Thrunite Scorpion V2 (XM-L) + Turbo Head Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS and more!

Helmut.G

Enlightened
True, a single constant-on position isn't enough on a light with that kind of brightness range.

I personally would love the following UI:

1) Moonlight
2) Dimmable 10-75 lumens
3) Dimmable 100-max lumens
4) momentary max

jamjam

Newly Enlightened
To selbuilt:

(Just noticed some cpf member also report donut hole on their sample, it looks like a random case though)

Just got my Scorpion V2 Neutral (T5 emitter) few days ago, I really like it a lot. However when I do white wall hunting, I noticed there is a very subtle "donut hole" with my sample. Its actually not a full circle donut hole, but more like a random shade. It is very subtle, it is only noticeable when white wall hunting, and I can only see it when the brightness level is 50% and lower, anything brighter it will be gone (eye perception perhaps?). When I put the light just few inches away from the wall, it looks like a shape of flower with 4 petals. I try it with both regular and turbo head and same outcome, so I assume the problem lies on the emitter, and not the reflectors. I do not have this with my other light, so I am curious if anyone else have the same problem? Not that its a big deal, just wanna know if it is common with the T5, or even XM-L. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Its actually not a full circle donut hole, but more like a random shade. It is very subtle, it is only noticeable when white wall hunting, and I can only see it when the brightness level is 50% and lower, anything brighter it will be gone (eye perception perhaps?). When I put the light just few inches away from the wall, it looks like a shape of flower with 4 petals. I try it with both regular and turbo head and same outcome, so I assume the problem lies on the emitter, and not the reflectors. I do not have this with my other light, so I am curious if anyone else have the same problem?
Hard to say without seeing a pic, but it doesn't sound abnormal. All XM-L lights can produce a 4-petal flower pattern up close (looks a little like a four-leaf clover as well). Not sure what you mean about the "random shade", but it is not uncommon to see minor variations in a hotspot with smooth reflectors.

jamjam

Newly Enlightened
Hard to say without seeing a pic, but it doesn't sound abnormal. All XM-L lights can produce a 4-petal flower pattern up close (looks a little like a four-leaf clover as well). Not sure what you mean about the "random shade", but it is not uncommon to see minor variations in a hotspot with smooth reflectors.

Thanks for the reply. After closer observation, I think the "random shade" is actually cause by the opening of the reflector (The opening closer to the emitter) It looks like a smaller dark ring in the middle of the hotspot, with some very subtle cloudy shadow inside the dark ring, thats why I call it "random shade".

I didn't see that in your white wall hunting picture, thats why I wonder if your sample also exhibit the same problem.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
It looks like a smaller dark ring in the middle of the hotspot, with some very subtle cloudy shadow inside the dark ring, thats why I call it "random shade".
Ah, now I understand. I've seen something similar on a number XM-L lights (i.e. the small dark ring around the center of the hotspot). I suspect it is a focusing issue with the reflectors, but am not sure of its source. And my Thrunite Scorpion does have it as well - it just doesn't show up in the beamshots. The effect is subtle, and hard to describe (i.e. not a solid ring, just a portion of it - which is why it looks "random" in a way). You can only see it on a pure white wall.

jamjam

Newly Enlightened
Ah, now I understand. I've seen something similar on a number XM-L lights (i.e. the small dark ring around the center of the hotspot). I suspect it is a focusing issue with the reflectors, but am not sure of its source. And my Thrunite Scorpion does have it as well - it just doesn't show up in the beamshots. The effect is subtle, and hard to describe (i.e. not a solid ring, just a portion of it - which is why it looks "random" in a way). You can only see it on a pure white wall.

Ya, exactly what i meant. The dark ring is not a full circle, more like a 3/4 circle. Anyway, it seems like its not unusual for Scorpion to have this problem, so I think I will let it go. Thanks a bunch!

Nachtwacht

Newly Enlightened
Cool light...
Looks like it violates the Gladius patent on multiple fronts. Something the Chinese knock-off artists and their importers don't seem to have too much problem with.

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=7,281,815.PN.&OS=PN/7,281,815&RS=PN/7,281,815

Hello Ken,

I bought the original Blackhawk / Night-Ops Gladius in 2005 (also have a copy of your book on low-light engagements).

The Thrunite Scorpion has been around for some time now (V1 + V2) and I wasn't aware of any patent infringement issues. It's pretty clear that it's a copy of the Gladius, but Thrunite is a dealer in the CPF Marketplace and I was under the assumption that they made a deal with Blackhawk / Night-Ops (or whatever company that holds the patent rights).

Are you sure about this?

Regards,

Nachtwacht.

Xacto

Enlightened
Like Nachtwacht, I too have your book on low-light engagements and read it back to front during my lunchbreaks (even though I do not need that knowledge for any other reason than sheer interest and curiousity on that subject).

I never would/could shell out the 250 Euro a "real" Gladius costs, so that light - even though it started my flashoholism - will never find its way in my collection. So I must admit that I was glad when the Scorpion came out, because suddenly I could afford a light that uses the type of UI the Gladius has.

And although that Scorpion does fill the need for that type of UI in my collection, I actually do think about getting a Ledwave PEL-6, which is - if I understand this correctly - the legally correct, current make of the Blackhawk Gladius. That way my collection would have the "original" form of the Gladius and only a different lettering.

So somehow it becomes a full circle. ;-)

Cheers
Thorsten

Maxspam

Newly Enlightened
Two questions before I pull the trigger on this light, If you half press the tailcap switch in the "momentary full brightness" mode and then rotate the ring to lockout will it keep the light on in full brightness? Secondly, Is there anywhere to acquire a neutral white version at this time?

Helmut.G

Enlightened
Two questions before I pull the trigger on this light, If you half press the tailcap switch in the "momentary full brightness" mode and then rotate the ring to lockout will it keep the light on in full brightness?
The momentary full brightness mode is located on the opposite side of the lockout.
The sequence is (clock-wise): lock-out, constant-on, moonlight, momentary strobe, momentary max.

You can turn the light on in the programmable constant-on mode and lock it while on.

Secondly, Is there anywhere to acquire a neutral white version at this time?
There's at least one german dealer that currently has the neutral version in stock but they won't ship international so that will likely not help you ;)

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Two questions before I pull the trigger on this light, If you half press the tailcap switch in the "momentary full brightness" mode and then rotate the ring to lockout will it keep the light on in full brightness?
Helmut is correct - you would have to program the infinite brightness/constant-on mode to full brightness to have it stay on max continuously. Although you physically lock out the switch from this mode, there is no need to - the constant on mode will leave the light on with a single press. There is no way to lock the light on from the momentary max mode (without first going through the other 3 modes to the constant-on mode).