Thrunite T10S (XP-G2, 1xAA, Stainless Steel) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO+

ven

Flashaholic
The heat is around the same as when running a loop on high. I used for a few minutes at a time the other week issue free,yes warm but not hot. If a requirement of 20lm is needed then loops would be best for the medium 20lm mode(only way of getting it). But would allow a good runtime of usable light for close up work...........

xzel87

Enlightened
Normal Low, Normal Med & Higher High on 14500

Wow I seem to have missed the point on losing the 20 lumen medium mode on li-ion, thanks for pointing that out. Guess I'll have both battery types ready as spares depending on situation and usage.

EDIT 1, 16 Dec 2014: Finally received my light!, opened it up and noticed the light was kinda smudgy (like from oily hands handling something shiny) and some very very shallow scratches (rubbed off fine with some wet paper towels though). So 1st thing I did was cleaned up the light real good. Cleaned the threads and re-lubed with pure silicone grease and the threads are much smoother after that.

After that, I then installed the clip I got from banggood, the longer one. One way to install the clip easily is to first align it then tape it to the body with some masking tape. Then screw slowly but firmly. I sorta stripped one of the screws with the included allen wrench (use your own if you have it) but fortunately had the clip installed flush and nice by then, maybe it happened when I tried to tighten too hard , not too sure how I am going to remove that stripped screw though but thats a problem for later.

One thing I noticed the head circuit/contact plate? seems a bit different than was pictured in selfbuilt's review, mine has a silver-coloured circle in the middle with silver-coloured crescent half-moons on both sides?, hope you can imagine it, sorta looks like a physical reverse polarity protection set up to me.

Anyway, 14500 should be arriving tomorrow, so today just used the lights on Eneloops...moonlight is really low, will have to test that in a pitch dark condition. Medium mode, not sure it's my eyes or what, but the medium mode on my Tool AAA (3 mode) seems somewhat slightly brighter, maybe due to smaller/tighter? hotspot. High is nice and high, and I can't wait for li-ion kinda high haha.

Long story short, I'm liking it a lot already.

EDIT 2, 17 Dec 2014: I've received my Xtar 14500 800mah Li-Ion Protected batteries earlier, charged them in the Xtar MC0 charger at 0.5A until light turned green, changed to 0.25A then left it there for half an hour more charging. I then took the cell and placed it in my T10S. Surprisingly, it's keeping the moonlight low AND the normal Medium mode, only the high mode is much higher when compared to 2000mah Eneloops.

Anyone who recently ordered the T10S care to give input on this?, I think they may have changed the circuit/driver from what was originally in the light that was reviewed by Selfbuilt, or is this just erratic behaviour on my unit.

For reference below is a link to a photo I took of the battery contact plate in the head portion. (I'm not sure whether linking to Dropbox is considered hotlinking).
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/fclshnwf5vf51gv/AAB2ILZC-dV-2RlpWk3voWDHa

Thanks!

Last edited:

xzel87

Enlightened
Re: Normal Low, Normal Med & Higher High on 14500

Hey guys sorry for the double post but I can't help noticing that thrunite.com specification for the t10 series specifies it as having an X-PL emitter?, it wasn't so when I made my purchase a few weeks back.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic

Hey guys sorry for the double post but I can't help noticing that thrunite.com specification for the t10 series specifies it as having an X-PL emitter?, it wasn't so when I made my purchase a few weeks back.

I noticed that too, I'm glad I got the XPG2, the beam is plenty floody...

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Yeah, that's new on a couple of Thrunite models - they seemed to have switched to XP-L. For those not familiar, XP-L has the same base dimensions as the XP-G2 (so functions like a drop-in replacement for XP-G2 builds), but the actual die size appears to be about the same as XM-L2. This means that max output (on high drive levels) can go up, but the beam will be less "throwy" when coupled to an existing XP-G2-class light/reflector.

I expect I'll be testing some of these new XP-L lights in due course ... :whistle:

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Mcgizmo clip looks good on there PSM.

ven

Flashaholic

Congrats PSM,a great light imo,have you tried 14500 fuel yet? pretty surprising in high:)

ven

Flashaholic

Thanks Guys, the McG clip is a must. :)

I have not tried a 14500, wasn't sure if it was safe.

I have 14500 in all my t10 lights,t10t/t10s and t10. As mentioned,it retains the 0.2lm low,the medium is more like high on AA fuel,and high is substantially brighter:devil:

xzel87

Enlightened
New T10S & T10T?

I have 14500 in all my t10 lights,t10t/t10s and t10. As mentioned,it retains the 0.2lm low,the medium is more like high on AA fuel,and high is substantially brighter:devil:

I think they are using a new driver/circuit as my unit retains moonlight and medium on 14500 :confused: and not very visually discernible difference on high mode between nimh and 14500 :confused::confused:

In addition, their webpage has been updated with the new T10S and new T10T, difference being Cool White now uses the XP-L emitter while Neutral White uses the XP-G2. Output difference is 208 Lumen on high compared to previous spec of 179 lumens. Also, in the pictures they seem to also include another spare clicky switch with the package :eek:.

Sivy

Newly Enlightened
Re: New T10S & T10T?

Xzel87

I am confused, in your post dated 12/08/2014 you say....

" I then took the cell and placed it in my T10S. Surprisingly, it's keeping the moonlight low AND the normal Medium mode, only the high mode is much higher when compared to 2000mah Eneloops."

But above you say....

"I think they are using a new driver/circuit as my unit retains moonlight and medium on 14500 and not very visually discernible difference on high mode between nimh and 14500"

Both statements say the low and medium are retained with a 14500 , but is the high "much higher" as in quote one or "not very discernible difference" as in quote two?

Which is correct please.

ven

Flashaholic

I think they are using a new driver/circuit as my unit retains moonlight and medium on 14500 :confused: and not very visually discernible difference on high mode between nimh and 14500 :confused::confused:

In addition, their webpage has been updated with the new T10S and new T10T, difference being Cool White now uses the XP-L emitter while Neutral White uses the XP-G2. Output difference is 208 Lumen on high compared to previous spec of 179 lumens. Also, in the pictures they seem to also include another spare clicky switch with the package :eek:.

May have updated then with the leds and maybe limited the output due to potential heat..........

This is the CW on an AA eneloop on high and a NW on a 14500 again high(not took medium pics but can when have time)

As can see the NW is quite a bit brighter over the CW . It is brighter than a d25a on a 14500 too...........(back at page 6 has other comparisons)

xzel87

Enlightened

when I first got it I was excited, and compared the brightness levels rather too simply, and to the excited me at the time 14500 seems much brighter in a pitch dark room with white ceilings, walls and white mosaic floors.

However, after using it for a few weeks, I slowly realised that in real world usage the difference isn't really that muvh discernible through my eyes. especially during outdoor usage. The only time when it is very apparent is when using it in a completely dark indoor location with white/light coloured walls.

I hope I have clarified properly and I'm sorry :( for any confusion caused. And again I confirm that on my unit a brightness levels of moonlight and low is retained regardless of battery source.

Edit: Ven, the beam on the right is NW T10S?, it looks like my beam tint, but my order was specifically for a CW...I'll have to borrow colleagues DSLR and take some beam comparison to show mine,and also brightness difference. Can't do it with phone since I can't lock out exposure settings etc.

Last edited:

darkshire

Newly Enlightened

has anyone seen the *New Version* with the XP-L emitter on amazon yet ?

ven

Flashaholic

Edit: Ven, the beam on the right is NW T10S?, it looks like my beam tint, but my order was specifically for a CW...I'll have to borrow colleagues DSLR and take some beam comparison to show mine,and also brightness difference. Can't do it with phone since I can't lock out exposure settings etc.

Hi there,the left pic is the T10 CW on AA eneloop and right T10t NW with an efest IMR 14500(I use my T10s again with an IMR 14500 in work).

xzel87

Enlightened

Hey guys, as promised here are beamshots between 1900mah Eneloop and XTar 14500 800mah on high mode.

Camera settings are: 1/25 sec, f3.5, ISO 100, Auto White Balance

T10S - Eneloop 3rd Gen 1900mah- High Mode

T10S - Xtar 14500 3.7V Li-Ion 800mah

As can be seen, there is a difference, but not THAT big of a difference. In real world usage will be hardly noticeable.

ven

Flashaholic

Thanks for the pics,yes can see the difference on the hot spot/spill and agree it's not that much. Maybe something has changed then ..........At the time I tested mine,the d25a on 14500 was noticeably brighter by a good bit over the t10 on AA loop. Then the t10/t10t on 14500 was noticeably brighter than the d25a 14500 if makes sense.