The ultimate lighter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cy

Flashaholic
Cooooool... sure is good to hear these old windlites have a new lease on life.

Since my windlite is hard chromed, it actually gets used. finish is harder than anything in my pocket, including HA.

Sarome on other hand is almost too pretty/perfect to use. kinda of pita. guess I should sell my sarome to someone that will use it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[email protected]

Flashaholic
LOL! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
My Sarome is being beadblasted and HA3'd at the moment, this should give it a longer lasting finish. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Is the matte part of your lighter hard chrome as well Cy? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
I have a full matte one and a full chrome one, both in excellent condition. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif
img1018sized7sa.jpg

jtice

Flashaholic
hmmm, those sure do look firmilar /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

glad you got them working bart! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

cy

Flashaholic
yes my Windlite looks exactly like your beaded finish and yes it's hard chromed.

tell tail signs of Hard chrome is yellow looking rings on inside of body. Hard chrome process is extremely expensive to do.

normally chrome is flashed 2-3 10thousands or very thin. VS hard chrome can be applied 10+ mills thick. I would estimate my veriflames to be 2-3 mills thick of hard chrome.

look up pricing on hard chrome and it will amaze you. it's usually reserved for mission critical components like F16 landing gear.

pricing is out-rageous due to EPA regs for chromium solution and extended time in chromium tank combined with high amps.

windlite.jpg

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just found out about these yesterday at a store and did some searching on the web.

Oliver They are all oil lighters with the exception of the ADMY series listed at the bottom.

A tiny hex wrench which is used to exchange flints is incorporated into the tip of the fuel screw. There are some pics here.
I have never used these lighters but have read that the space between the flint/wick/flintwheel is crowded, and leaked oil sogs up this area making ignition difficult at times. A full tank is said to light up about 100 cigarrettes.

These Marvelous lighters do not look as solid, but have an assortment of unique flavors.

Aloft

Enlightened
Would someone please put my mind at ease? If this claim is true, surely this is THE ultimate lighter. Vector lighters claim that their "lean burn" system ... "drastically reduces the gas consumption rate of a lighter by more than 100%". Am I losing my mind, or is this a violation of the laws of thermodynamics? I believe that this claim means that the Vector lighters (about which I have read many good comments on this forum) actually produce more gas as they operate, resulting in a perpetual energy source that is sure to come in handy during an emergency. Or am I mistaken, and looking at this 'bass-ackwards'? I wrote them an email about it, but perhaps someone on CPF who still remembers some high school math can restore my faith in an ordered universe. Thanks...

Here's the link so you can check it out for yourselves. Please tell me I'm not going crazy !!!

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*
Hehe..you certainly speak about this "...First, it drastically reduces the gas consumption rate of a lighter by more than 100%...." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Read "gas consumption rate" and not "gas consumption " /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

But you're right it's a nice publicity /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

And..I can guarantee you that this lighter don't produce more gas than it consumes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I have one and I have to refill it sometimes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[email protected]

Flashaholic
They probably mean 50%, but like some who say twice as much,(wich in fact is 3 times the original amount /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif ) while they mean 1 time as much, they made a semantic mistake. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aloft , I looked at those online and was very tempted to buy one. When I saw them in the store I was very unimpressed. The 'impression of quality' that I want from many things when I buy them just wasn't there and I saw other models of Vectorkgm lighters that looked nearly identical to models costing 1/5th the price they wanted.

While in the same store I saw these Porsche Designs . They were much higher quality than the vectors. They didn't seem to have very big fluid supplies though. Check out the PD5 or PD1.

Also, anyone who wants a nice lighter, ask yourself if it has to be the torch type. A standard flame with flint spark is much more reliable , easier to maintain, cheaper, fluid lasts longer and with a decent windguard , lights in most situations. I'd recommend a ronson varaflame but I want to pick up a few more ronsons myself. So, don't buy a Varaflame windlite, they suck. Don't even bother doing a search on them on ebay. They're old and you just won't like them at all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif.

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bart, you must post picture of your sarome when it's ready.

Aloft

Enlightened
Thanks for the advice xochi . . . they do look impressive on line, so I'll scope 'em out in person if I can find them. Meanwhile, Brunton's look like the most rugged, but I'll check out the Ronsons as well.

Frenchyled. . . I think the "gas consumption" and "gas consumption rate" are essentially stating the same thing. Their claim (at least the way I read it) means a "less than zero" energy use. I wrote to them asking them to look into it. If they respond, I'll let everyone know. More likely, they'll quietly change it (or do nothing at all!). The book "Innumeracy" by John Allen Paulos describes this discouraging math illiteracy in quite an amusing fashion, if anyone is interested.

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ultimate lighter thread...the return of

Unfortunately the old ultimate lighter thread seems to have been lost so I'd like to start a new one for few reasons.:dedhorse:

First, I really want to see how Barts HA3 sarome turned out. I'd also like to mention my discovery of another great but old lighter, The Sarome Gas. Today at the antique mall around the corner I found a big , chunky hard-chrome coated Sarome Gas lighter that looks to date from sometime between 1950 and 1970. This is a butane lighter with an adjustable flame and traditional flint spark wheel. The lighter is apparently hard chrome coated brass and I am VERY impressed with the quality of this thing. They don't make'em anywhere near the way they used to. This lighter has a brass and black enamel "Gas" emblem on the flip lid and says "sarome" and "Made in Japan" on the bottom. Three raised chevrons decorate the side of the flip lid opposite the hinge and serve to texturize the slick chrome for easier opening. Just as in the Ronson Varaflame Windlite , gas flows when the lid is opened and ceases when the lighter is closed. As zippo owners know, having a lighter that doesn't require a finger attached to it is very convenient. I'm inclined to believe that safety requirements no longer allow this type of design with butane lighters in the U.S.

Sorry I haven't any pictures of the lighter. I paid 4 dollars for mine and although it's a bit rough cosmetically (the bottom 3rd of the body was apparently 'texturized" by bead/sand blasting or some type of chemical treatment by a previous owner) it works flawlessly and apparently holds a great deal of fluid. I was also lucky enough to find a NIB unit that even though the intitial bid was only 9.99, no one had bid on (there were a quite a few that expired without bidders). I contacted the guy and bought the lighter for 15.85 including shipping which I consider a steal for anything of this quality. There were a few other lighters like this in varied conditions that had expired without bidders even though they had starting bids as low as 5.98 (with shipping). These lighters apparently were offered for sale or as part of a promotion from RJ Reynolds and the lighter that I puchased has the box inserts from RJR.

While pokeing around on ebay after these sarome lighters I also came across a couple Ronson Varaflame Windlites. I believe it was Cy who first posted photos of his lighter that got me hunting them down. These are also phenomenal quality lighters from many moons ago. Several individuals were selling old ronson ads from magazines. One advertisement promoted the lighters tested wind resistance up to just over 29mph and another ad published a retail price of 9.99 , IN 1960! I found an online calculator that adjusts for inflation and it equated that price into one of over $65.00 U.S. in 2005.

The Ronson Varaflame Windlite and the Sarome Gas are two very nice lighters that are worth much more than they sell for and it is definitely worth going through a leaker or two (and the ronsons are easy to repair) to find a gem that is better than 99% of what you can get today. :nana:

jtice

Flashaholic
Re: Ultimate lighter thread...the return of

That was a good thread :D

Its really a shame we cant search old threads, I feel like all the information we gathered before the upgrade is GONE.
It might as well be really.

Anyway,
I ended up going back to the tried and true, BIC lighter.
Besides the fact that it wont lock, you cant beat it.
Lasts a long time, strong enough, good flame, though wind can be a problem.

I like torches, but I have been through more of them than I can count,
and they all fail eventually.

~John

SJACKAL

Enlightened

Might as well a new thread. :D

I lost my Zippo a few months ago, and hadn't really gotten a EDC replacement yet, relying on cheapo bics. Before the zippo was a small blowtorch style lighter, also lost.

I guess I would probably get another zippo, even though I hate the evaporation, the soot on the wick, and what not...

WinstonSmith

Newly Enlightened

I carry a Zippo daily.. Fullsize, the little thin ones are pitiful.

I collect them to a very small degree, and have about a dozen I'd not want to part with, so I carry a breakup zippo.

A breakup zippo (or a crap bin zippo) is one being sold on ebay for about $5. Mine was a polished brass model with "To Mike, Love Michelle" engraved on it. Looked like it had been left outside a while.

If anything is wrong with the guts, send the thing back to Zippo and let them rebuild it for you. They're fabulous about that, and will likely send you a few free flints along with your brand new guts and hinge.

Now, we bust out our trusty dremel tool with paper sanding disks or whatever's handy. Just take the finish right off, side to side, over the whole zippo. Engraving may take some real buzzing, but rest assured it'll be fine.

The result will be a funky matte brass zippo (they're all brass under the finish), that will tarnish into something neat indeed. You never need worry about key scratches or even dents, they just add more character, and you can lose the thing without getting overly bent about it.

I spent a bit of time collecting lighters.. Ended up with a few nice Scripto Vues and some vintage WW1 trench lighters in addition to the zippos.

paulr

Flashaholic

Zippos are bulletproof but like all liquid fuel lighters, the fluid evaporates and they need regular refueling. They can also leak. I think they're best for frequent users (e.g. smokers). For occasional users, I think butane is the way to go. The Sarome and Varaflame sound great and I wonder if there's good ways to repair leaky ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.