The world is going to change this is remarkable

turbodog

Flashaholic
Not sure where you're coming to this from so forgive me if I overexplain. I'm looking at this largely from a transportation perspective which is where most of the interest in hydrogen arises.

To add a not insignificant tidbit: hydrogen is flammable in air at practically all concentrations unlike gasoline, propane, butane, etc.

Also: The minimum ignition energy of hydrogen in air is one of the lowest among known substances at 0.02 mJ, and hydrogen-air mixtures can ignite with 1/10 the effort of igniting gasoline-air mixtures

Or, a good way to describe hydrogen, something that CPFers can understand... it's the lithium of the gas world, something readily apparent given they are both column 1 on the periodic table.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your average person 1) can picket a nuke facility and 2) lacks even a basic understanding of what they are picketing.

Plenty of modern nuke plants. Bill Gates funded r&d into a plant that 1) can't melt down and 2) consumes nuclear waste and weapons.

It's held up due to some tariff/political issues but hopefully that will be resolved soon.
It was a joke M8.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
To add a not insignificant tidbit: hydrogen is flammable in air at practically all concentrations unlike gasoline, propane, butane, etc.
Or, a good way to describe hydrogen, something that CPFers can understand... it's the lithium of the gas world, something readily apparent given they are both column 1 on the periodic table.
It's better than flammable across the spectrum of atmospheric concentrations - it's explosive. It's a largely solved problem in the pilot programs with compressed hydrogen. This cutaway goes to show how well protected that the hydrogen tanks are in the Toyota Mirai. It's also why Toyota and other players were toying with hydrogen canisters for smaller-scale use to further idiot-proof the idea.

But just because we've developed systems that have mad substantial progress towards making hydrogen usage as safe-ish as liquid fuels and/or propane canisters that doesn't clear the other more substantial hurdles to its adoption.

Good to hear from you idleprocess
Thanks.

LRJ88

Enlightened
Plenty of proxies for poverty: literacy (improving), vaccines (improving), infant mortality (improving), cellular/internet access (improving), etc.

You must have misread my posts. Solving it in one fell swoop? Not gonna happen. Generations of poverty take generations to improve, but it is happening.

I can send you the info, but I can't make you understand it.
I've read the info there. I've heard i don't know how many different people talk about that kind of stuff from when i was in politics, and while it's an admirable thing to want to achieve it's also something which pretty much no-one can define to a degree which makes a lick of sense on a global scale.

What i'm saying is that the whole "we could end world poverty" is a pipe dream, if nothing else due to the many different views on what poverty is and how it'd be applied on something even as small as a country. The best thing to do would be to attempt to get standards up to a point where even if there's still poverty, there's no lack of basic necessities as they are in the region it's being implemented in, it's still an extremely lofty goal but outside of that the only way to end world poverty as it has been described by so many people would be to create a global dictatorship and steamroll over any and all differences between people outside of their living habitat.

When absolutely everything you write about fusion is based exclusively on one single subset of the knowledge we currently have, which is rather limited, than saying that you are basing your conclusions on a limited set of knowledge is again purely observation. That you do it repeatedly, makes you narrow minded, poorly researched, and dogmatic. I could probably point to the exact argument that you base most of your arguments from, including your lack of knowledge w.r.t. D-D fusion, which is very inefficient at low temperature, but not at high temperatures, but efficiency is a meaningless concept. What matters is net energy at what cost.

As well, you clearly are not aware or choose not to accept that D-T and D-D are not the only fusion reactions being explored. Other fusion reactions, including ones that don't produce energetic neutrons are being researched. Eliminating energetic neutrons eliminates containment damage and radioactive byproducts. We are very new to controlled nuclear fusion, and the number of people doing pure research in the field is rather. Your claim w.r.t. limited research in solar is patently wrong and take this as a ad-hom, poorly researched and lacking in knowledge. Deployments alone are $50Bill/year. However, solar energy, especially PV, benefits from massive amounts of related research in semiconductor processing, crystal and amorphous semiconductor grown, diffusion and multi-layer processing, and a large range of activities w.r.t. different materials for radiation to electricity production. Even all the spends on things like weather satellites, solar monitoring, etc. contributes to solar power research. Far far more people are involved directly and indirectly in solar energy research especially when you add storage into that mix. However, like fusion, just throwing more money at the problem is not going to solve anything over night. There are simply not enough researchers to progress, and even if there was, no guarantee they move in the right directions.

w.r.t. what will happen in our lifetime w.r.t fusion. How many expected rockets to actually land, under power, on earth, let alone 2 at once? We don't have a successful formula yet. Give up and we never will.

w.r.t fission, there have been fission reactors since the 60's that cannot melt down. CANDU technology reactors do not melt down. Most reactors need a moderator to stop uncontrolled reactions. CANDU needs to have a moderator to maintain the reaction. Take out the moderator, no reaction. The world is a very very big place with lots of places we could not use. Middle of the Sahara. Northern Canad. Parts of Russia, etc. spots where you could set aside thousands of square miles for storage. Moving to Thorium cycle reduces waste considerably. Nuscales SMR design prevents melt-down as well. MMR type USNC's employs a similar huge ratio between surface area and energy production. The last two have also developed some new concepts w.r.t. fuel delivery. We are in many ways entering a new era of nuclear fission after decades with almost no new research. Like SpaceX, private companies are entering the fray heavily bringing new ideas with an eye on commercialization to the table.

Renewable are of course going to be part of the mix, but the real cost needs to be considered when they are the only source, i.e. no peaking/replacement source such as gas. They need large amount of storage. As mentioned, not hours, but days and more. Look at the storm of the last week? Large swaths of US and Canada too cloudy/covered for solar, and the wind speed often beyond that wind turbines could operate at. That requires a ton of storage.

Call to authority? No, referencing the people who actually have to ensure the power stays on, not the ramblings of one person on the web who thinks he knows more than expert, is not a call to authority, it is accepting there are people, whose job this is, probably know more than I do and certainly you. Nuclear provides highly reliable base load generation, that is relatively immune from fuel pricing pressures, i.e. predicable. That base load generation greatly reduces storage requirements allowing better utilization of renewables without the burden of fossil based backup.

I personally don't buy much into the hydrogen concept, but if someone comes up with a better storage method, that could change. The current compressed methods may be close. Ammonia may be an interesting alternative for high energy density storage requirements. Some interesting concepts for very large scale hydrogen production using solar over ocean water.

turbodog

Flashaholic
It's better than flammable across the spectrum of atmospheric concentrations - it's explosive. It's a largely solved problem in the pilot programs with compressed hydrogen. ...

The wikipedia article brought up some _interesting_ problems. Bring lighter than air, it accumulates in the ceiling. People's garages are set to allow vapors to exit at floor level, but most would allow accumulation up top. Just one slow leak over time and 'bam'.

With a clear flame and miniscule amounts needed to sustain combustion that brings in tons of other issues.

As a society, we've learned to deal with gas/diesel so as to not usually kill ourselves. H2 would be a whole new game, one the entire world would have to learn. Don't see it happening.

This ignores the cumulative effect of its escape velocity... leaks would exit the atmosphere. One a really long timeline, which I'm not going to attempt to calculate, this would impact global water reserves.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Someone will develop a brilliant ICE engine that cracks ammonia in a motor itself & then burns the H2, bolt on a hybrid driveline
.. nothing's impossible.

bullish on it

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
When absolutely everything you write about fusion is based exclusively on one single subset of the knowledge we currently have, which is rather limited, than saying that you are basing your conclusions on a limited set of knowledge is again purely observation. That you do it repeatedly, makes you narrow minded, poorly researched, and dogmatic. I could probably point to the exact argument that you base most of your arguments from, including your lack of knowledge w.r.t. D-D fusion, which is very inefficient at low temperature, but not at high temperatures, but efficiency is a meaningless concept. What matters is net energy at what cost.

Well, that's the third time you've gone out of your way to call me stupid. Though I have clearly explained that any thing you can think of to say about me, personally, is in fact unsound argument, as is all fallacious reasoning.

The key difference between sound and unsound argument is that a sound argument is valid and has true premises whereas an unsound argument is invalid and/or has at least one false premise. An argument is only valid such that if its premises are true, then its conclusion must be true. When you waste your time insulting someone, you have already lost the argument. You can not be correct because your argument is necessarily invalid and unsound. But it is invalid twice because you're not only staging the argument on ad hominem, your argument here is overly vague, sometimes called handwaving. This also is fallacy and unsound reasoning.

I just want to repeat so it sinks in, when you argue "you don't know what you're talking about," or "you don't have the knowledge to understand" this employs fallacy, because even if true, it is irrelevant. It doesn't matter what I know. It also doesn't matter what you know. All that matters is what was said, not who said what. Any time you focus on an individual rather than their words, you've already lost.

Now please pay attention while I decimate your argument without having to attack you personally.

As well, you clearly are not aware or choose not to accept that D-T and D-D are not the only fusion reactions being explored. Other fusion reactions, including ones that don't produce energetic neutrons are being researched. Eliminating energetic neutrons eliminates containment damage and radioactive byproducts. We are very new to controlled nuclear fusion, and the number of people doing pure research in the field is rather.

This is a straw man argument and not my argument. You may introduce new topics if you wish, but it is not reasonable to lay them at my feet and tell me I don't know anything. But take a look at this page and roughly determine what percentage of all the fusion projects, ever, that were or are focusing on D-D? You can ignore all the fusion projects using tokamaks, stellarators, magnetic mirror, Z-pinch, and reversed field pinch; they're all D-T. The others probably are, too, I just got tired of checking.

Your claim w.r.t. limited research in solar is patently wrong

Declarative without support and overly vague. If you are talking about the 1% ratio of the costs to develop nuclear energy vs solar, it was extremely conservative. The United States DoE developed the first experimental nuclear power plant to generate electricity at a cost of ~$15B in 1951.

Bell Labs developed photovoltaic technology in 1954. They actually stumbled upon it while researching semi-conductors. I can't find any information on how much it cost Bell Labs, but I do know that it cost taxpayers nothing whatsoever.

But to give an idea, Bell Labs was funded with 1% of AT&T's profit the year before, and in 1950 that was $3B, so in 1951 Bell Labs operated on $30M or less, which if my math is right is 0.002% of the $15B DoE budget in 1951. So if that 1951 Bell Labs budget is even close to their 1954 budget, and they blew that entire budget on photovoltaic development, then I was only off by a factor of 500. And it only now occurs to me that I remembered wrong: it wasn't a ratio of 1%. Solar development cost a fraction of 1% of the cost of nuclear development. Of course, a good portion of that DoE budget in 1951 was spent on nuclear weapons, so maybe I wasn't off by as much as I think. But the development of nuclear power was mostly to make fuel for nuclear weapons, with electricity as a side effect, so maybe I was. But ultimately the takeaway here is that development of nuclear power was vastly, tremendously massively, mind-bogglingly more expensive than development of solar power.

and take this as a ad-hom, poorly researched and lacking in knowledge. Deployments alone are $50Bill/year. However, solar energy, especially PV, benefits from massive amounts of related research in semiconductor processing, crystal and amorphous semiconductor grown, diffusion and multi-layer processing, and a large range of activities w.r.t. different materials for radiation to electricity production. Even all the spends on things like weather satellites, solar monitoring, etc. contributes to solar power research. Far far more people are involved directly and indirectly in solar energy research especially when you add storage into that mix. However, like fusion, just throwing more money at the problem is not going to solve anything over night. There are simply not enough researchers to progress, and even if there was, no guarantee they move in the right directions.

I don't disagree with you, but this is another straw man.

w.r.t. what will happen in our lifetime w.r.t fusion. How many expected rockets to actually land, under power, on earth, let alone 2 at once? We don't have a successful formula yet. Give up and we never will.

You seem to be arguing that we don't know how much fusion will cost, so maybe it will be free or something. Of course that is ridiculous, it will be the opposite of free. But we actually do know enough about what it will cost to know it will be astronomically expensive, and most estimate it will cost at least 10 times more than the development of fission, which actually cost us in the tens of trillions of dollars from 1945 just up to the late 1970s. It's $10B to build a nuclear power plant when it is cheap. Industrial scale solar plants cost in the area of single to low double digit millions. It's not even close, man.

w.r.t fission, there have been fission reactors since the 60's that cannot melt down. CANDU technology reactors do not melt down. Most reactors need a moderator to stop uncontrolled reactions. CANDU needs to have a moderator to maintain the reaction. Take out the moderator, no reaction. The world is a very very big place with lots of places we could not use. Middle of the Sahara. Northern Canad. Parts of Russia, etc. spots where you could set aside thousands of square miles for storage. Moving to Thorium cycle reduces waste considerably. Nuscales SMR design prevents melt-down as well. MMR type USNC's employs a similar huge ratio between surface area and energy production. The last two have also developed some new concepts w.r.t. fuel delivery. We are in many ways entering a new era of nuclear fission after decades with almost no new research. Like SpaceX, private companies are entering the fray heavily bringing new ideas with an eye on commercialization to the table.

Really fascinating. Truly, you have taught me stuff. Still, this is a straw man. But how much you want to bet CANDU cost a lot more than conventional fission reactors, which is why no one is building them, either?

Renewable are of course going to be part of the mix, but the real cost needs to be considered when they are the only source, i.e. no peaking/replacement source such as gas. They need large amount of storage. As mentioned, not hours, but days and more. Look at the storm of the last week? Large swaths of US and Canada too cloudy/covered for solar, and the wind speed often beyond that wind turbines could operate at. That requires a ton of storage.

idk about you, but I'm pretty happy with how much batteries have gotten better in the last 20 years, and I'll be ecstatic if they get even better. There's a lot going on there with all kinds of innovative chemistries, and I have no idea which one or few will win and become the standards, but I suspect they will be the ones that are profitable.

Call to authority? No, referencing the people who actually have to ensure the power stays on, not the ramblings of one person on the web who thinks he knows more than expert, is not a call to authority, it is accepting there are people, whose job this is, probably know more than I do and certainly you. Nuclear provides highly reliable base load generation, that is relatively immune from fuel pricing pressures, i.e. predicable. That base load generation greatly reduces storage requirements allowing better utilization of renewables without the burden of fossil based backup.

Would you trust a mechanic to tell you what and where transportation will be in 50 or 100 years? Would you trust a maintenance expert or builder to tell you where structures will be in 50 or 100 years? Would you trust an IT technician to tell you what and where computers will be in 50 or 100 years? I have a lot of respect for utility workers, but I think maybe in that question they may have their own self-interest biasing their unsurprising clairvoyance on the subject.

I personally don't buy much into the hydrogen concept, but if someone comes up with a better storage method, that could change. The current compressed methods may be close. Ammonia may be an interesting alternative for high energy density storage requirements. Some interesting concepts for very large scale hydrogen production using solar over ocean water.

OK. I don't really know, but whatever it is, it expect will be economically sustainable and won't cause the entire First and Second Worlds to go broke.

Last edited:

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
To the extent we can make predictions about fusion:
  1. It's an uncertain period of time away from engineering profitability - i.e. Qtotal>10, ideally >20 - likely measured on the decades timescale
  2. Once (1) has been achieved it's an additional uncertain period of time away from economic feasibility
To again repeat myself I feel it's worth continued research, but it's not likely to arrive within the lifetime of anyone presently alive.

Ergo, we'll need to lean on energy sources that are COTS technology or a step or two of applied research away from economic viability rather than uncertain basic research milestones.

I use the term economic viability not to mean that such a plant would turn a profit on a reasonable schedule for investors, but that such a plant would only require a level of OPEX and CAPEX that the host society can afford relative to other alternatives. On the CAPEX side there's the R&D burden, the costs of construction using materials methods and designs that presently do not exist, learning burdens on a series of development reactors on the way to a 'revenue' design.. On the OPEX side there's the labor cost of operations + maintenance, and fuel - i.e. deuterium separated from water as well as lithium to be enriched into tritium in situ.

A point that others have been making is that - and as I alluded to earlier - there are technologies available now or viable within years with applied research rather than uncertain decades of basic research - that have well understood cost, operations, and performance characteristics. There's no point waiting for nuclear fusion to be viable when we can use these technologies.
I guess what I was trying to say was that me might decide to build fusion reactors (once they become available) despite cheaper alternatives for the benefits over said alternatives that they bring. There are lots of examples were one might chose a more expensive alternative in favor of more economical options, despite their cost. If a country like the US can spend a trillion annually on defense, they can certainly afford keeping a few fusion reactors running. You cannot convince me that a fusion reactor would literally bankrupt a country (which is what it seems to me you are implying). Considering the energy-independence & grid security that they bring, it might be worth it to swallow the cost for some nations. Especially if their grids are heavily dependent on imported fuels or imported energy altogether & other renewables are not an attractive (or feasible) option. Of cause such a country would need a good economy & be reasonably rich to be able to afford that. Thats why I said in my first post that fusion is likely going to be 1st world exclusive for at least this century, probably even longer.

Nuclear remains an alternative but frankly I dont see the negative stigma associated with it going anywhere & see it as more likely a country would be willing to invest a lot more in fusion before building more fission, although there are exceptions.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I guess what I was trying to say was that me might decide to build fusion reactors (once they become available) despite cheaper alternatives for the benefits over said alternatives that they bring.
Perhaps. However there are too many unknowns to make that call at this time.

If a country like the US can spend a trillion annually on defense, they can certainly afford keeping a few fusion reactors running.
Political economy is a weird thing that doesn't follow conventional economic logic. Whatever analogue exists to fleet aircraft carriers or military submarines in the future may well be a candidate for the first cost is no object reactor that fits within a military budget and can be operated reliably with a staff of mere engineers and technicians. Or a deep continuity-of-government shelter. Or Lunar Station Alpha Beta. Or an interstellar spacecraft far better than Project Orion. Or a Disaster Area concert.

You cannot convince me that a fusion reactor would literally bankrupt a country (which is what it seems to me you are implying).
At a loss how you came to this conclusion when I've consistently saying that the long slow history of fusion power research points to big science budget engineering 'profitability' is a long ways off (where it might have military or at least strategic government applications) and economic viability (where such things are deployed for commercial use) even further away.

No nation will bankrupt themselves building these scouring the earth for just enough handwavium and unobtanium to build a just-viable fusion reactor then dedicate research scientists to its operation and upkeep at the pre-alpha stage. They'll be research projects until the research is halted or they develop into something that can be iterated upon in the step towards utility.

Considering the energy-independence & grid security that they bring, it might be worth it to swallow the cost for some nations. Especially if their grids are heavily dependent on imported fuels or imported energy altogether & other renewables are not an attractive (or feasible) option.
Presently you can put a price on existing alternative technologies and weigh their other merits vs importing fossil fuels. One can with reasonable error bars theorycraft the expected costs and merits of a number of alternatives that have been prototyped or repeatedly demonstrated in the lab awaiting some last steps of applied research. You cannot do either of these with fusion power.

Nuclear remains an alternative but frankly I dont see the negative stigma associated with it going anywhere & see it as more likely a country would be willing to invest a lot more in fusion before building more fission, although there are exceptions.
For shame because for all the angst directed at nuclear, the real tragedy is that the status quo endures. In spite of well-known disasters like Three Mile Island, Chernobyl, Fukushima, nuclear power has killed far fewer people than nearly all other sources of power per TWh of power generation.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
For shame because for all the angst directed at nuclear, the real tragedy is that the status quo endures. In spite of well-known disasters like Three Mile Island, Chernobyl, Fukushima, nuclear power has killed far fewer people than nearly all other sources of power per TWh of power generation.
Its a often repeated statistic, but I would argue impossible to prove. If you factor in the people who developed cancers later in life (even decades later) which are only indirectly connected to a (even slight) increase in background radiation or radioactive contamination of their food/drink/habitat over a long period of time caused by one of those disasters, the number of casualties might be exponentially higher. But this is speculation & like I said likely impossible to either prove or disprove.

If you'd do the same with coal, which also releases radioactive isotopes into the atmosphere on top of other pollutants, the number would be orders of magnitude higher compared to nuclear. Atomic weapons testing has done far more to increase global background radiation then fission reactors, although I have no idea how far its gone down since atmospheric testing was banned. There are so many things that made & continue to make us sick. Coal, leaded fuel (which likely killed millions), pesticides, certain industrial chemical byproducts, plastics... Its doubtful nuclear disasters or even weapons testing would even make a dent compared to that.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
We now have a super highway system in the US so that if we are invaded there are multiple ways the military can move about. I've inspected bridges and pavements in some really off the beaten path places that are built for tanks and fuel tanker trucks to use if needed.

Point being, if the military were tasked with providing themselves with renewable energy we'd all likely benefit because it would probably not be isolated to given, known military installation but would be devised and built to be used wherever a battle requires it. Example is certain places in America have multiple fuel depots we get our gssoline from but they were built to supply massive anounts of fuel to the military if needed. Profit and tax revenue occur and help upkeep. There are places on our highway system built to be landing strips for military aircraft if needed. Some are toll roads where profit and tax revenue ensure its upkeep.

If profit and tax revenue are involved the military may build it but capitalism will keep it running.

Well, that's the third time you've gone out of your way to call me stupid. Though I have clearly explained that any thing you can think of to say about me, personally, is in fact unsound argument, as is all fallacious reasoning.

I was not calling you stupid before. I am now. You have brought that on yourself with your continued dogmatic, short sighted, arrogant, Dunning-Krugerism.

. The United States DoE developed the first experimental nuclear power plant to generate electricity at a cost of ~$15B in 1951.

EBR-1, the first major building of the National Reactor Testing Station, was completed by April 1951 for approximately $2.7 million.

That is equivalent in buying power to $31.1 million in November 2022.

Like I said, I am not calling you stupid, you are calling you stupid. Perhaps you got that $15 billion talking point off a website. Still on you, for not seeing how ridiculous that number is

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was not calling you stupid before. I am now. You have brought that on yourself with your continued dogmatic, short sighted, arrogant, Dunning-Krugerism.

EBR-1, the first major building of the National Reactor Testing Station, was completed by April 1951 for approximately $2.7 million.

That is equivalent in buying power to $31.1 million in November 2022.

Like I said, I am not calling you stupid, you are calling you stupid. Perhaps you got that $15 billion talking point off a website. Still on you, for not seeing how ridiculous that number is

I only linked to my source, the DoE budget in 1951, but links are tricky. $2.7M was only the construction cost for a reactor smaller than a high school gym and putting out about 400kW. Including research and development the price tag was over $5M, which is about $50M today. I'm sure there is someone here who knows some math that can explain to you that this was an insanely expensive experimental reactor, and only the first. EBR-II in 1965 cost $32M to produce 19MW, close to $300M today (well, $285M). If you care to, please tell us how much that electricity actually cost and explain how that is cheap.

Again, Bell Labs stumbled upon photovoltaics in 1954, stumbled upon, which means solar power was a side effect of their semi-conductor research, so in a very real way its initial development literally cost nothing, a lot like sunlight.

My estimate that the development of solar power cost 1% of the development of nuclear power was extremely conservative, but probably off by a factor of somewhere between 10 and 500 in the direction you wish it weren't. Dozens of trillions of dollars were dumped into nuclear spanning nearly 4 decades, and it never got cheap, and never can get cheap. It's neat, relatively clean, amazing that we can split the atom, just incredible, and yet economically unviable. Though photovoltaics were first developed in the 1950s, solar development really only seriously took off about 20-25ya, and in that time their efficiency has increased by a factor of 5 while system cost has plummeted 80-90%, and solar development was funded nearly entirely privately.

Waste of their money, right? Yet apparently some here prefer to pay taxes to fund the single most expensive method of generating electricity ever devised, only to have the privilege of paying for it again and again at premium rates on utility bills every month. If we built any more nuclear power plants, it could only have the effect of increasing the price of electricity. Fusion would make electricity cost ten times more than that, conservatively.

The average home uses about 10,000 kWh of electricity a month. A single 400W solar panel will on average generate 54kWh of electricity a month. The typical sized home can host an average of 97 solar panels generating on average just over 5,000kWh of electricity a month. If every structure already standing or built was required to generate half of its own electricity, the total cumulative electricity needed to power society would be cut in half, and we'd only need half the power plants we have today, massively reducing the carbon footprint of the energy sector. This would have the effect of cutting the price of electricity in half because demand for electricity would be cut in half. The effect would be everyone getting electric bills that are a quarter of what they are now.

Last edited:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
If we start listing things we previously thought impossible but made it into reality, we'd have a very long thread.

I believe anything IS possible, if not today tomorrow it will. It usually surpasses our expectations too.
Remember back to the future 2, where they went from 1985 to 2015, the movie was made in late 80s, they had future version of payphones in 2015, but in reality payphones were obsolete in 2015. yet in late 80s they imagined we'd fly on hoverboards, have size adjustive clothing, yet they never thought everyone was gonna carry their own phone.
That thread would actually be endless!

I only linked to my source, the DoE budget in 1951, but links are tricky. $2.7M was only the construction cost for a reactor smaller than a high school gym and putting out about 400kW. Including research and development the price tag was over $5M, which is about $50M today.

Links are tricky? What? Links are only "tricky" if you don't read what they link to which is pretty obvious at this point that you are just parroting what others have said and can't think / understand for yourself, and if you think that is an ad-hom, feel free to think that. You have been shown now to be wasting everyone's time now.

I'm sure there is someone here who knows some math that can explain to you that this was an insanely expensive experimental reactor, and only the first.
Insanely expensive? That is about 250 half decently paid professionals, fully burdened salaries, for one year. I gave people regional sales budgets higher than that and single customer sales budgets as well. Again, you are showing you don't have a clue.

EBR-II in 1965 cost $32M to produce 19MW, close to $300M today (well, $285M). If you care to, please tell us how much that electricity actually cost and explain how that is cheap.
In the big R&D scheme of things, that is dirt cheap.

Again, Bell Labs stumbled upon photovoltaics in 1954, stumbled upon, which means solar power was a side effect of their semi-conductor research, so in a very real way its initial development literally cost nothing, a lot like sunlight.
Fission is naturally occurring. I guess based on your logic, fission power research was free. Oy vey, talk about mental gymnastics.

My estimate that the development of solar power cost 1% of the development of nuclear power was
pulled out of a body part. I will leave that up to readers to guess which body part.

Though photovoltaics were first developed in the 1950s, solar development really only seriously took off about 20-25ya, and in that time their efficiency has increased by a factor of 5 while system cost has plummeted 80-90%, and solar development was funded nearly entirely privately.
again, talking out of another body part. In the last 25 years, the efficiency of the primary cell type used, crystalline and poly-crystalline cells has only improved a small amount, about 25-30%, and not much in the last 15 year. As systems have gotten larger, the actual system level efficiency increase has been even less. Cost down yes mainly due to Asian MFG, but efficiency no. Multi-junction cells took a leap, but they only work at extremely high solar irradiation levels and require large concentrators to work.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url...ved=0CBAQjRxqFwoTCNCI95i_nPwCFQAAAAAdAAAAABBY

Waste of their money, right? Yet apparently some here prefer to pay taxes to fund the single most expensive method of generating electricity ever devised,
We are currently paying a lot of taxes to the most expensive generation ever, roof top residential solar, all that over priced, stuff from the 2010's which essentially just shipped money off shore. The money on that outstrips the R&D on Nuclear in the US by a large amount but you just guess at things so don't know that.

only to have the privilege of paying for it again and again at premium rates on utility bills every month. If we built any more nuclear power plants, it could only have the effect of increasing the price of electricity. Fusion would make electricity cost ten times more than that, conservatively.
Again, pulling figures out of body parts ....

The average home uses about 10,000 kWh of electricity a month. A single 400W solar panel will on average generate 54kWh of electricity a month.

Here, this is where you copied your poor estimate, "A 400W solar panel receiving 4.5 peak sun hours per day can produce 1.8 kWh of electricity per day, as we found in the example above. Now we can multiply 1.8 kWh by 30 days to find that the average solar panel can produce 54 kWh of electricity per month."

This is not remotely the case though. 4.5 peak sun hours is assuming perfectly south facing, perfect angle, no losses, yearly average. That is rarely if ever the case for buildings, especially after all losses. If you get 75% of that, you are doing very well.

The typical sized home can host an average of 97 solar panels generating on average just over 5,000kWh of electricity a month.
Ooops, we are up to 97 / 0.75 = 130. Of course, that is yearly average. Do you really think the average house can support 97 - 400 watt panels, or 130? Typical 400W panel is 21 square feet. 130 * 21 = 28,000 square feet. I am doing pretty well for myself, but my house is not going to support 28,000 square feet of panels. Try that on an apartment building/condo, or even town/row houses.

Oh, and in December, you need 50% more, and you need 5-6 days of storage. Where will they put the batteries, what is the costs, maintenance, cost of the space, disposal costs, etc?

This would have the effect of cutting the price of electricity in half because demand for electricity would be cut in half. The effect would be everyone getting electric bills that are a quarter of what they are now.

1/4 the amount huh? .... nope, because it would all be peak production now, so the cost would decrease less, and it would be required in the worst possible moments, raising cost.

Remember what you claimed was a call to authority, me quoting actual power engineers who need to deliver electricity? Well it is quite obvious you are not one of them.

I personally am done with this conversation. Some people are stuck and can't imagine people are smarter than them and will figure out big problems. They hold the world back.