Things today's kids missed out on

Monocrom

Flashaholic
This post was deleted, the OP contacted me to say it was meant to be humorous.

Is it?

Norm

In an odd way.

Personally, I hope kids of future generations (especially young and impressionable girls) will indeed miss out on fashion magazines holding up rail thin and anorexic models as the ideal of beauty. I don't want my little niece growing up and thinking that guys are attracted to skeletons covered in a thin layer of flesh.

Norm

Retired Administrator
Fags Lolly (candy) Cigarettes, Dad would often buy me a pack when he bought his own smokes. Talk about teaching them early :(. Fortunately I was never a serious smoker, just an occasional social ciggy.

8734645264_f9c73475a6_n.jpg

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Fags Lolly (candy) Cigarettes, Dad would often buy me a pack when he bought his own smokes. Talk about teaching them early :(. Fortunately I was never a serious smoker, just an occasional social ciggy.

My uncle smoked all the time. As a very young kid, I used to beg him to let me have one. He did, but of course never let me light up.

I used to buy bubble gum cigarettes all the time as a kid. Each cig was good for a couple of "puffs" of powdered sugar "smoke." I was the coolest kid on the block. I think I smoked two real cigarettes in my Life. The taste was so disgusting and a pack so expensive that I never got into it. They still make bubble gum cigarettes.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
We have a kitchen drawer full of plastic bags. Zip lock, Glad and others. We have half a dozen different sizes and shapes. Freezer bags sit side by side with oven and microwaveable bags.

When I was a kid our school lunch included sandwiches that were wrapped in simple waxed paper. The bread was usually fresh because the bread man dropped it off at our door more than once a week. No matter how fresh it was, the sandwich was likely to be pretty dried out by the time we ate them. Everyone knew how to fold the wax paper to get the tightest possible seal.

Daniel

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Yeah, wax paper was a staple of school lunchboxes back then. It never worked as well as ziplock bags but it was way better than nothing, and it kept the schmutz off your food.

For some reason wax paper reminded me of carbon paper, another throwback. Wasn't carbon paper essentially wax paper with ink?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
For some reason wax paper reminded me of carbon paper, another throwback. Wasn't carbon paper essentially wax paper with ink?

I remember when I used to pay for a ton of purchases with postal money orders. (From catalogs. Not from online shops.)

The money orders came with a sheet of carbon paper in the middle and your copy on the bottom. I saved a ton of those carbon paper sheets from the money orders. Got them around here, somewhere. Nowadays you have to fill out a M.O. twice. The actual money order and the top portion too. Scumbags could choose to put a different name and address on the top portion than the actual M.O., then claim they paid for something when in reality they made out the important portion to a girlfriend and just pocketed the item someone sent them.

Another example of an old system being better than what replaced it.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Politics removed. Several posts deleted

Sorry about that. I thought we were discussing human nature there. Won't happen again. :)

So back on track....

Mi wife is 7 years older than I. My mother is 30 years holder than her. When we talk about things, we find that we have many points of reference in common. We all learned of politics, war, art and literature. When Mom quotes Robert Frost my wife and I recognize the reference and therefor the implications of that quote in context. This is surprising since we were raised in different parts of the country at different times.

It seems that kids now are not being given a standard education anymore. They may recognize Lady Gaga despite the outrageous outfits that disguise her and yet fail to understand the significance of why the pilgrims came to America, or the impact of the Great Potato Famine.

Yeah, that's not too light hearted, but it is something that they are missing.

Daniel

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use wax paper all the time, just for my woodworking hobby. The wax paper is great where you may have glue dripping out.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will also add, today's kids are house prisoners. Because the parent's who cannot parent properly for fear of loosing the kid at the slightest injury, would be insane to let them out of their sight for over 18.5 seconds (which is really too long).

Now, I don't think the goal of child services is to reunite kids with the parents, after even minor incidents. Legalized kid napping.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
That's easy! Spankings!

Some parents still believe in discipline.

One thing they definitely miss out on . . . Being told to leave if caught reading in a bookstore.

Along with that would be, having anyplace at all to sit in a bookstore (and plopping down on those black footstools doesn't count). And you can forget about eating or drinking inside of one either. I recall hiding in some out-of-the-way aisle at the old Barnes & Noble's that was on main street.

I remember when they started transitioning over to letting customers read, and putting in a couple of chairs. Nowadays, there's an entire cafe inside, along with rows of chairs for reading. Best part is, you can spend hours in there just reading; without buying anything. Though you do occasionally have to deal with a punk teenager who wasn't around during the transition and knows nothing about bookstore chair etiquette.

Hey, if you get up and are gone for longer than a minute, off at the other end of the bookstore; I don't care if you placed a small stack of books on the chair you were sitting in. Not your chair, and you don't get to reserve it with a stack of books that (ironically) also aren't your's.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Here's one ( for USA folks, anyway ) --

Every year, the DAV ( Disabled American Veterans ) organization
would mail us (and i presume everyone ELSE, too)

a couple of Tiny miniature Replicas of our car's Actual State License Plate !

You would attach one to yer' Keyring. This would help if they were lost.

On the back of the tiny replica plate, it said:
Finder deposit in any mailbox
Postage Guaranteed.
(DAV address listed next. I believe it was Cincinnati Ohio)

Then the DAV would Mail your Lost Keys back to you !

These were called " IdentoTags ".
Sadly, they were discontinued perhaps 40 years ago.

As a little boy, I always thought they were SO NEAT ! ! !

:)
_

Last edited:

pathalogical

Enlightened
Here's one ( for USA folks, anyway ) --

Every year, the DAV ( Disabled American Veterans ) organization
would mail us (and i presume everyone ELSE, too)

On the back of the tiny replica plate, it said:
Finder deposit in any mailbox
Postage Guaranteed.
(DAV address listed next. I believe it was Cincinnati Ohio)

Then the DAV would Mail your Lost Keys back to you !

These were called " IdentoTags ".
Sadly, they were discontinued perhaps 40 years ago.

As you little boy, I always thought they were SO NEAT ! ! !

:)
_

Here in Canada we get those tags from The War Amps. It very much in use here. Works exactly as you said if you lose your keys. http://www.waramps.ca/keytags.html I think they get your name info from the drivers licence office as not all family members get a mailing.

Norm

Retired Administrator

It also helps the finder match the found keys to the correct car :shakehead

All the similar tags I've seen here in Australia have an unrelated code to the vehicle registration, the keys go back to the organisation, they check the code on their data base and return the keys :)

Norm