Thrunite Lynx (1x18650, XM-L2) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO and more!

rhr1960

Newly Enlightened
Wow, have just spent quite a bit of time searching online for a Lynx, but to no avail. Only available on eBay from some (sketchy?) source in Hong Kong. Looking forward to Thrunite's next batch becoming available!

Danielsan

Enlightened
Wow, have just spent quite a bit of time searching online for a Lynx, but to no avail. Only available on eBay from some (sketchy?) source in Hong Kong. Looking forward to Thrunite's next batch becoming available!

I think this light is out of production because it was obviously to complex to build, ive posted soem inside pictures of the guts i found on google and it looks damn complex with all the flex cables, hall sensors and other stuff inside. Maybe they ditched this light for the more simple Tn30s. I wouldnt call HKequipment sketchy, it seems you have no other choice because its sold out all over europe and the US i guess :)

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
They went to a lot of work to make an amazing UI and shot themselves in the foot with a moronic mode sequence undermining that UI.

I think they've already done the most difficult part; I'd love to see them fine tune it and I do think it would sell.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Indeed - all they had to do was to go back to the Gladius mode of operation where a press-and-hold from on would initiate the ramping.

Either that or make it do something really useful like momentary max and then back to the preset level when released.

Keep it simple, folks !

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another alternative is the Supbeam T10 quite close to being the same light at a cheaper price - I have bought 2 for a mate that are used for security and they get a fair bashing and they are still going strong after 2ish years.
The head on the T10 is bigger like the turbo head for the lynx - so you get more throw.

Last edited:

bluemax_1

Enlightened
Another alternative is the Supbeam T10 quite close to being the same light at a cheaper price - I have bought 2 for a mate that are used for security and they get a fair bashing and they are still going strong after 2ish years.
The head on the T10 is bigger like the turbo head for the lynx - so you get more throw.

The beam of the T10 is far too throw-oriented for my liking, but of course, personal preferences will vary.

The T10 has a very narrow spot and a narrow spillbeam which is much more prone to creating tunnel vision. The Thrunite Turbo head OTOH, has a very nice beam with good throw and a nice wide spillbeam.

Max

Danielsan

Enlightened
I think Supbeam produced some models for thrunite in the past. The question is, can you program the T10 with the brightness you want like the thrunite lynx or has the selectorring fixed brightness steps?

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
The beam of the T10 is far too throw-oriented for my liking, but of course, personal preferences will vary.

The T10 has a very narrow spot and a narrow spillbeam which is much more prone to creating tunnel vision. The Thrunite Turbo head OTOH, has a very nice beam with good throw and a nice wide spillbeam.

Max

I totally agree, if money is not a problem I would go the Lynx. But I guess my point is the T10 might be the poorer cousin but at $70 (I think that's what I paid) its not too bad and you get the bigger (or turbo) head as standard, Lynx is $130 + $30 for the turbo head.
I have the Lynx as well and IMO the T10 is 95% as good as the lynx in build quality.

bluemax_1

Enlightened
I totally agree, if money is not a problem I would go the Lynx. But I guess my point is the T10 might be the poorer cousin but at $70 (I think that's what I paid) its not too bad and you get the bigger (or turbo) head as standard, Lynx is $130 + $30 for the turbo head.
I have the Lynx as well and IMO the T10 is 95% as good as the lynx in build quality.
Pity they recessed the T10 so the Thrunite heads won't focus the emitter.

Max

chouster

Newly Enlightened
...make it do something really useful like momentary max and then back to the preset level when released...
Mine does exactly that.

In fact, there are two versions, the one with the anodized threads does not behave like that, it goes out after momentary max.
The one with the non-anodized threads goes back to where it came from after momentary on, so off if activated from off or to the mode you used before.

Furthermore the one with the non-anodized threads can only be locked from on and comes back to the mode you locked it from even if you turn the selector ring to a different position while locked (not sure how the anodized version behaves in this regard). In my case I always lock it in a sort of medium mode (but you could do it with any other mode you set) and than turn the ring to momentary max, so when I press the button 3 times it goes to medium and from there it jumps to max by holding the button and back to medium when releasing, without doing anything with the ring. When locked like this you can also tap the button 2 times and hold it down with the 3rd tap and it goes directly into max and back to medium when released.

Hope this wasn't too confusing, explaining in german would be a lot easier for me.

Cheers

Last edited:

bluemax_1

Enlightened
Does anyone know if Thrunite is coming out with an updated version of the Lynx? The Lynx hasn't seemed to have been available for some time now.

Would be nice if they updated the light with a 5 position UI, and I actually prefer the old Scorpion half press and turn lockout vs the multiple clicks lockout. It was easy to keep the light locked out to avoid accidental operation (although it takes a little practice to learn to lockout the light without turning it ON), but if I needed to use it, I could just turn the knob to whatever setting I needed and hit the button (which makes momentary Max on one end and Momentary strobe on the other end convenient. Whichever is needed, just crank all the way right or left).

Max

bluemax_1

Enlightened
The Lynx is once again available on the Thrunite website I do believe it is updated. Goes for $129.99

It may be ON their website, but it doesn't seem to be available for purchase, i.e. there is no option to actually buy it. All I can do is select cool white vs neutral white, but there is no way to purchase that I can see. Some of the other lights have an 'Add To Cart' button, but the Lynx is not one of them. It's been that way for months, and there don't seem to be any dealers with it in stock.

That's why I'm wondering if they might be developing an updated version.

Max

Last edited:

bluemax_1

Enlightened
Well, the Lynx is now gone from their website, so either Thrunite is potentially coming out with an updated version of the Scorpion/Lynx line, or the TN11S V2 is their idea of a replacement.

Max

Rick_R

Newly Enlightened
Well, the Lynx is now gone from their website, so either Thrunite is potentially coming out with an updated version of the Scorpion/Lynx line, or the TN11S V2 is their idea of a replacement.

Max

It’s not surprising, considering how availability and sales fell-off drastically 3-4 months after this current version. I do like this lights output and durability. It’s tough. No reliability issues. Still use it every day.
If they due an updated version, I hope the changes are;
1- Tail-cap (i.e. stouter spring(s), a button that ‘clicks’, forward clicky and only one ‘user selectable mode’.
2- Tighter tolerances at the tail-cap and bezel threads, so they don’t un-screw so easily.
3- The SS bezel ‘blackened’, debured (to sharp).
4- Strobe should be 18-20Hz.
But since the light is made for them by Acebeam (‘T10’), and also sold by Night Reaper Systems LLC (‘Estrela’), I don’t think it will be to much different than the other two representations if it’s reintroduced.

bluemax_1

Enlightened
The Acebeam still only has one programmable mode IIRC, so Thrunite did select a different driver.

I actually prefer multiple programmable modes because no one can agree on what modes are most useful to them. For instance, I NEVER use moonlight/firefly on a light this size. If I wanted firefly mode, my Quark AA can handle that easily AND run way longer than needed on a single AA in firefly mode.

With lights this size I NEED a momentary and constant Maximum, preferably a momentary tactical strobe (I personally prefer about 10Hz) and ideally, a user selectable low/medium.

Yet, there are folks who say they rarely ever use Maximum and use firefly way more often (again, I don't understand the need for a light this large if firefly is the preferred mode), and that's where multiple user definable modes comes in handy. The user can set what they prefer.

The rest of those suggestions sound good to me.

Max

Rick_R

Newly Enlightened
The Acebeam still only has one programmable mode IIRC, so Thrunite did select a different driver.

I actually prefer multiple programmable modes because no one can agree on what modes are most useful to them. For instance, I NEVER use moonlight/firefly on a light this size. If I wanted firefly mode, my Quark AA can handle that easily AND run way longer than needed on a single AA in firefly mode.

With lights this size I NEED a momentary and constant Maximum, preferably a momentary tactical strobe (I personally prefer about 10Hz) and ideally, a user selectable low/medium.

Yet, there are folks who say they rarely ever use Maximum and use firefly way more often (again, I don't understand the need for a light this large if firefly is the preferred mode), and that's where multiple user definable modes comes in handy. The user can set what they prefer.

The rest of those suggestions sound good to me.

Max

Thanks bluemax_1 for your reply,
True, the Acebeam ‘T10’ and Night Reaper Systems ‘Estraela’, only one user selectable mode in their UI (This is a good thing).

Being how this light is targeted towards the LEO/Security/Military/Self defense environments, as opposed to “late night trips through the house”, I’m with you on the firefly/moonlight light level being not necessary or needed. A light this size/weight is not an EDC type light. It’s a ‘Tactical’ flashlight.
The selectable modes have a problem when under stress (training/on the streets), when one’s ‘muscle memory’ says, push, click, it’s on. “Ahh,” ‘no click’ translates into, ‘push & hold’. The light then starts ramping. Not good! (don’t ask how I know).
I have been working with this light for about 9 months. Momentary = forward push (good); All others = push & release (reverse clicky style) not good. Then you want to change modes, turn off, change, turn back on. As I don’t have examples of the other two lights, I don’t know if this on/off/on is inherent in the design.
As far as the strobe rate. Anything below 12-13Hz can and does affect the user to some degree. Above rates, less user affects, more effective on the targeted person.
There is a reviewer (JohnyMac) that took one of these tights apart. All I can say is ‘there’s a lot going on in there. It looks like mode switching (turning the dial) is by ‘hall effect’. If this is the case, then the UI changes can be done via software/re-flashing the controller. An easy fix/change in what does what where, how bright and how fast/slow.
I would hate to see it go away. Just needs some small refinements and massaging.
Rick

Last edited: