Thin 14500 EDC to replace 2XAAA Maglite?

Viperbart

Newly Enlightened
1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

Up to $90

3) Format:

I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:

SMALL - 4 to 5 inches
no more than 1 inch diameter.

5) Emitter/Light source:

LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:

I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.

7) What power source do you want to use?

It could use "Primary"/Disposable Lithium batteries based on the usual AAA/AA and CR123 sized cells common to most stores (often a cold weather or long storage choice).

It could use Rechargeable cells (NiMH) based on the usual AAA/AA sized cells common to most stores.

I want to use Rechargeable cells based on less common formats (14500 Li-Ion.)

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience)

I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).

Up close (less than 2 feet)

I want search and rescue type illumination (800+ lumens).

SPECIAL NOTE: Burst/Turbo mode Category - There are several lights that will run at a super bright maximum for a very limited period (usually 5-10 minutes) and then will "step-down" to a lower level for thermal control. Check here if this is acceptable.

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

Wide Throw: I want a beam with a noticeable hot-center for distance throw and a significant amount of "side-spill". Good for rough trail hiking, search and rescue, and general distance work.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)

50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)
150+ yards (I am searching from a helicopter)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

60-120minutes

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

I don't know.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)

14)Material/Finish/Coating

I don't know.

15) Water resistance

IPX7 (Waterproof to 1 meter/30min)

16) Storage conditions

Automobile glove-box (wide temperature swings, long standby periods, critical reliability)

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.

I'm looking for an EDC light for an RCMP family member.
He currently uses a Maglite with 2XAAA right now in his front pocket along with a pen and paper pad.
He doesn't like when his light dies on him with no warning. So a way to check the battery would be essential.

I would like to buy him a super do it all light with 1000+ lumens and an 18650 but I think that would be too big for his front vest pocket carry.

14500 li-ion batteries would be used as main source of power.
Being able to run regular alkaleeks in a pinch would be essential.

What can CPF recommend?

Poppy

Flashaholic
I don't own any 14500 lights, so I am not the best versed in them, and what's available. BUT I believe that your preferences are NOT obtainable in that sized light. Wide Throw, Search and Rescue illumination. Not in a small thin light.

I think that good quality single AA lights that will support 14500 lithiums will include recommendations of Eagletac D series lights, and 4sevens quarks.

I'm sure others will be able to make more specific recommendations.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ya your parameters are impossible to get. About 400 OTF lumens is about all you're going to get and it won't be for 60-120 min. Your want of a 1000 lumens for that runtime isn't even possible with an 18650 light except maybe an mt-g2 but then you'll get no hot spot at all and can't be run on a single cell. 250 lumens is about right for an hour on a single 14500 with a throw/flood beam. More with an xm-l but then no hotspot

pokelda2

Newly Enlightened
Like others have said your specs are basically impossible in that price range/size/battery etc.
You might not realize how much power your asking for, 1000 lumins is A LOT of light if hes using it with a clipboard and paper or what not 1k lumins will put a serious hurt on your eyes at clipboard distance.
I think 1000 lumins might be something like a car headlight on high.
if hes looking for something relatively small but with good output in variable power levels then the foursevens quark series would be good. As well as the fenix series. pd32 has up to 340 lumins of output and can drop down to as low as 5. and there is plenty of warning when the battery is getting low because it will not be able to get to the higher power levels but you will still have an hour or so of usable light.

If power and durability is more of the issue then the fenix tk15 is a good choice the handle is about an inch in diameter and the head of the light is a little bigger, and the light is around the length of a 2AA maglite.

both the fenix lights require 2 cr123a batteries or 1 18650 rechargable lithium ion batteries.
with the foursevens quark you can get then in a variety of sizes, 1AA 2AA 1cr123a or 2 cr123a.
and they are small enough to carry in a pocket. Maybe not a front shirt pocket but still relatively small.

If your going to get something that uses cr123a batteries you may want to look into getting the rechargable ones. In the store cr123a batteries can range from $3 to $10 a piece, you can get them significantly cheaper on the internet but if its something thats going to be used a lot then rechargables will probably save you money in the long run. they make rechargable batteries the size of a single cr123a, and they also make versions that are the size of 2 of them which are called icr18650. Not all flashlights can take these though. The foursevens quark pro and tactical apparently are unable to handle the 18650 rechargable battery even though they run on 2 cr123a batteries.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
There is the d25a that eats 14500 or AA and bright.For more cell flexibility I will recommend the sunwayman v11r with extension,it eats AA/14500/123/16340

I have one in mirage flavour and love it.Clicky and infinite control ring.

ven

Flashaholic
As on phone it's easy to miss bits,the v11r is around 500lm which unless modified your going to struggle getting 1000lm from a 14500 ,not to mention the heat from a small light and poor run times too :) 18650 as mentioned would meat you demands and chosen well you can get small 18650 lights.Again heat and run time on high outputs will be limited due to size.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like others have said your specs are basically impossible in that price range/size/battery etc.
You might not realize how much power your asking for, 1000 lumins is A LOT of light if hes using it with a clipboard and paper or what not 1k lumins will put a serious hurt on your eyes at clipboard distance.
I think 1000 lumins might be something like a car headlight on high.
if hes looking for something relatively small but with good output in variable power levels then the foursevens quark series would be good. As well as the fenix series. pd32 has up to 340 lumins of output and can drop down to as low as 5. and there is plenty of warning when the battery is getting low because it will not be able to get to the higher power levels but you will still have an hour or so of usable light.

If power and durability is more of the issue then the fenix tk15 is a good choice the handle is about an inch in diameter and the head of the light is a little bigger, and the light is around the length of a 2AA maglite.

both the fenix lights require 2 cr123a batteries or 1 18650 rechargable lithium ion batteries.
with the foursevens quark you can get then in a variety of sizes, 1AA 2AA 1cr123a or 2 cr123a.
and they are small enough to carry in a pocket. Maybe not a front shirt pocket but still relatively small.

If your going to get something that uses cr123a batteries you may want to look into getting the rechargable ones. In the store cr123a batteries can range from $3 to $10 a piece, you can get them significantly cheaper on the internet but if its something thats going to be used a lot then rechargables will probably save you money in the long run. they make rechargable batteries the size of a single cr123a, and they also make versions that are the size of 2 of them which are called icr18650. Not all flashlights can take these though. The foursevens quark pro and tactical apparently are unable to handle the 18650 rechargable battery even though they run on 2 cr123a batteries.

The reason the quark lights won't work on an 18650 is that they don't fit. An 18650 is thicker than a cr123. A 17670 will fit though. And the recommendations are getting into the high output op is looking for but they're xm-l in a small reflector so not much of a hospot

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
My suggestion is the SRT3..will use a single AA, a single CR123, or a RCR123 in addition to a 14500. But no where near a 1000 lumens. Battery Junction has all Nitecore flashlights on sale this weekend.

Viperbart

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info guys. The nitecore str3 looks like what I'm looking for but the srt5 is even better with the same barrel diameter.
Just passes for the dimentions wanted and high enough output too. I guess 14500's just can't handle the power demands wanted.