Thor 15MCP arrived....details and HID mod!

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dolby -

Looks like you copied the URL from the address field while looking at the .jpg.

Try right clicking on the image, select the properities, copy the address from there, then use that as the image address facilitating the post "Image" function.

paulr

Flashaholic
Is there a 100 watt HID mod feasible? If the original bulb was 100 watts, might as well make the mod use at least as much power, if parts are available.

lotsalumens

Enlightened
Finding the right parts can be tricky. Been looking myself for a 12v ballast and bulb in that range or higher. I thought the type of ballast used in the modern "sun guns" that video crews use would be ideal, but I don't know where they come from.

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my 15 mcp thor today.

the reflector is not as nice - as shiny as
the reflector in the 10 mcp thor I modded
and gave to my mom.

I have both sitting right in front of me.

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
the hid blitz 9.5 inch reflector is still the biggest and the baddest.
the 15 mcp thor has a 8.75 inch reflector.

the 10 mcp thor has a 6.75 inch reflector.

the red led quit blinking - I wonder if this means it is charged ?

lotsalumens

Enlightened
Mark,

How do the beams compare when seen side by side? The 15mcp seems to have a very tight hot spot in the very center, even with the stock bulb.

cfb

Dolby

Newly Enlightened
Resized Photos. I didn't realize there was a 800x800 size limit.

Thanks 3rd Shift!

Let's try this again. Here's a comparison of the 10MCP vs the 15MCP spot in a dark room against a white wall (actually very pale blue)at 14 feet. There really isn't much difference in size or brightness. I live in an urban area so I have to figure out someplace to do beamshots at long distances.

10vs15Thor3.jpg

Beamshots10vs15MCPStock3.jpg

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahhhh!!!!!! Resize before the mods are all over you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great pics though. Thank you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

lotsalumens

Enlightened
Thanks for the photos!

The one on the right appears brighter to me, but it looks like your camera ccd is maxing out so that instead of showing the hotspot in the center, it is creating a white circle over the entire center of the beam (look closely at the center on the right. On an lcd monitor you can see it more if you move vertically off axis..i.e. tilt the monitor way up). I did a comparison like this in another thread a while ago, and I found that I had to manually crank the camera exposure way down to the point that both looked dim. The auto exposure tended to blow out the highlights which is common in digital cameras.

cfb

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed on the camera maxing out, but it is tighter, look at the side spill that isn't maxed out. It's tighter/smaller/cleaner. We'll need more confirmation but looks like the extra diamter of the reflector matters on the Thors.

lotsalumens

Enlightened
Oh I definitely agree with that. Mine has a really tight and intense hotspot in the center which is what must give it such good throw. It seems to be more of a pin spot than the 10mcp.

cfb

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really believed I was getting a 11 inch reflector with the 15 mcp thor - oh well

the hot spot on my mom's hid thor is a lot smaller.

lotsalumens

Enlightened
I wonder if that is because the HID bulb is smaller and has better focus (??).

Think you'll try out your DL50 in this thing Mark? Even if it's not a permanent install you could still try sticking the bulb in the reflector to do a quick comparison to your other Thor.

cfb

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm. Ok, so if the HID has a smaller beam on the 10mcp (cool), then in the 15 it should be even smaller too.

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
My moms hid thor has a 12 volt 9 watt cfl mounted verticially thru a hole I cut in the bottom - front of the
thor reflector.

her hid thor does not have a perfect beam but it still blows away the stock 15 mcp thor.

yes I will at least try the dl50 in the 15 mcp thor but
I think I want a 25/50 watt hid vector - the smaller ballast would fit inside - stealth.

I have 2 4.5 inch reflectors maybe I will turn the 15 mcp thor into a dual beam 35 watt(70 watt) light.

with both bulbs burning It would draw less power and run longer than the 100 watt bulb in the 10 mcp thor on the 7 amp sla.

2 dl35's at 3600 bulb lumens each - 7200 lumens.

so I should get 5500 lumens or so out the front.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
100 watt hid?!?!?
Guys, that would light up a large living room rather nicely. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/awman.gif now I'm wanting one too.
Hey, I need links to ballasts and bulbs for the bigger hid mods for this 15mc thor. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

lotsalumens

Enlightened
Once again this is through double paned wndow glass...

beamshot_4.jpg

Has anyone else done an HID mod to this light yet? I'd love to see some beamshots in a darker area!

cfb

liteglow

Enlightened
i have done a HID mod to a 12volt halogen lamp... almost the same one as you got there.. but only the halv of size !
So the battery i have taped on the outside of the flashlight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif ...