.

Once I get this light cleaned up for presentation back to Louis, I will post some pictures.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
A new rubber cover for the tailcap and it's good to go!

You could replace the LED retaining ring with a Hi/Low version to give it a bit more flexibility.

It was refreshing to read that Officer Altic only fired five rounds, it does cause me some concern these days when I see officers mag-dumping and making no attempt to check if their first rounds stopped the threat or not. I hope he still enjoys his current assignment.

DRW

Enlightened
...it does cause me some concern these days when I see officers mag-dumping and making no attempt to check if their first rounds stopped the threat or not...
I was a cop for ten years and never saw that. How did you happen to be a witness? Did you talk to the Officers about their threat assessment during the incident? How do you know they made no attempt?

Raymond33

Newly Enlightened
A new rubber cover for the tailcap and it's good to go!

You could replace the LED retaining ring with a Hi/Low version to give it a bit more flexibility.

It was refreshing to read that Officer Altic only fired five rounds, it does cause me some concern these days when I see officers mag-dumping and making no attempt to check if their first rounds stopped the threat or not. I hope he still enjoys his current assignment.
Yes on the tailcap. I have a tool coming to try to do that.

On the Hi/Low ring: I put one on the other MD4, but for his primary, he wanted to keep it simple with only one out-put.

Yes, he stopped after firing only 5 rounds. Fast and each on target. That is one of the reasons that He won the award: He stopped shooting as soon as he saw the assailant was no longer a threat. Then, what is not reflected in the citation, he rendered what aid he could then told the first arriving paramedics to help the assailant before helping him.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was a cop for ten years and never saw that. How did you happen to be a witness? Did you talk to the Officers about their threat assessment during the incident? How do you know they made no attempt?
I was a cop for thirty years and, like you, fortunately didn't witness it in person either. However, now incident footage is broadcast on youtube for all to see and some do not seem to comply the the firearms training that I received.

Last edited:

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
New switch boot, clean and lube, maybe clear coat so it doesn't get Aluminum residue on you when using it, nothing more.
It is a well used tool and should present as one.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
In CCW training you are taught to only draw and use a firearm if it is a life and death threat. If you open fire empty the mag to stop the threat. If they remain alive they will make up any lie to save theirself in court. It is sad the world works like this and you can't just show a firearm as a deterrent or fire a warning shot or shoot someone in the knee or foot. Also less lethal options aren't legally sound or available.

Now on the other side of things how many times have you read about LEOs shooting people 30+ times, with multiple firearms and they are still alive or soldiers using 566 rifles in combat and they don't stop the person they are firing at....

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
In CCW training you are taught to only draw and use a firearm if it is a life and death threat. If you open fire empty the mag to stop the threat. If they remain alive they will make up any lie to save theirself in court. It is sad the world works like this and you can't just show a firearm as a deterrent or fire a warning shot or shoot someone in the knee or foot. Also less lethal options aren't legally sound or available.

Now on the other side of things how many times have you read about LEOs shooting people 30+ times, with multiple firearms and they are still alive or soldiers using 566 rifles in combat and they don't stop the person they are firing at....
I was taught to 'Shoot to Stop' the threat, however if the perp dies then so be it.

But if your first 4 rounds, for instance, puts the perp down and you do not pause to reassess the threat and continue to unload a further 10 round into them then that could find you on a murder charge.

Obviously every incident is different and what the perp is armed with will obviously dictate the threat level.

I don't want to derail this thread, so if you want to discuss it further then PM me.

Last edited:
With regard to the finish on the light, have you considered polishing the exterior, to keep whatever color remains showing it's history, but to also buff up the areas that are worn from hard use? SkyLumen occasionally polishes aluminum lights to excellent effect (there are probably one or two examples on his website). The results are really good looking IMHO.

1685265759771.png