Things I've learned the hard way . . .(Part 2)

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Using a catalytic propane heater in a three person four season tent between two people in the winter will cost you a heater and a sleeping bag that burned and melted to it.

I use butane and candle lanterns hung from the tent ceiling for warmth now.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I learned that my digestive system is not a fan of sugar free candy containing what is called sugar alcohol. Sheesh, I ate all 5 fake Resses cups one evening and thought I'd need a diaper the next day. They come in bags of 5 (and not more) for a reason I suppose.

My system is ok with 1 or two, but who can stop at just 2 quarter sized Resses cups?

Splitrail

Newly Enlightened
What I learned the hard way was that some instructions are critical. Take the warning to close the top of your wheeled garbage can before moving it. You know the big ones that are tapered up and get bigger at the top? The lid is so big if you don't close the lid first and you go to push the can the lid is so big it drags on the ground. At this point you will step on said lid while pushing. This will stop all forwards momentum of the can but your inertia will keep you going and there's only one place your heading! On a side note they ain't easy to get out of when your face is smashed into the bottom and your shoulders are wedged against the sides. Seriously who designed these things?!
Video?

ledbetter

Enlightened
Don't force fasteners. On cars, bikes, stuff in the house. Now I'm finally patient enough to clean, lubricate, soak, and just come back to before I cause a bigger problem than the one I was trying to fix. How many screw ups before I finally learned??

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I learned that my digestive system is not a fan of sugar free candy containing what is called sugar alcohol. Sheesh, I ate all 5 fake Resses cups one evening and thought I'd need a diaper the next day. They come in bags of 5 (and not more) for a reason I suppose.

My system is ok with 1 or two, but who can stop at just 2 quarter sized Resses cups?
My dad learned that the hard way. I got him a pack of sugar free (sucralose) York peppermint patties. He just had a delicious porterhouse steak on our church men's retreat. He spent the next few hours vomitting and had diarrhea. It turns out sucralose is chlorinated sugar. Chlorine is poisonous so your body tries to expel it in any way it can. It's only sugar free because your body can't or won't absorb it.

Stay away from fat free chips containing olestra as well. Your bowels will be spared from expelling a type of grease that is hard to get off of everything.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
These are my lessons learned from over 40 years in EMS and the Fire Service, and over 35 years of teaching EMS (also Nurses, and Physicians)

I think you'll find most relate to everyday life/jobs also.

RWT1405's Rules of EMS

1) Practice does NOT make perfect, PERFECT practice makes perfect.
1.A) Practice until you get it PERFECT!
1.B) Then practice until you can't get it WRONG!

2) Training is learning the rules.
2.A) Experience is learning the exceptions.

3) Experience is a very cruel teacher! (Trust me!)

4) Just because you CAN do something, does NOT mean that you SHOULD!

5) The most important things are simple.

6) The simple things are ALWAYS hard.

7) If there is little to be gained, there is little to be lost.

8) If there is a lot to be gained, there is a lot to be lost.

9) Air goes in and out, blood goes round and round, ANY deviation is a PROBLEM!

Last, but not least!

10) Not everyone is cut out for EMS (or Medicine).
10.A) HOWEVER, Wawa needs good people, to make good hoagies, at 3am.

3_gun

Enlightened
The rule is typically the exception

Measure twice then let the guy at Lowes/DIY cut it

2 is 1 & 1 is none

An inch isn't always an inch ; a cup isn't always 8oz, a ton isn't always 2000lbs and a gallon isn't always 128oz

Last edited:
So true, for example:
How much does a pound of coffee weigh?
How many ounces are in a half gallon of ice cream?
How many ounces in a cup of cheese?

Depends on the type of cheese -
Soft cheese - 1 cup weighs six ounces.
Semi-hard cheese - 1 cup weighs four ounces.
Hard cheese - 1 cup weighs three ounces.

DAMMIT! I'm just trying to make a toasted cheese sammy, not figure out a math problem. :banghead:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Last week I had a frozen vegetarian dinner made by a company that caters to this market. I heated it up exactly per instructions and when I sat down to eat it, I noticed that it smelled slightly off. I couldn't put my finger on the aroma but I chalked it up to the mix of unusual ingredients and spices and ate it.

A few hours later I had a slight fever, chills, and then the stomach cramps set in. I was out of commission for over two days from severe cramps. I could have avoided that if I'd trusted my nose a little more in the first place.

Trust your nose. The nose knows, ya know.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Last week I had a frozen vegetarian dinner made by a company that caters to this market. I heated it up exactly per instructions and when I sat down to eat it, I noticed that it smelled slightly off. I couldn't put my finger on the aroma but I chalked it up to the mix of unusual ingredients and spices and ate it.

A few hours later I had a slight fever, chills, and then the stomach cramps set in. I was out of commission for over two days from severe cramps. I could have avoided that if I'd trusted my nose a little more in the first place.

Cows say that you should eat more chicken.
Cook it to 165 F. :)

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i think im immune to feed posing . comes from being poor and have to eat wht you have lol. i had it once as a kid at a day old bakery both me and mom had a pie or something

KD5XB

Enlightened

I did just this once with tacos from a "roach coach" in Laredo. Three days I was laid up in the sleeper while my co-drive drove his hours AND mine.

Next time we were in Laredo, here came the same guy and it was all I could do not to deck him. I'm sure those tacos had been on that truck too long.

Poppy

Flashaholic
i think im immune to feed posing . comes from being poor and have to eat wht you have lol. i had it once as a kid at a day old bakery both me and mom had a pie or something
There's something to be said about building an immune system, by exposing it to a variety of pathogens, I suppose. Cody Lundin, the bare foot guy on Dual Survival, noted that a bird or rodent drowned in his water barrel. He didn't remove it, and continued to drink the water. His theory was to build immunity to the bacteria.

A bit strange, but maybe there is something to it. Why do we northerners get dysentery when we drink the water in Mexico, but they don't?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Seems I'm a horrible judge of character. But mostly in one direction.... As in, I encounter someone and have a feeling that they're truly special and different from most folks. That they're worth knowing, worth hanging out with, worth being friends with. And about 25% of the time; I'm right. But that other 75% stinks. Thankfully I've learned to cut off toxic people at the knees and move on. (Obviously, I don't literally.) 😉