Throw, Flood or mix what do you like?

5.0Trunk

5.0Trunk

Enlightened
Flood and throw combined as in my latest light ;) I can use it up close with out a diffuser and it will throw some 800 ft plus, I'm happy :D

OK Titan, Spill the beans.....What light do you have? :)

TITAN1833

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK Titan, Spill the beans.....What light do you have? :)
Since you asked the Sunlite 16WFP I have the smaller thrower too, which BTW is just a tad better than the DBS I think what puts people of these lights is they aint pretty! but hey! neither is the pound coin but it's useful sometimes ;)

C

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have a whole lot of use for throwers, and if I did I'd have a dedicated 18650 one, not try to make AAA or other small EDC try to do something its not good at.

Best general purpose beam I've seen is the Ti Titan. Spill has about a 80deg spill angle (typical is 45 to 65deg). There is a usefull hotspot with an ultra smooth transition to the spill. Mine had a good tint too. But sold it off because of the CR2 non rechargable thing.

2m3qlbn.jpg

TITAN1833

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have a whole lot of use for throwers, and if I did I'd have a dedicated 18650 one, not try to make AAA or other small EDC try to do something its not good at.

Best general purpose beam I've seen is the Ti Titan. Spill has about a 80deg spill angle (typical is 45 to 65deg). There is a usefull hotspot with an ultra smooth transition to the spill. Mine had a good tint too. But sold it off because of the CR2 non rechargable thing.

2m3qlbn.jpg
well from what I have seen you may want to add the Ra and LF3XT to that for having great beam profile ;)

C

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
well from what I have seen you may want to add the Ra and LF3XT to that for having great beam profile ;)

Ra has a good mix, but spill angle is less that 60deg and the LF3XT is even less. The original HDS EDC had a spill angle of 63 deg. I like the Ra but I'm still not a big fan of deep reflectors.

bigchelis

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
At least one dedicated thrower aspheric type and a dedicated flood type P7 Maglight. You got to have both and some in between too.:twothumbs

Patriot

Patriot

Flashaholic
It depends on the light and application but one thing I like about HID's is that they provide a lot of both. It's neat to have lights that can throw 600+ yards, light up a living room, or provide enough spill light at the edge of the beam for nearly any task. Adding a diffuser scatters those 3000-10,000 lumens in every direction making the light even more flexible.

jhc37013

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
For EDC I like a good balance leaning towards more throw the Fenix P3D/PD30 serves me well. So does a PD20 for that matter.

justlux

justlux

Newly Enlightened
I like a good mix between both for general use.

Ryanrpm

Ryanrpm

Enlightened
My preference is a mix. What ratio? I prefer a highly intense hotspot, with a super bright and wide corona that is about 60% the brightness of the hotspot.:naughty:

I know that will require a high output light to achieve that kind of brightness...but many of our quad emitter lights now can do that.

However, there are only a couple of the bright spill lights that have that intense hotspot I was talking about.:cool:

D

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Back when I was a boy, it was all about the WOW factor, for which only throw would do. The only thing that mattered was the ability to light up either a street sign still much too far away to read or the side of a distant house occupied by people who didn't know me. Over time, however, my throwers have gradually turned into mostly dust gatherers or gifts as I've actually found little use for them in my usual environs.

Although it's probably irrational, I've always hated floody beams without useful hotspots.

What have become the most useful lights for me, and what I now prefer after a lot of searching and experimenting, are P4's driven by 10440's in the Peak Baltic which has a perfect combination of a big hotspot and a very generous spill for close-in work, and P4's driven by 14500's in the Peak Pacific which has a really great mix of throw and flood for the most common outdoor tasks I run into.

bullettproof

bullettproof

Enlightened
I like Flood and Throw thats why Im starting to get in to HID's more.

Wiggle

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flood with just enough throw to get a little distance. I find that for my purposes (walking, biking, working indoors) a floodier light is much more useful. For this reason I find myself using my MC-E equipped L2 (very floody) or Q3 5A modded TR801 (flood with mild throw) most often. My other P60 drop-ins are nice but I find that the tight spot is not terribly useful for my applications and that a smooth continuous beam is much nicer. As well, the MC-E is 2-level and on it's higher level it is still throwing enough lux into the center that I can see far off objects which is the best of both worlds for me.

gollum

gollum

Enlightened
I think the solution is ....

be true to your flashaholism and

carry at least 3 lights all the time ...
a thrower a floody and a back-up :cool:

oh hang on ...:thinking:

a thrower and a back-up thrower
a floody and its back-up
and an in between all rounder ....

oops hang on ... what about the favourite edc's aswell
and the latest purchase and keychain and neck carry ...
so that means at least 7-8 lights to walk to the car or check the front gate

:crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup:it's not JUST ME is it ???
please chime in and help me out here

I'm not the only one doing this ...I know its not just me?
:poke::tinfoil: