Thrunite Scorpion V2 (XM-L) + Turbo Head Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS and more!

gsteve

Enlightened
Yes TM... and for the difference in size im loving the scorp. If anyone makes something like sized to it yet better. Please let me know.

infinus

Newly Enlightened
Thrunite! :) Check out the Thrunite TN11. I think it's better than the Scorpion V2 w/Turbo Head. Partly because I dislike the Scorpions switch, but also partly because I just like the build better.

Pierre Niemans

Newly Enlightened
I don't have problem anymore of donut because after dismissal and reception of a new one which did not function, I had a refund.
The system of switch looked kind.

infinus

Newly Enlightened
how does the tn11 perform against the v2 with turbo head?

I wish that someone that had both and had capabilities of measuring both would post something. I used to have a Scorpion V2 w/turbo head and currently have a TN11. I "think" the TN11 out performs the scorpion v2. Hard to compare though going off of memory.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I wish that someone that had both and had capabilities of measuring both would post something. I used to have a Scorpion V2 w/turbo head and currently have a TN11. I "think" the TN11 out performs the scorpion v2. Hard to compare though going off of memory.
sounds like its time for another review!!!!
I will be reviewing the TN11, and comparing it to the Scorpion V2 Turbo. Just received the light, so haven't had a chance to do comparative testing yet, but it looks like the lights use the same reflector (i.e. identical head openings and overall dimensions). So if they are driven to comparable levels, beam patterns should be the same.

You will have to bear with me a bit though, I have at least four reviews (of six lights) that have to go up first ... :sweat:

AutoTech

Enlightened
I will be reviewing the TN11, and comparing it to the Scorpion V2 Turbo. Just received the light, so haven't had a chance to do comparative testing yet, but it looks like the lights use the same reflector (i.e. identical head openings and overall dimensions). So if they are driven to comparable levels, beam patterns should be the same.

You will have to bear with me a bit though, I have at least four reviews (of six lights) that have to go up first ... :sweat:

Do you mean same size head as turbo head? (presume you do)

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Do you mean same size head as turbo head? (presume you do)
Yes, the external styling is different, but the overall dimensions of the head seem the same. The SS bezel ring looks identical. The reflectors look to have identical dimensions.

AutoTech

Enlightened
Yes, the external styling is different, but the overall dimensions of the head seem the same. The SS bezel ring looks identical. The reflectors look to have identical dimensions.

Just what I gambled on when buying the TN11, good to hear, thanks.

Looking forward to the review.

Seems strange to me that thrunite released the tn11 with the scorpion about. I don't think most people realise the tn11 is essentially a scorpion with turbo head already installed yet, but when someone confirms it will it kill most scorpion sales?. It's a bit like bmw releasing a car with the same engine as an m3 but calling it smething else.

ZapBeeb

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a tactical light for night airsoft games and the
scorpion V2 seems to be a good fit.

Very bright, tailcap switch, good throw.

Is there anything else you'd recommend?

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast

Klarus XT-10, smaller ans also has rear switch control

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Hard to say, there are certainly a lot of good XM-L-based throwers out there now. In addition to V2, there's the TN11 and others like the Lumintop TD15X and P16X, 4Sevens X7, Xeno G42, etc, among my recent reviews. Also plenty more XM-L lights with less throw (or XP-G lghts with more throw but less overall output). Hard to recommend anything specific ... a lot of choices.

ZapBeeb

Newly Enlightened
Thank you very much for dropping in...

I looked a bit the other lights you mentioned and i must say that, at
the moment the V2 still looks the more interesting of the lot.

The thing i really don't like is the shape of the tailcap with the rounded
rotary control.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
The second copy of my Scorpion v2 is perfect (#1 was DOA). If anyone is interested, Bianchi large size chemical spray holder carries the light with stndard head perfectly. It fits as if it was made just for the light.

Nachtwacht

Newly Enlightened
Great light. For law enforcement I wish I could change the UI though. If only I could set the four positions as follows:

1) Constant-on dimmable with memory (I'd preset this at 10-20 lumens for admin tasks and navigation).
2) Also constant-on dimmable with memory (I'd preset this at around 150-200 lumens, e.g. for indoor use in smaller spaces or vehicle searches)
3) Also constant-on dimmable with memory (I'd preset this at maximum brightness)
4) Momentary at maximum brightness, with the strobe accessible from this position by fast double-tapping the switch and keeping it pressed down on the second 'tap'. (exactly the same as the IT WX-150, Streamlight TLR1-S or SureFire Z2-S (the last one using a triple tap)).

To me this would be more practical. Just my personal preference.

To Madecov: thanks for the bianchi holder tip.

Last edited:

Latest posts