Things I've learned the hard way . . .(Part 2)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Watching unboxing videos on YouTube. Especially when it's not a box, but a blister pack. The content creator, always significantly younger than I am, uses large scissors on the pack.... But opens up the scissors completely or half way, and tries to use them like a knife. :ohgeez:

Watching unboxing videos on YouTube. Especially when it's not a box, but a blister pack. The content creator, always significantly younger than I am, uses large scissors on the pack.... But opens up the scissors completely or half way, and tries to use them like a knife. :ohgeez:
The additional suspense is what makes the video so entertaining.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I have a pair of small tin snips makes opening clam shell packaging a breeze. The hard plastic dulls my large shears
tin snips by far are the best way to go, but they out in the shed.

I typically use my money clip (utility knife blade). Lie it on a stable surface is a better idea than on your thigh. Some of those packages can be a real PIA to open up. Sometimes, I wonder how challenging it might be for some seniors to get the packaging open. Not all scissors are up to the challenge.

1656630468392.png

raggie33

*the raggedier*
true story as a boy scout we had old army tents they wasnt like modern tents i went to mess hall to eat. and sneaked some food out left in pockets woke up with a bunch of racoons in my tent

tin snips by far are the best way to go, but they out in the shed.

I typically use my money clip (utility knife blade). Lie it on a stable surface is a better idea than on your thigh. Some of those packages can be a real PIA to open up. Sometimes, I wonder how challenging it might be for some seniors to get the packaging open. Not all scissors are up to the challenge.

View attachment 29493

I see you position your big bills on the outside also.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Thankfully you didn't end up with rabies.
lol ive always had issues with racoons another time we was in the keys eating some crazy yummy seafood soup. we was eating outdoors racoons jumped on table. uncle tried to scare them off .they looked at uncle like screw you human lol. and even younger my freind had a raccoon as a pet thing scared me for some reason

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
I've always opened packages with my pocket knives and never had any accidents (mostly because I take all the precautions – cut away from yourself, use a hard surface, and so on), but blisters have always been a pain. The tin snips are an outstanding idea, and now I've written down what tool I'm getting next! :clap:

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Timing the euthanization of a beloved terminally-ill pet is one of the more gut-wrenching decisions in life. The information available is apt to be incomplete, balancing the intense pain of separation vs the steady pain of watching a pet's lingering wordless suffering is agonizing, one might start grasping at straws hoping for an improbable recovery or improvement, and the permanence of the act all make for a decision that one is apt to second-guess.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is human nature to second guess in these situations. I sure have done my share of feeling guilt making these decisions.. Don't kick yourself Idle, you did the right thing. Nobody likes to see our loved ones suffering. Think about all the good times you had together and smile

Timing the euthanization of a beloved terminally-ill pet is one of the more gut-wrenching decisions in life. The information available is apt to be incomplete, balancing the intense pain of separation vs the steady pain of watching a pet's lingering wordless suffering is agonizing, one might start grasping at straws hoping for an improbable recovery or improvement, and the permanence of the act all make for a decision that one is apt to second-guess.

Adopting a pet into the family has been aptly described as the beginning of a planned tragedy. It always ends in tears.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Don't kick yourself Idle, you did the right thing.
The difficulty is that the subconscious is at best a poor servant. The second-guessing fits into the bargaining stage of grief.

Adopting a pet into the family has been aptly described as the beginning of a planned tragedy.
Certainly when it comes to the common mammalian pets with their fast metabolisms leading to a design life of ~5 years. This can be doubled or tripled through sheltering the animal from the stresses of living by its wits outdoors, but the falloff steepens at a point with those last months of senescence coming on alarmingly fast.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
The smaller breeds can go for few more years. Kinda like the Energizer rabbit, we had a Chihuahua mix lived to 21. Although the last couple years she was total blind with no teeth. We spoon fed cream of wheat three times a day.. Yeah, that mean tempered little dog had a very good life indeed!