Three LED Lanterns Compared (Rayovac, Sylvania, Energizer)

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
You can mod the Sylvania with Cree, you'll get twice the output with the same run time.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2824704&postcount=214
current usage on high after upgrading to a P4 cree went from 350ma to 450 ma which is about 28% higher current so runtime would be reduced by a like amount. with a Q5 I got 440ma usage. I replaced the R5 resistor with a 70 ohm one dropping the current from stock 350/75, upgraded ~450/75 to 250/28ma (these are high/low settings). I compared a Q5 lantern at 250ma to a P4 at about 450 ma and the P4 is brighter but not by very much, in use they would be close to the same but runtimes I estimate as following:
stock 350ma/75ma alkaline 7/30
P4 450ma/75ma alkaline 5/30
Q5 250ma/28ma alkaline 10/100
these are estimates on nimh high output runtimes should increase slightly and low output runtimes decrease due to alkalines losing runtime at increasing current levels.

biker1

Enlightened
Formerly from NYC - Still Ruled by Commi Criminal
I was looking around for the Ray-O-Vac 3-4?W Lantern and saw this.
Looks like an upgrade @ 6?W (as per Ray-o-Vac) w/ Cree XRE LED's, to the mentioned 3-4W model in this thread >>

Remington

RM4DLN.ashx
Remington 300 Lumen 6W LED Lantern

The harshest hunting environments calls for high-tech performance.

Model: RM4DLN
Features:

• High Performance 300 Lumen Cree XRE LED
  • 2 Modes: High Beam and Low Beam
  • Water Resistant
  • Convenient Carry Handle
  • Flip Out Metal Hang Hook
  • 150 Battery Run Time on Low Mode, 80 Hours on High Mode
Runs on 4 D alkaline batteries

Approx. price range - $42 - $49

The Ray-O-Vac lantern mentioned in post #1 still seems like a better deal at about 1/2 the price

Last edited:

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was looking around for the Ray-O-Vac 3-4?W Lantern and saw this.
Looks like an upgrade @ 6?W (as per Ray-o-Vac) w/ Cree XRE LED's, to the mentioned 3-4W model in this thread >>

Remington

RM4DLN.ashx
Remington 300 Lumen 6W LED Lantern

The harshest hunting environments calls for high-tech performance.

Model: RM4DLN
Features:

• High Performance 300 Lumen Cree XRE LED
  • 2 Modes: High Beam and Low Beam
  • Water Resistant
  • Convenient Carry Handle
  • Flip Out Metal Hang Hook
  • 150 Battery Run Time on Low Mode, 80 Hours on High Mode
Runs on 4 D alkaline batteries

Approx. price range - $42 - $49

The Ray-O-Vac lantern mentioned in post #1 still seems like a better deal at about 1/2 the price

Nice looking lantern, biker1. Interesting, too, that I see it's available through Home Depot. I'll have to take a look and see if our local store carries it (of course, it's listed at the higher end of the price range there). I'd really like to see this one in action, especially given the 6W spec.

Not that it really matters, but the Home Depot site lists the lantern as 14.5 inches tall. First, I wonder if that's an accurate height (as listed only on the Home Depot site). I wonder if the listed height includes the handle as extended or if it's bottom to top of actual lantern body...(?).

The FlashlightZ site actually shows a few more photo views and has some reviews (semi-helpful reviews, but nothing as helpful as you would generally read on CPF).

http://www.flashlightz.com/product.php?product=172822

Last edited:

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Found this "relative size" pic of the Remington 300 Lumen 6W LED Lantern on Amazon.com. Looks like the lantern itself would be about 9 or 10 inches tall. The Home Depot spec showing it as 14.5 inches is obviously including the handle as extended.

Some of the reviewers there describe the light from this lantern as harsh. I'd believe that, based on my experience with the Rayovac lantern I have (reviewed earlier in the thread -- Rayovac Sportsman Xtreme LED Lantern). In some situations, harshness doesn't matter that much as long as you're getting good area lighting, but in certain use situations the harshness is a visual pain (just my take). And I'd still like to see this one and check its performance personally. ;)

51PScK48bBL.jpg

biker1

Enlightened
Formerly from NYC - Still Ruled by Commi Criminal
It appears that the specs are all over the place, depending whose ad we're looking at. That size comparisonn is very helpful. Thanks for finding it ;)

I don't understand one thing though -

- The 6 W lantern (Remington) takes 6 'D' cells, hence 6W :duh2: BUT the run time and lumen output are the same as the 3-4W (Sportsman) Ray-O-Vac.
What is the advantage of the 4 cell lantern if the specs are the same as the 3 cell version? Unless the Specs are not the same, and were misprinted, as in the 3W or 4W lantern.
I can always call Ray-O-Vac. I can do that later on as I gotta run.

The 6W model uses Cree's XREs. I don't know if the 3-4W? model does. Edit > No. uses Nichias

Last edited:

cgeb

Newly Enlightened
Rayovac Sportsman on amazon for $25 with free shipping. Thats where I got mine. Can't beat it for the price.