• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

The Titanium "Haiku"

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don,

I'm curious to know how the McR-17XRreflector was chosen over the McR-19XR? Was the choice for the McR-17XR due to limitations in the head geometry? Or, was there a specific reason for this choice? It seems that the cooling fins were a priority to this build, and thus allowed only enough room for the smaller reflector (while keeping a 1" OD).

Cheers!
Joel

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi Joel,

Actually there were so many reasons to use the 17XR that the 19XR wasn't even considered. For starters, I have a personal preference for the 17-XR over the 19XR and it is based on a number of considerations having to do with geometry but of prime import, I think it has a slightly better viewing angle than the 19-XR; especially when its small diameter also allows me to give it much better egress when limited to the 1" OD. The head geometry did have a significant impact and the mating and thermal needs of the light engine are also related. The deep cooling fins were a bonus allowed because I had opted to use the 17-XR. After modeling the assembly in SolidWorks, I realized I could go deep between the fins and I did. I half expected some grief from the machine shop on this but beyond being told they needed to purchase a different cutter than they had so that they could do the one deep groove, there was no issue or complaint.

I think for the most part, my lights are designed from the inside out. I decide what I want the "guts" to be and then work outwards from there.

I caught a nice picture of a friendly wave today:

DSC_0010.jpg

:wave:

JohnnyDeep

Newly Enlightened
Eagerly awaiting the new masterpiece!!!

A Light exists in Spring
From evil doings and from sloth
Win or lose the toss

FrogmanM

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is such a cool pic of the "wave" don! Oh yeah nice torch btw (no poems from me, sry):p

Mayo

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don,

As always, you have a great eye for the aesthetics of what makes a flashlight a flashlight. I get the nostalgic feel of the old 2D Eveready metal flashlight in a scaled down package with modern materials and electronics. Brilliant.

If it is not too much trouble, could you weigh the light? I am only curious because I have recently taken an interest in lightweight backpacking, and the design looks as though it will be significantly lighter than the PD designs.

As and aside, this looks like the perfect platform for a headlamp.... :D

loveit

Enlightened
Last night in my bed:
Vivid dreams in triplicate!
I dreamed of Haiku!

Don't let them sell out
While I am teaching today!
That will make me sad...

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just had a thought. Don said "afternoon." HI being 5 hours behind the east coast...does that mean I don't have to start refreshing every 3 minutes until after 5? That will not do. I'm busy this evening.
I hereby declare it noon in Hawaii. Someone let Don know.

loveit

Enlightened
They will go on sale
Whenever Don is ready.
We just sit and wait.

I'd like to call dibs
But that isn't how it works
In this flashlight world.

herrgurka

Newly Enlightened
Afternoon in Hawaii......... ok, that's around 4 or 5 AM here in Stockholm. That is, if the earth continues to spin as usual, which it might very well not this very night only to tease me :D

OK, this means an early morning rise with my cat, that's not too bad. At least I don't have to teach unless I'm operating on dreamtime, which might come later in the day when I actually do have to teach. But my students probably won't notice any difference anyway, absent mindedness being a badge of honour at university (at least for a professor :crazy:).

Oh, the things one does for a light of this beauty....

chris1

Newly Enlightened
This seems like it will be a wonderful light!

Excuse my ignorance, but this will be my first "attempt" at a McGizmo, and my first McGizmo if I'm lucky enough to score this one.

Here's my dumb question: How does the whole "ordering" process work? I've checked the links and while helpful I still have some questions. I'm guessing that Don will announce the wave, then you send him an email that you would like one. Then what happens? Does one need to post here as well? Are these lights essentially ready to ship when the wave is announced or do they need to built? If so, how long does that typically take? I would certainly appreciate any clarification, thanks!

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
No need to post, though lots of people will. The e-mail to Don is the key, and is how he decides who was where in the ordering process. The lights are always, as far as I know, ready to go when he announces the wave.
Shipping is always pretty fast. Shipping always SEEMS not so fast as you are waiting for your new Ti treasures.

The Coach

Enlightened
Chris, when you see the sale thread, send Don an email with the info requested in his How to Order thread and then sit back and wait. If you make it, you will get an email with the payment info and you just send the money and that's it. The lights are done and ready to ship. I usually get mine in 3 days (when I catch the wave). Either way, you will know today or tomorrow at the latest. Don is the best at getting his stuff out FAST!!!! Good luck. :devil:

DOH.jpg
I need to learn to type faster.

Last edited: