ThruNite Catapult V2 (SST-50) Updated Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, and more!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
selfbuilt,..hope you don't mind I trimmed your quote,
to highlight a very important statement.
Your statement holds alot of gravity from all your testing & comparisons.
No problem ... but I should qualify that to say the Eagletac M2C4 is pretty close behind in overall output (when also run on 2x18650).

Hard to say by how much - my lightbox and ceiling bounce show these two as roughly equivalent on 2x18650, but I know the wider spill and lower throw of the M2C4 is giving it an advantage in both these testing paradigms. Thrower lights (like the V2) are always slightly unreported by both methods.

Last edited:

PayBack

Enlightened
I wonder if you could get the V1 Bezel on the V2... the V1 Bezel looks like part of the light, the V2 SS one looks like it's a bit tacked on the end.

No Bezel at all would be even better... I don't suppose it's removable?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I wonder if you could get the V1 Bezel on the V2... the V1 Bezel looks like part of the light, the V2 SS one looks like it's a bit tacked on the end.
No Bezel at all would be even better... I don't suppose it's removable?
Actually, you can swap bezels between the V1 and V2 versions of the light - the threading diameter is the same. :)

But you do need to have something on there - it holds the lens in place. I suppose you could always file down the crenelations if you object to it that much, but then you'd have bare aluminum showing. Personally, I like these sort of low profile bezels - you can tell if the light is on when standing upside down, and aren't sharp enough to catch on anything.

PayBack

Enlightened
Actually, you can swap bezels between the V1 and V2 versions of the light - the threading diameter is the same. :)

But you do need to have something on there - it holds the lens in place. I suppose you could always file down the crenelations if you object to it that much, but then you'd have bare aluminum showing. Personally, I like these sort of low profile bezels - you can tell if the light is on when standing upside down, and aren't sharp enough to catch on anything.

I discovered you need the bezel when I later looked at the pics and saw on the inside they go right down to the lens... however the fact the V1 bezel fits the V2 is good news, thanks. :)

I've never left a light on when placing it lens down on a table, so I'm sure an expert light reviewer like yourself wouldn't have either! (ok just to clarify, that expert bit was genuine and not sarcasm, as the first thing I do when I see a promising light is look for a selfbuilt review).

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
UPDATE: Some additional long-distance beamshots, to show you how the light compares to others in its class.

Please see my recent 100-yard Outdoor Beamshot review for more details (and additional lights).

Outdoor-JulyDaylight.jpg

CatV2-M1X-M2XC4.gif

CatV2-SR90Lo-SR90Hi.gif

tedsm

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered the V2. Is it acceptable to run this light on 2xIMR18650.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I just ordered the V2. Is it acceptable to run this light on 2xIMR18650.
Don't see why not ... but if they are unprotected cells, remember to top them up frequently. :caution:

Since the light is fully regulated until the protection circuit is tripped (on my protected 18650s), this means that by the the time you see a decline in output on unprotected 18650s, you have already passed the point of safety for recharging the cells. This is the risk with all unprotected cells - if discharged too far, it's dangerous to try and recharge them.

tedsm

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for your reply. Your in depth review on the V2 was the catalyst behind me buying the Catapult. Is there any advantage in run time, lumens etc to using IMR18650 over the AW18650-26? Thanks

workingmids

Newly Enlightened
Just wanted to say thank you to Selfbuilt for his objective and comprehensive reviews, CPF moderators and members for their enthusiastic, yet professional comments.

Though I've been using a Streamlight SL20 since for nearly two decades at work, and hoping they'd update it in a more timely manner as they did with their Strion, the Thrunite Catapult V2 fills the void nicely; and had I not stumbled across CPF and Selfbuilt's stellar posting, it is unlikely I would have been so enlightened.

Many thanks!
grinser2.gif

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Thank you for your reply. Your in depth review on the V2 was the catalyst behind me buying the Catapult. Is there any advantage in run time, lumens etc to using IMR18650 over the AW18650-26? Thanks
The real advantage to IMR is in heavy drain devices. A regular Li-ion should never be completely discharged faster than 3C (i.e. drained in 20mins). Iideally, you should stay below 2C (i.e. 30 mins) for long-term durability. IMR can handle much higher discharge rates, and are thus well suited to high-power incans, or heavily driven small lights (e.g. IMR16340 in the MC-E Dmini VX Ultra).

Since the Catapult doesn't drain 18650s that quickly, IMR isn't necessary. Higher capacity protected cells are really your best bet for runtime (directly proportional to capacity).

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Add me to the list of CPF'ers who purchased this light because of THIS review.
I have had this light for a month or so and its a ton of fun. Still cant get over how bright it is. Thanks for all your work!!

-Bobby

Oh, and I may be one of the few users who opted for the OP reflector, and the beam is just perfect and it still throws like crazy! The tint is also just fantastic!

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Just wanted to say thank you to Selfbuilt for his objective and comprehensive reviews, CPF moderators and members for their enthusiastic, yet professional comments.

Thanks for the spot on review.

Add me to the list of CPF'ers who purchased this light because of THIS review.
I have had this light for a month or so and its a ton of fun. Still cant get over how bright it is. Thanks for all your work!!!
Glad you've all enjoyed the review (and the light).

It is a very solid choice - in more ways than one. No arguing with the output and quality of the beam, top-of-class even with the smooth reflector. Personally, my aesthetic build preference is typically something more like the JetBeam M1X, but the Catapult looks like the body walls would survive tank crushing. :rolleyes:

marinesoup

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to all with regards to their input and insight into this terrific light.
I too would have never bought this light or any of the others that I have purchased recently had it not been for all the readers and reviewers in this forum.