Thrunite Scorpion V2 (XM-L) + Turbo Head Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS and more!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
FYI, Thrunite informs me that the standby current for the Scorpion V2 is only 30 uA. So a typical 18650 cell should last for about a decade or so. But I am unable to verify this directly, as the tailcap is required to complete the circuit (i.e. electronic switch). If worried, you can always untwist the tailcap to break the current.

I also understand from their CPFMP thread that they aren't currently planning to sell the Turbo head separately, but rather as a seperate version for sale (i.e. Scorpion Turbo). Check with Thrunite for more info.

Chongker

Newly Enlightened
A little unsure of which one to get right now. Their current lineup in order of increasing throw would be:

Neutron -> Scorpion -> Scorpion Turbo -> Catapult

Already have the Neutron and Catapult, and one of the scorpions would be nice to fill in the slot in between (technically filled in by other flashlight brands already, but lets not go there ;) ). Just unsure of which of the two would be functionally better though, decisions decisions.

Would be nice to get the separate turbohead, then it'll be possible to lego.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
What would happen if i used 2 3,7v RCR123A's?
On max and near-max, you would damage the batteries. At a minimum, this would quickly result in degraded performance and inability to keep a charge (i.e. high self-discharge). It would also make them inherently unstable and unsafe to charge. Please see the batteries sub-forum to consult the experts.

Again, only IMR chemistry is capable of handling this sort of discharge rate. If unsure, simply don't use 2xRCR.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I just checked Thrunite's site which turned out to be one of the least up-to-date flashlight sites I have seen. It doesn't even mention the original Scorpion. Battery Junction's Thrunite page does not yet list the V2.

Flashaholic frustration!

Brightnorm

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
How can primaries handle it?
Different chemistry again. Primaries can handle quite a bit in some regards, but also have their own limitations (i.e. they can get quite hot internally). But real capacity is higher than protected RCR, so discharge rate is lower. Still, I wouldn't recommend running primaries on Max for extended periods either (mainly for heat) - 18650 would be the best way to go.

Rechargeable Li-ion chemistry has different needs, and care has to be taken in how you treat them if you expect them to retain a charge (and retaining charging ability). I wouldn't be surprised to see >4C discharge rates on standard protected RCR here (and no, I'm not going to test it - I go through enough cells as it is, without that abuse :rolleyes:).

Much the same issue with the TD-15X - it's a common problem when you drive things this hard.

I just checked Thrunite's site which turned out to be one of the least up-to-date flashlight sites I have seen. It doesn't even mention the original Scorpion. Battery Junction's Thrunite page does not yet list the V2.
Yeah, I recommend you check out the CPFMP manufacturer's subforum for up to date info - Thrunite seems to post quite regularly there.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Forgot to mention something so obvious that it hardly needs mentioning: Great review!

brightnorm

Last edited:

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow. Thanks for detailing the new vs the "old". What an amazing single 18650 light. So far, all the single cell 18650 xml lights have not really peaked my interest until this one. The amount of lumens and throw from this reasonable sized light is pretty amazing. I may have to replace my Maelstrom G5 XPG R5.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Id be curious to know amps at the tailcap with 2 x cr123; 2 x imr16340; and 1 x 18650

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Id be curious to know amps at the tailcap with 2 x cr123; 2 x imr16340; and 1 x 18650
Can't do it, since there is an electronic switch is the tailcap. You need to have the switch included in the circuit path in order to activate modes and take readings. Would need to jury-rig something with all contact points engaged, and I just don't have the setup.

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the excellent review selfbuilt! Thinking based on what you've said here that I'll give one of these a go. Thrunite's said they're doing a limited neutral XM-L run and the Turbo head is available separately so that'll probably be what I wait for.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Does anyone know when this light will be available to purchase?

Response from Thrunite:

We have sent to USA dealers these shipment. I think batteryjunction will get the shipment this week!
Best Regards

David

Last edited:

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just an FYI for anyone who reads selfbuilt's review and decides "Damn, I have to have one of those with the turbo head" (like I did) - Thrunite is currently accepting orders on CPF Marketplace for a limited run neutral v2 with Turbo head. Jump on it before it's gone.

Thanks again for the great review selfbuilt! I love going into purchases with some knowledge of what I'm going to be getting, and your reviews are always the very best source of that.

CQ73

Newly Enlightened
Awesome review, selfbuilt! Many thanks for the information.

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Selfbuilt,

The LED runs at 2.5~3.0A on near max. & max. mode and when using two RCR123A cells, you will get about half(1.25~1.5A) on each cell.

My calculation(1.25~1.5A) is correct?

The recommended discharge ratio of AW RCR123A(750mAh) cell is about 1C, but each cell's discharge ratio is about 1.67C~2C.

So, do you recommend to use 1x18650 instead?

Last edited:

Nachtwacht

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, selfbuilt. I'm impressed, both by the quality of your reviews as by the specs of this light. Seems almost too good to be true. I'm considering ordering one, based on this review.

EDIT: Well, couldn't resist the neutral version... Thanks to calipsoii for the heads up.

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
My calculation(1.25~1.5A) is correct?
No, it doesn't quite work that way. Drive current to the LED is not the same as drain on the batteries, due to the role of the circuit. The experts on battery power draw would have to chime in here, but I don't be believe it's possible to provide accurate estimates of battery current based just on emitter drive levels.

In any case, it doesn't matter - my max runtime on IMR cells tells me to expect no more than ~15mins runtime on protected RCR. This drastically exceeds safe operating discharge rates for the those cells (i.e. 1C would be about an hour, and 2C - half that - is far as I would be willing to push it on regular use).