Automotive There are separate GE Nighthawk Platinum bulbs for H4 and 9003 on Amazon

haha1234

Newly Enlightened
What is the difference between the two? I know most bulbs are the same for both 9003 and H4, which is why it seems odd for GE to make two separate bulbs.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the difference between the two? I know most bulbs are the same for both 9003 and H4, which is why it seems odd for GE to make two separate bulbs.

There are real and distinct differences between the 9003/HB2 and H4, but a bulb marked either way can potentially still comply with either spec. The 9003 has more precise filament placement, but slightly lower maximum intensity than the H4.

Last edited:

jeepj667

Newly Enlightened
Watch the prices on Amazon. I just got 2 pair of 9003NHP's for $12.95/pair a week ago. I see they are now at $39.99/pair.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Whoah, $13 for a pair??? Guess it must have been some kind of super blowout sale, that's a complete steal!

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
The 9003 has more precise filament placement, but slightly lower maximum intensity than the H4.

True, from the standpoint of what the two different technical standards permit. In practice, it's important to understand this does not mean an H4 puts out more light than an HB2 (9003).

hokiefyd

Newly Enlightened
I didn't post a link here, because I was unsure of that policy, but I bought a pair of GE NHP in H11 for $18/pair the other day on Amazon. A quick search of Amazon indicates that the deal is still on.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Watch the prices on Amazon. I just got 2 pair of 9003NHP's for $12.95/pair a week ago. I see they are now at $39.99/pair.

Holy TOLEDO! That's a great deal! Seriously, the NightHawk Platinum? (Not the "Sport" or the non-Platinum?)
I'm going to have to check there pretty frequently; the Previa's 9003 XTPs are still working but it'd be nice to have spares.

haha1234

Newly Enlightened
The H11 NHP is still on sale and is currently $17.37.

Also, look under the "x used and new for $xx.xx" Amazon has "outlet" sales listed as "used" buit really they are brand new with superficial "damage" to the packaging.

jeepj667

Newly Enlightened
Now I wish I would have ordered more than the two pair, for backups.
0uTgWfk8

http://db.tt/0uTgWfk8

hokiefyd

Newly Enlightened
I didn't post a link here, because I was unsure of that policy, but I bought a pair of GE NHP in H11 for $18/pair the other day on Amazon. A quick search of Amazon indicates that the deal is still on.

With some disappointment, I have to report that we have already burned one of these H11s out in our Acura MDX. This is a first for us; I've never had bulbs installed long enough for one to burn out (talking many years), and we lost one of the NHPs in about 8 months of light-to-moderate use. This car does not have DRLs and we don't use headlamps during the day, unless there is precipitation. Sylvania Xtravisions (actually marked OSRAM) have gone back in. I expect many years of service.

Differences between the two. The GE gives a much "whiter/bluer" color on the fringes of the beam pattern than the Sylvania does. The beam pattern is also much more "mushroom-shaped" with the GE. That is, there is a lot of light in the center, with fringe light concentrated towards the upper area of the beam under the vertical cutoff. The Sylvania seems to give slightly less on-center light and more light spread towards the sides under the vertical cutoff. It has more of a "rectangular" shape to the beam pattern than a "mushroom", if that makes any sense.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
With some disappointment, I have to report that we have already burned one of these H11s out in our Acura MDX. This is a first for us; I've never had bulbs installed long enough for one to burn out (talking many years), and we lost one of the NHPs in about 8 months of light-to-moderate use. This car does not have DRLs and we don't use headlamps during the day, unless there is precipitation. Sylvania Xtravisions (actually marked OSRAM) have gone back in. I expect many years of service.

I had similar experience with the X-Treme Vision 9006, but it was to be expected. There's a tradeoff between long life and excellent performance-- and by the time the XtraVisions burn out, they'll have outlived their usefulness due to the lumen maintenance of halogen bulbs, as well as the dendritic growth from metal redeposition as part of the halogen cycle (it's even more so with "Long Life" bulbs).

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I don't agree that the Xtravisions will have outlived their usefulness by the time they burn out. Their output is a little better than a standard bulb and their lifespan is somewhat shorter than a standard bulb. The bulbs that tend to outlive their usefulness by the mechanisms you describe are the longer-lived standard bulbs and the long-life variants.

But yes, the short life of a Philips Xtreme or a GE Night Hawk Platinum is the price to be paid for the better seeing. I think it's a reasonable tradeoff (bulbs are cheap; car parts and people parts aren't) but then my car has easily-changed bulbs. Some vehicles require extensive and expensive disassembly work just to get at the bulb.

sadtimes

Enlightened
I had a similar experience with the Xtreme vision H7 (? 2011 jetta, pretty sure it is H7)... nonetheless, no DRL's, lights only used at night or in weather other than sunshine, the passenger bulb lasted about 6 months, at first I thought I had a wiring problem due to the short amount of time since I installed the bulbs, I thought no way they had blown, but sure enough, one didnt make it.

The interesting part is I had the Xtreme vision installed in 2008 crown vic (patrol car, and I forget the bulb number although 9007 comes to mind), we work night shift regularly and drive down rough roads, sometimes at speed, so plenty of use and vibration, and that set lasted twice as long. /me shrugs

I plan to keep using the Xtreme vision in Jetta as you can actually see the difference on the roadway.

On a side note, my Miata has a wiring harness that delivers 14.2v to 14.3v to the HIR bulbs (9005 and 9006, and I forget who makes them, they came from candlepowerstore.com), and it sees regular use at night, those have lasted for almost a year, although I will say they dont seem to be as impressive as they first were, maybe I've become used to them, or maybe the bulbs have degraded to the point its time to change them...

Last edited:

Lightdoctor

Enlightened
drmalenko ((I had a similar experience with the Xtreme vision H7 (? 2011 jetta, pretty sure it is H7)... nonetheless, no DRL's, lights only used at night or in weather other than sunshine, the passenger bulb lasted about 6 months, at first I thought I had a wiring problem due to the short amount of time since I installed the bulbs, I thought no way they had blown, but sure enough, one didnt make it.))

Have you ever considered using Osram's #64217 65W H7 in place of the Philips Xtreme Vision? Not only are they brighter, but they last longer too.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
The interesting part is I had the Xtreme vision installed in 2008 crown vic (patrol car, and I forget the bulb number although 9007 comes to mind), we work night shift regularly and drive down rough roads, sometimes at speed, so plenty of use and vibration, and that set lasted twice as long. /me shrugs

HB5 (9007) is inherently a much longer-lived bulb than H7. Also, probably quite a lot of voltage drop in the headlamp circuit of that (like every other) Crown Victoria.

On a side note, my Miata has a wiring harness that delivers 14.2v to 14.3v to the HIR bulbs (9005 and 9006, and I forget who makes them, they came from candlepowerstore.com), and it sees regular use at night, those have lasted for almost a year, although I will say they dont seem to be as impressive as they first were, maybe I've become used to them, or maybe the bulbs have degraded to the point its time to change them...

They won't have degraded appreciably in that time, and won't for quite some time yet.

sadtimes

Enlightened
HB5 (9007) is inherently a much longer-lived bulb than H7. Also, probably quite a lot of voltage drop in the headlamp circuit of that (like every other) Crown Victoria.

They won't have degraded appreciably in that time, and won't for quite some time yet.

I figured you would be able to explain it...

Glad to hear that, you just saved me 100 bucks!

Cant get the quotes seperate on this tablet, so this is best I could do, :)

JTMcC

Newly Enlightened
True, from the standpoint of what the two different technical standards permit. In practice, it's important to understand this does not mean an H4 puts out more light than an HB2 (9003).
So is it safe to assume that the HB2 (9003) puts out more light than the H4? And, that the GE Nighthawk Platinum is the better choice in that bulb? J