Thor Batteries- damaged by the cold?

SquatchMobile

Newly Enlightened
Hey all,

Long time lurker, first time poster, y'all can call me Sarge. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I've owned two 3.5 mcp Thors and they've both quit taking a charge in the middle of winter. I do a lot of recharging in my truck, so they're out in the cold for extended periods sometimes. Will this kill the batteries? I'm pretty new to this kind of stuff.

I dug into the first one to see what kind of batteries it took, and it looks like changing them would be pretty involved. Would it be less hassle to just buy a new one and make sure it's kept warm?

Thanks!

-Sarge

SquatchMobile

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
NewBie said:
If they are in the cold, they should be charged up.

Even car batteries freeze if not charged.

Are these Cyclops "Thors" or are they the Harbor Freight version (orange).

[/ QUOTE ]

Cyclops, the older grey ones. Also, I try not to run them dead between charging.

Thanks!

-sarge

Wolf

Newly Enlightened
SLA batts really dont hold up well in cold if they are dead, with a full charge they have a better chance, but not by much, leave a low charge on it once and let it freeze and it wont hold a charge at all, I have had to replace my SLA in my jump-box a few times due to it getting left out in work trucks during the winter

Wolf

Newly Enlightened
oh yeah the reason for the SLA batts to be damaged by the cold is the more it is in a state of discharge the more water is in the cells, freezing of the water pushes the plates apart causeing the cell not to charge anymore (least this is sorta what I was told when I was getting a new SLA for my box)

java_man

Newly Enlightened
If they are charged, they wont freeze , unless your in siberia /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

batterycharge4sp.jpg

heat is a bigger threat than the cold /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Draco_Americanus

Enlightened
Number 1 moral of this story is, (drum roll please) Never leave a lead acid battery in a discharged state, regardless of temprature. They will freeze if cold, or sulfate if warm, any of the above = death to the battery.

Draco_Americanus

Enlightened
another factor in this is IMHO the Thor comes with a very low quality battery to begin with. China Battery is about as low as one can go and still have something one can call a battery.

*Retired*
I don't know though Draco.

Just from runtime tests, the Johnlite and CASIL cells in the Thor came very close to the high capacity Panasonic cells that are used in UPS backup systems. Out of quite a number, only B&B Battery HR9-12 showed any real sort of a lead, and it wasn't much.

I also get nearly daily emails regarding Chinese battery improvements, and with all their resources, it won't take long before they will be market leaders.

Draco_Americanus

Enlightened
I don't question the run time, They do very well when new. it's their life span that seems to be what is shorter.

I wish my ups systems came with panasonic batteries, I got stuck with the china battery(CB) brand, after 4 years they are junk. I have some panasonic batteries that are around 10 years old that still have some life to them.
My place of work uses Power Sonic batteries a lot and over the last few years they have gotten a bit worse when it comes to there life span, they only have a rated life of 4 years and are the versions made in china. We rarely get 4 years of service from them and some don't even pass inital testing when new.

Latest posts