Things I've learned the hard way . . .(Part 2)

I learned the hard way that it's a good idea to check the area you're about to weed-eat before starting. I was making semicircles in the tall grass when I first saw the large mound of doggy doo. :eek: Unfortunately at that very instant, I was already spreading it at 8,000 rpm. You know when you see someone in the movies yelling - "NOOOOO!" in slow-motion? That was me, but I kept my mouth closed and it wasn't in slow-motion. I took about 30 shots to the chest and face. :green:

I turned off the weed-eater, walked over to my son and said - "Guess what I just did."

Sos24

Enlightened
I learned the hard way that it's a good idea to check the area you're about to weed-eat before starting. I was making semicircles in the tall grass when I first saw the large mound of doggy doo. :eek: Unfortunately at that very instant, I was already spreading it at 8,000 rpm. You know when you see someone in the movies yelling - "NOOOOO!" in slow-motion? That was me, but I kept my mouth closed and it wasn't in slow-motion. I took about 30 shots to the chest and face. :green:

I turned off the weed-eater, walked over to my son and said - "Guess what I just did."

:rofl: At least you remembered to close your mouth. So many times on movies, the actor has their mouth wide open at the moment something disgusting flies right into their face.

Poppy

Flashaholic

You were using a weed-eater?!
LOL. :whistle:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

Lol! OMG... I'm sure that was a miserable experience at the time, although funny in retrospect. Gads...

raggie33

*the raggedier*

In many cultures that is considered good luck

Poop in the face. How can you not laugh at that? :laughing:

Another thing I recently learned - Grass seed, which is expensive, has an expiration date. Two weeks back I planted an area with grass where the boys and I had removed a dead Rhododendron. Not seeing any sprouts I searched the net for grass seed expiration period. Then I checked the three bags I had. Use by 2008. Use by 2006. :awman:

Off to Home Depot for a fresh bag.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
When shopping for a pair of eyeglass frames, before deciding on a model, look at the hinge screws and make sure they go in from the top. I once had a pair of glasses where the screws went in from the bottom (WTH), causing a screw to eventually loosen up and fall out, never to be seen again. It's not bad if it happens while you're sitting at a desk here you have a fighting chance of finding it, but if you're outside and that screw falls out, it's gone. You'll have to find a piece of fine gauge wire to make an emergency repair.

scout24

Flashaholic
Photonwrangler- I keep a small spool of floral wire, maybe 10 feet, in my "to go" bag that I don't leave the house without for various reasons, including the very problem you mentioned. I've worn glasses since 3rd grade, on and off, and that exact scenario has happened more than once...

bykfixer

Flashaholic
When I get new frames I pull the tiny screw out, dab on E3000 and put it back in. Used to use super glue but E3000 is a wee bit easier to work with since it's a gel. Haven't lost a screw from my glasses in years.

And I aim my weed trimmer so that whatever flys off the string goes away from me. My dad showed me that trick after watching me cover myself with grass clippings while trimming his yard about 25 years ago. Carry it engine up on the right, trimmer head down to the left, swing machine in a clock-wise direction as debris flys away in a counter clockwise direction. If you start "cutting" in a counter clock-wise motion the debris pulls back towards you.

stanmog

Newly Enlightened
If you have a lot of tools, communication gear, handcuffs, etc. hooked or clipped on your belt, step away from the commode before pulling up your pants.

Reactions: DRW

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Good advice there ^^

Or put the lid down…… not always possible in public rest rooms though.

I have a medicine cabinet over a commode so before pulling stuff out I put the lid down.

Mrs Fixer prefers I put the sit down ring down after I stand and do my thing. No wet ring. Cool.

I told her while we were dating i said "both sit ring and lid go down in this 50/50 relationship because if I have to bend over so do you.

We even have kid training stickers on ours……

A8-D1-E105-0127-43-A9-90-E4-E9-C87347-F5-DD.jpg

Lid up

C77-A19-FC-0-FBD-42-AC-9-B86-E935-C50-F3437.jpg

Lid down

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Can't speak for Scout, but the fixes I mentioned were learned the hard way.

Dale Earnhardt once said "you can create 90% of your own good fortune or 100% of your own bad fortune".
I was in my mid 40's before realizing what he meant.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
What I learned the hard way was that some instructions are critical. Take the warning to close the top of your wheeled garbage can before moving it. You know the big ones that are tapered up and get bigger at the top? The lid is so big if you don't close the lid first and you go to push the can the lid is so big it drags on the ground. At this point you will step on said lid while pushing. This will stop all forwards momentum of the can but your inertia will keep you going and there's only one place your heading! On a side note they ain't easy to get out of when your face is smashed into the bottom and your shoulders are wedged against the sides. Seriously who designed these things?!