Wurkkos

Thoughts on Surefire E1L outdoorsman?

roguesw

i have read of several switch failures in this forum regarding the switches on the E1L, has there been a change in design?
i have an e20 and e2e both fitted with clickie switches, both have been used almost everyday for the last 3 years and the clickies are still working,
makes me wonder why switches are failing suddenly

BBL

Kal El in SLO said:
really?? mine is working great...i guess i've only had it for a short while.
my switch lived 2 hours :) ... that doesnt mean every switch fails. i would estimate 'only' 20-30%

roguesw said:
i have read of several switch failures in this forum regarding the switches on the E1L, has there been a change in design?
actually, i expected to get an upgraded switch with my '2006 E1L' - after all, the Z57 exist for a few years already. enough time to get that thing working.

GadgetTravel

Welcome to the forum by the way. LOTS of people here have E1Ls, they are very popular lights here. I like mine a lot. It will out throw a KL4 but put out MUCH less light than the KL4. I have a diffuser and a two stage tailcap on mine which makes it a wonderfully flexible two stage light that can give either flood or spill. It is a very good, flexible, high quality light. Also it works quite well with rechargeable batteries. Having said all of that, I may prefer the E1e incandescent version over the E1L, but both are great lights and you can convert the E1L to an E1e by just getting a bezel and bulb from someone like Lighthound.

cobra-ak

E2L for a work light. no incan very white LED squarish beam but it will light up your life.

warpdrive

I have the E1L and L4. I love both, the E1L is a little jewel of a light, feels like a precision tool that can take lots of abuse. The size is perfect for a everywhere pocket light.

Manzerick

the E1L has crazy throw for a little guy. The flood is not a wide as the Q3 but still usable. I like the Q3 for indoors and the E1l for outside (hence it is names outdoorsman lol)

Jedi Knife

GadgetTravel said:
Welcome to the forum by the way. LOTS of people here have E1Ls, they are very popular lights here. I like mine a lot. It will out throw a KL4 but put out MUCH less light than the KL4. I have a diffuser and a two stage tailcap on mine which makes it a wonderfully flexible two stage light that can give either flood or spill. It is a very good, flexible, high quality light. Also it works quite well with rechargeable batteries. Having said all of that, I may prefer the E1e incandescent version over the E1L, but both are great lights and you can convert the E1L to an E1e by just getting a bezel and bulb from someone like Lighthound.

Thanks for the welcome, GT. I've had to re-register a time or two; the amount of useful information here is always amazing!

JK

whorton5

I have this irrational urge to buy a L1, but am torn between this and an E1L for low light needs. Is there someone out there who owns both? Please give me your thoughts. The L1 is a little more money and a little dimmer on high according to the specs, but seems more versatile.

Planterz

I don't think an E1L would work well for "low light needs". The spot is very tight and would probably blind you a bit from reflected light. For "low light needs" I find a flood works better, or at least a "regular" flashlight beam with sidespill.

A KL4 head with a McE2S tail cap all on a E1L or Aleph body running off a 3.7V Li-Ion would make a small and wonderfully useful light. You can buy the individual head/body parts from lighthound, but you'd have to go to the shoppe to get the tail switch. Kinda pricey though, going with this type of arrangement (I'd simply stick with a Fire-Fly III or similar).

The E1L/KL1 is a nice little light for throwing a beam a long way. Very impressive for its size. But IMO its beam is too specific for EDC use (I prefer a jack-of-all-trades "regular" beam) unless you specifically want a light for throwing. Which is why many people suggest the F04 Beamshaper.

In any case I'd personally go with a VG FB1 body for deep, bezel-down carry.

mykall

whorton5 said:
I have this irrational urge to buy a L1, but am torn between this and an E1L for low light needs. Is there someone out there who owns both? Please give me your thoughts. The L1 is a little more money and a little dimmer on high according to the specs, but seems more versatile.

I don't own both, but considered both. I went with the E1L. OOTB you could make the arguement that the L1 is more versatile were it not for the fact that the E1L is an E1e with an KL1 head. The KL1 head can be used on a variety of powerpacks from 1 to 3 CR's and 1 or 2 Li-ions. The L1 cannot use a 3.7 V Li-ion. However OOTB the L1 has 2 light levels.

As mentioned, if you purchase an McE2s from McGizmo you would have a
2 stage E1L with your choice of resistor value for the low level. Not quite as sophisticated as the regulated low of the L1 but much simpler. I have an 30 ohm in my McE2S and I have verified 12 hours runtime on low with a
protected Li-ion. Remember that protected Li-ions don't provide the runtime of a regular CR123 because they cut off when a certain voltage is reached to protect the batt. This means that if you were using SF123's your runtime would be even longer...maybe double ( I have not verified this).

The choice is yours, but I hope this provides some food for thought.

MB

firefly99

Fringe said:
Great little light. I recomend it fully, but would not get it without the F04 beam shaper for SF, this turns the throwy beam to a nice diffused flood.

Fringe had hit the nail on the head. Totally agreed.
Just want to add, very surprise the tiny E1L is a throw monster.

Constant - on both E1L & E1E+KL1 for several minutes, E1L does get toasty or hotter than a E1E+KL1.

firefly99

whorton5 said:

For your low light needs, get the L1. The E1L may be too bright for this purpose even with F04 diffuser.

Lumatic

I highly recommend the E1L+F04 diffuser (fits perfect in the velcro/nylon pouch that comes with it). Got mine 2 months ago and had the clicky switch die within a half hour of opening it. Took Surefire about a week and a half to send replacement. Here's a post I did a while back explaining how I fixed my clicky switch (which is still going strong 2 months later). Took me 15 minutes from start to finish to fix. Hope this helps.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/112476

Ice

I just wanted to mention that there is an old and a new version of the KL1 LED head (the head of the E1L). The new one has a very tight beam and impressive throw, but hardly any flood!!! (The new one is the one with a slightly quadratic hotspot!)
As for me, I relly like that tight hotspot (especially in such a small package)!

Latest posts