Things I've learned the hard way . . .(Part 2)

Chauncey Gardiner

CPF Supporter
What I learned the hard way was that some instructions are critical. Take the warning to close the top of your wheeled garbage can before moving it. You know the big ones that are tapered up and get bigger at the top? The lid is so big if you don’t close the lid first and you go to push the can the lid is so big it drags on the ground. At this point you will step on said lid while pushing. This will stop all forwards momentum of the can but your inertia will keep you going and there’s only one place your heading! On a side note they ain’t easy to get out of when your face is smashed into the bottom and your shoulders are wedged against the sides. Seriously who designed these things?!

My father learned the hard way that it's not a good idea to climb into one of those containers. He did so to stomp the contents down. It rolled. He fell. His back broke. He went to the hospital.

richbuff

CPF Supporter
Supporter
Lol. I hate it when I take out the garbage and suddenly become a physics experiment.
If you want to do the math, don't forget that work = Kinetic Energy, which in turn is the integral of momentum. Mass times velocity is momentum, but the Work is KE, which is one half mass times velocity squared. When you integrate, don't forget to add + C.

richbuff

CPF Supporter
Supporter
I have now also learned that I don’t like math!😁

It is a whole new world to explore. Math is pure logic. The purpose of math is to quantify science. The integral of something is the area under the curve of something. Circumference is pi times diameter, which is pi times 2 x the radius. The area of the circle is the area contained by the circumference. The integral of kx is equal to one half k times x to the n+1 power, divided by n+1. Any 1/2 kx squared is the integral of kx. So, pi times 2 times r is the circumference, and the area is the integral of that, which is pi times r squared, because the 2 in the numerator and the denominator cancel each other out when you integrate.

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Today I realized that I need to keep a stash of band-aids in my car's glove box. I reached under the seat for something and sliced a finger on a sharp piece of metal. Fortunately I had a couple of clean paper napkins so I wrapped one around my finger and held it there until I got home.

Monocrom

Supporter
Today I realized that I need to keep a stash of band-aids in my car's glove box. I reached under the seat for something and sliced a finger on a sharp piece of metal. Fortunately I had a couple of clean paper napkins so I wrapped one around my finger and held it there until I got home.

Definitely a good idea. I keep a full First-Aid kit in my Workbag. When not by my side at work, my bag lives in my car.

Hooked on Fenix

Don't set a bright flashlight turned on high on top of a black backpack. I went night hiking and set my Nitecore E4K (on at the 1050 lumen high setting) on top of my Golite Pinnacle backpack. It sunk into the fabric a little, aiming the beam at the black and dyneema grid fabric. After a few seconds, the backpack started smoking. I took the light off immediately. The light didn't burn a hole through the pack but did leave a burn mark. I almost set my backpack on fire with my flashlight (at 25% maximum brightness).

greenpondmike

I learned the hard way...before you marry someone go ahead and put forth that ol ugly foot you've been hiding and be yourself. Get them angry just to have a sneak preview of what you're going to live with the rest of your life. If you can't handle it.....run!

PhotonWrangler

I recently bought a light that requires a 21700 cell. It didn't come with one so I borrowed the Fenix-branded 21700 from my trusty PD-36R and it didn't fit lengthwise in the new light. I checked the label on the cell and it said 21700, So I looked up the specs for a 21700 and fount that it's supposed to be 70mm long, however the Fenix cell comes in at 75mm. So I ordered an actual 21700 for my new light.

The Fenix-branded cell is beefy and lasts for a long time, however I now recall that the vendor mentioned that they were non-standard-ish. Now I know that it's the length. This should really be called a 21750 battery.

Last edited:

Jean-Luc Descarte

Learned the hard way this Monday that if you spend a year and a half off your bicycle, a basic 7km commute can become a grueling slog. Don't try to match your old rhythm, pace yourself according to what you can do at this moment.

On a very similar note, I also learned that flabby wheels are VERY demanding to pedal on. Always check your tires' pressure before leaving home, guys.