The Titanium "Haiku"

Wurkkos

scout24

Staff member
No need for a special holster to make it look like a lightsabre, imho. The light alone has that covered. All due respect to THCL... :)

F89

What is the difference between a 3S convertor and a 3 speed buck/boost convertor? Or same thing?

The 3S has the ability to buck (take a higher voltage down to LED vf e.g. 4.2V to ~3V) or boost (bring the voltage up a bit like when using say 2xAA eneloop).

Lylefk

Just sent over an email to purchase, stoked to support a local craftsman and can't wait to finally get my hands on a light I've been dreaming about for years.

Mahalo!

wade11a

Just sent over an email to purchase, stoked to support a local craftsman and can't wait to finally get my hands on a light I've been dreaming about for years.

Mahalo!

Congratulations! I just got my Haiku last Monday and can't say enough good things about it. Welcome to the forum.

F89

Yes, but all the other LEDs Don offers also work well with the XML reflector for a nice floody beam (e.g. 119V, XPG2 and so on).
The reflector used with the XML was originally designed for the XRE, which in combination created a decent mix of flood and throw similar to the XPG2 or 119V with the XPG reflector.
The XML gives a great floody beam with plenty of lumens, so unless you want a warmer colour temp or high(er) CRI, the XML offers the most floody beam.

bluemantra

Thank you for the reply. If my main use is for close up illumination would the Haiku or the SunDrop be the better option?

F89

Thank you for the reply. If my main use is for close up illumination would the Haiku or the SunDrop be the better option?
Depending on your requirements?
The Mule should also be considered, but any of the three is likely to be what you're after.
I'd also consider the benefits of high CRI, so the 119V may be your best bet regardless of which of the three you choose. The main consideration being that if you choose a Haiku, regardless of LED, you'll want the MC17XR reflector (the XML reflector).
I could be more specific on each light, although there's plenty here on the forum, if you wanted to give some examples of what you intend to illuminate.

bluemantra

I plan on using just for everyday tasks. No specific requirements as it relates to my occupation. I had an HDS previously that was more throw than flood and noticed it wasn't ideal for close up illumination due to the hotspot. I have a Prometheus Alpha with an MCE that I find ideal for my uses if that helps any.

F89

The Ledil boom reflector (and MCE) provides very nice lighting, and the Alpha is an all round great light. I'm assuming you'd like something smaller for every day pocket carry?
I always have an AA Haiku (119V with XP reflector) that has been my take everywhere light for years. I find it more than adequate and very handy.
I'm a big fan of the Haiku and have a few different configurations, I also have the other McGizmo lights mentioned. That said, I reckon the Haiku with the XR reflector will be your most versatile option while still providing decent close up lighting.
My recommendation is slightly non standard, although I'm sure Don would accommodate. My suggestion is to go a Haiku with 119V and XR reflector (then there's the matter of LE and body pak. A Hive with a 123 pak would be a decent pick).
If you're not particularly worried about high CRI and what I consider is also a better tint, then go for the XML instead of the 119V. It will be more floody and have more lumens.
I recently had someone on here ask me about the 119V/XR reflector combo who went ahead and set one up and are happy with it.
Come to think of it, in some ways the Haiku with 119V and XR reflector do act a bit like a mini Ledil boom with an MCE.

bluemantra

Do you happen to know the lumen output for the 119? I'd say tint is most important to me then a flood.