Thin Narrow Beam with a light spill to cut through fog ...

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sorta getting ahead of myself, But there's a good chance me and the boy will be heading / working in a city with a lot of fog (extremely heavy / dense at times). I'm thinking I should'ah held on to my DEFT, however, I couldn't get use to the square beam. I still have my XSearcher, but like the DEFT, the square beam ain't cutting it, in addition to it's too large to lug around all night. I did own a bored out C2 body, after which I purchased a few drop-ins. One being a dereelight which gave off a thin beam with a light spill.

May decide to go that route again, or send my HCRI Rotary to Wayne to have him do a XP-E swap, or purchase another Fury and do the XP-E swap (if he can get the head off). But before I do, I figured I'd ask you'all for some recommendations.

In regards to batteries, it has to tun on rechargeable's since it'll be used / carried all night.

Size wise, no larger then the Fury.

UI, so long as the light comes on in high. Low / high is OK, but no having to cycle through a number of settings other then as mentioned low / high.

The main purpose for this light is to cut through the fog. Oh, BTW I have an LX2 so this may do the trick, not sure though.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the size you are going for(1x18650) I would suggest either the Eagletac G25C2 MKII or the Armytek Predator 2.5 with XP-G2. Another option would be the new Thrunite Lynx with either the regular or turbo head. These are some of the best factory throwers in the size you are after. There are some good reviews here for them all, too.

Albert56

Newly Enlightened
As I see it, no flashlight beam can really "cut through" heavy fog. The beam will be diffracted by the water droplets and rendered ineffective - basically creating a glowing aura in front of you. A floodier light won't send as much scatter directly back at you (same principle as not using your high beams while driving in fog), but isn't going to "penetrate" any better.

Ezeriel

Enlightened
My only thrower is the fenix e40, it's a great thrower, but I dunno if it's even comparable to the Deft

*it's about twice as bright as the 2C taskforce, if you ever had one of them

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the responses and suggestions! However I'm not necessarily looking for a thrower, but a light that'll provide the best possible distance in med to heavy fog (whether if be 10, 25 or 50 yards). This is the reason I thought the DEFT would shine due to it's beam is all hot spot, thus (as mentioned) less glare from the water droplets.

I have a Predator v.2 XP-G2 pro, but, ... well, may be I should hold on to it till to see how it performs. However, although it throws, the beam is (for my use, or eyes) not very pleasing due to it's abrupt transitions (it's like looking at a target). But if it works, it'll only be used when the fog rolls in, so I could live with it I guess. This is the same reasoning why I've decided to hold on to the XSearcher to see how it performs since this is the light I'd carry in the Jeep an not my person.

Thanks again!

PS I think the LED Lenser could be what I'm after.

Last edited: