Thrunite, eagletac, zebralight or sunwayman?

Mendel272

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a very small edc, preferably with an xm-l engine. I would like to be able to take it close to 300 (280+) lumens otf on turbo, and hold at around 100 (70-120) for as long as possible. My only other preference is maximum shelf life. It does me no good if when I finally need it, the battery is dead.

i've narrowed it down, I think, to an eagletac d25c ti, a thrunite 1A, a sunwayman v11r, or a zebralight sc52.
i prefer something I can run with an enerloop, but I'd be ok with something in a cr123.

i like the idea of the magnetic twisting brightness adjustor, but I've heard that the v11r suffers from parasitic drain. So of my above options, which should I buy? Am I missing something better than all of these in the sub-100$ range?

thanks

Mendel272

Newly Enlightened
I gotta add the jetbeam rrt01 to my list. I need some help marrowing options...these all seem to fit the bill. Anyone have a compelling reason for one over the others?

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
SC52 easy to me.

The light is a battery sipping beast and a nice carry with simple interface to me.

cyclesport

Enlightened
I have the lights you're listing and all are capable of your max/turbo needs but some are better at runtime than others. Since you have a mix of single cell AA and CR123 lights and your chief concern is functioning when needed just make sure you use lithium primaries (non-rechargable) for when the light will be dormant for long periods and/or extreme cold temps.

The biggest battery mizers you have listed are the SC52, D25C, and TN 1A. You'd have to check selfbuilt or another CPF reviewer to see precise runtimes on each but all 3 offer cutting edge runtimes for production lights. You may have a preference as to UI and beam type but these 3 lights are the most power efficient.

The mag control ring lights are great small EDC lights but as you have read, there is a parsitic drain to these. It's very minimal for everyday use, but if your storing a light/battery combo for long periods and expect it to work when needed, stay with other type UI's...mechanical clickys and twisties are best. *the ZL SC52 is a new light for me and although run times and output are cutting edge, the electronic switch has some minor drain, but I haven't had it long enough to really know if the drain is a factor in long term storage.

Mendel272

Newly Enlightened
Thanks
this is the kind of input I'm looking for. Between these three, then, which are throwier and which are floodier?

I have the lights you're listing and all are capable of your max/turbo needs but some are better at runtime than others. Since you have a mix of single cell AA and CR123 lights and your chief concern is functioning when needed just make sure you use lithium primaries (non-rechargable) for when the light will be dormant for long periods and/or extreme cold temps.

The biggest battery mizers you have listed are the SC52, D25C, and TN 1A. You'd have to check selfbuilt or another CPF reviewer to see precise runtimes on each but all 3 offer cutting edge runtimes for production lights. You may have a preference as to UI and beam type but these 3 lights are the most power efficient.

The mag control ring lights are great small EDC lights but as you have read, there is a parsitic drain to these. It's very minimal for everyday use, but if your storing a light/battery combo for long periods and expect it to work when needed, stay with other type UI's...mechanical clickys and twisties are best. *the ZL SC52 is a new light for me and although run times and output are cutting edge, the electronic switch has some minor drain, but I haven't had it long enough to really know if the drain is a factor in long term storage.

cyclesport

Enlightened
Thanks
this is the kind of input I'm looking for. Between these three, then, which are throwier and which are floodier?

The large die size of the XM-L emitter combined w/the very small head size of these lights render all of these primarily floody EDC lights. This is really a desirable trait since most agree that floody beams are the most useful for everyday tasks.

That said...the TN Neutron 1A with it's deep reflecter will throw a little further than the others with a much narrower (and brighter) spill beam. It's a T6 binned light and is a much cooler tint than the other two as well. The downside with this light is it's length at over 4"...much longer than the others, and quite long for a single AA.

The D52C is second in throw just through sheer brute power (this light is capable of a searing 770 lumens with 16340 Li-ions for short periods and goes out of regulation into direct drive), and also starts getting very hot on 3.7v within 30sec. on max power...even on 3v primaries it can hit 450 lumens. It has a tighter hotspot than the other two with a very large spill.

The last is the SC52 which is mostly flood. It is probably the most sophisticated UI and driver, (and newest) light among the three w/a class leading 280 lumens on just AA's (can hit 500 lumens for 1 min. w/14500's). It's driver fully supports both AA's and Li-ions. A similer beam pattern to the D25C w/a more diffuse hotspot and a hugh spill lighting up the whole room.

*Worth mentioning is that all three of these lights also have very useful true moonlight modes in the sub 1 lumen to 2/3 lumen range making trips to the bathroom in a dark house or campsite easy without destroying your night vision or disturbing companions.

The D25C and SC52 are really outstanding EDC choices and these are currently two of the best EDC lights out there. It really boils down to battery preference...AA or CR123's.

Last edited:

naiter

Newly Enlightened
cyclesport, i couldn't have said it better myself. Geat info!

Mendel,
to add my 2cents...
just make sure you find the best clip/carry fit for you, and best UI for you. for me moonlight is a must have. if your REALLY need throw, with the LED technology right now your gona sacrafice alot...

invest in rechargeable batteries, and Top off often, and you'll have less occasion where the light it is dead. and get more use overall out of it when not worrying about using precious mAh's. Or even carry a backup battery in a backpack (if you carry a bag)

I have a D25A, running on a 14500 li ion it has only two modes. a very useful low mode, which is closer to a medium level(??lm), and direct drive(600-700+lm) I carry more than one (usually 3), all my others have moonlight modes, otherwise i'd run eneloops in the D25A making it much less "WOW"ing...
the D25A is the on i pull out when people are around, cuz the size to brightness ratio is outstanding ;) plus the UI with two only modes is very nice.

I also carry the Olight S10 - slightly green tint, but even still, such a great EDC it doesn't matter! 400 lm with very decent UI (UI second only to ZL for a clicky, IMO) if i only grab one light, S10 is it.

Edit: All XLMs EDC size i've encountered are very Floody IMO, but i've never seen the thrunite. I've had people turn them on and go "OMG that's bright!, but not very focused..."
I have non XMLs that are throwy. like and Fenix LD20, or Sipik SK68.

the truth is:
Thrunite = WIN, eagletac =WIN, zebralight=WIN or sunwayman=WIN

Last edited:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
And the Zebralight SC80 is similar to the SC52 and will take both 123 and AA batteries making it my preferred EDC light right now.

Mendel272

Newly Enlightened
So which one have you decided for?
I decided to order a d25c with U2. I looked at a lot of graphs on this forum after taing the advice into account, and decided it was the right one for me. i'll be sure to post my first impressions. thanks for the input!

cyclesport

Enlightened
I decided to order a d25c with U2. I looked at a lot of graphs on this forum after taing the advice into account, and decided it was the right one for me. i'll be sure to post my first impressions. thanks for the input!

Good choice, and Im sure you'll enjoy using this light. One suggestion...you may want to buy a few 3v CR123's to use in this light before you jump into rechargable Li-ion's & chargers. The D25C is a very efficient light and will run a lot longer than you might think on a CR123 and is best for storage w/o using for protracted periods.

Also, this light was designed to be fully regulated on 3v power meaning it will function best on CR123's...eg: run much longer on high w/o getting too hot and maintain all output modes. It will still function in direct drive on 3.7v li-ion's but will get too hot to use very long on high and you'll loose medium mode...not as practical for most people, *(athough EagleTac is in the process of putting out the titanium version of this light w/updated driver giving full access to all outputs at 3.7v).

It'll still be crazy bright using primaries and that may indeed be all you want or need before spending a lot more on the gear needed for recharging...just saying.

Mendel272

Newly Enlightened
I think that's what I'll do. I have a supply of cr123s from a couple years ago. I bought a couple fenixs in around 2007-2008, and I got an almost lifetime supply of cr123s back then, I just finally felt the need to upgrade.

The light arrived this morning, but I need to find my batteries :/

I'll post some thoughts shortly

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well mine came in Today(D25C Clicky) and it is pretty nice light!
I like that it can always come on in Low if I disable Memory but overall I really do not like the UI so far.
Mine is an XP-G S2 Neutral White and the Tint,Color and Beam are very good for my use. Overall I am impressed and it is pretty tiny too,smaller than the SC52 which surprised me.
Overall a very nice addition for me.

Ed

I think that's what I'll do. I have a supply of cr123s from a couple years ago. I bought a couple fenixs in around 2007-2008, and I got an almost lifetime supply of cr123s back then, I just finally felt the need to upgrade.

The light arrived this morning, but I need to find my batteries :/

I'll post some thoughts shortly

cyclesport

Enlightened
Well mine came in Today(D25C Clicky) and it is pretty nice light!
I like that it can always come on in Low if I disable Memory but overall I really do not like the UI so far.
Mine is an XP-G S2 Neutral White and the Tint,Color and Beam are very good for my use. Overall I am impressed and it is pretty tiny too,smaller than the SC52 which surprised me.
Overall a very nice addition for me.

Ed

Curious as to what aspect of the UI bothers you?

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Curious as to what aspect of the UI bothers you?

Frankly I NEVER want the "Disco" modes to come on unless I need them.
From what I can tell if I go around more than 2 times with Memory mode on they will always come on?

I don't understand why they are linked to the Memory feature in any way?

So I either lose Memory and don't have to worry about it as much or I gain Memory but then almost at random they will activate as the spot in the rotation is memorized too,just seems odd to me.

cyclesport

Enlightened
Frankly I NEVER want the "Disco" modes to come on unless I need them.
From what I can tell if I go around more than 2 times with Memory mode on they will always come on?

I don't understand why they are linked to the Memory feature in any way?

So I either lose Memory and don't have to worry about it as much or I gain Memory but then almost at random they will activate as the spot in the rotation is memorized too,just seems odd to me.

Yeah, kinda thought that was the reason (and some don't like reverse clickys). The disco modes (all 7 of em') are extreme in this light allright , and since I don't use memory in lights that always start in low, and you have to cycle through L-M-H twice, it was easy enough for me to avoid.

You can always use the ET trick where you softpress the clicky while on from wherever you are in the sequence to go back to the low beginning.

Lights are a lot like many personel electronic devices these days in that manufacturers add extra features simply because the technology exists and hope the consumer sees it as a added value. Mostly the added features just add unwanted complexity and diminish the ownership experience. I still can't imagine what ET had in mind with the high speed SOS?! Could anyone really see if someone was in distress from that mode?:duh2:

jomox

Newly Enlightened
I have a D25A and am not that impressed with the beam quality compared to other lights, it's bright for a short distance, good for close combat situations but the brightness of how far it can throw is low, I like it in the woods and around the house in the dark, not in open spaces. The build quality is great though. Of course it's personal and some may find it great for them for other uses. Very impressed with the beam quality of Thrunite though, and Nitecore.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Usually, when we talk about beam quality, it's about how many artifacts are in the beam. A bad quality beam is uneven and full of artifacts. For distance and how far a light projects, we talk about throw and beam width.

The D25A has a relatively small reflector, and with the larger die of the XM-L emitter, you'll end up with a fairly floody light with lots of power, but not much throw. For more throw, you'll need a wider reflector for a narrower beam, and maybe a smaller emitter as well.

I hope the light works well for you!

jomox

Newly Enlightened
Sorry I must be mistaken again. I just say beam quality as in the overall quality of the beam, flood, spill and throw. I don't find it very good at flooding to much either, its bright but not like lots of flood/spill or throw compared to others, even cheaper lights. I guess I should word it better for you guys as I probably confusing you all and myself. Like for me the D25A clicky is good for the trails in the woods, it don't flood out to much or throw to far but lights up the trail enough in front of you good enough. But again personal as to who finds it more useful for whatever needed.

Last edited: