ThruNite TN12(2014),1050Lm,1x18650 compact light,Review+Outdoor Beamshots

Bass

Enlightened
Great review! Fantastic photography as to be expected from you :twothumbs

Nice to see you in the reviews sections. Thanks for all your work.

D6859

Enlightened
45 euros (that's about 61$ :/ ) and it's brought to me in a week from Germany (Amazon) or ~37 euros and it's brough to me from China in 2-4 weeks (eBay). Should I wait and save the few euros? Or should I wait one week and wait for other reviews and then order it from Amazon? Can't wait :O

Offtopic, but would you recommend Keeppower batteries? I am about to order two 3600 mAh Keeppower li-ions and Xtar WP 2 II charger. Darn, they'll cost more than the flashlight itself :D

RBWNY

Enlightened
Re: ThruNite TN12, 1050Lm,1x18650 compact light

I'm confused: Turbo time is listed as 90 minutes... and 800 lumens for 1.5 hours...

I was thinking the same thing :thinking:. Fantastic review though! Love the multiple outdoor shots. In fact, I liked it so much, I just ordered one from Amazon --- for $45!! Nice price! Looking forward to posting my own review for YouTube. :naughty:

D6859

Enlightened
Re: ThruNite TN12, 1050Lm,1x18650 compact light

I'm confused: Turbo time is listed as 90 minutes... and 800 lumens for 1.5 hours...
I think if you look the runtime graph of 800 lumen output it's regulated and the area under the curve is same as (or close to) the area of unregulated 1050 lm output. You can consider this area as the energy taken from the battery. The more lumens, the more lost in internal resistance, led heating and so on... So the area in 1050 lm case might be smaller, but remember, ANSI standard yelds that the timer stops when 10% of the initial output is reached. So using unregulated 1050 lm mode you still have a 'tail' of energy in the battery that is not counted. So basically it's same energy used two different ways, I'd say. But it's funny that they put it out in both minutes and hours. Sorry. I'm a mathematician.

RBWNY

Enlightened
Just got the TN12 yesterday. And I made a few observations. Now, I don't have a way of measuring lumens, but the brightness on turbo depends upon the batteries used. Initially, I put in a 18650 that was already being used in a Klarus light I have. With that, high and turbo were the same. That cell was not depleted much, so then I tried a completely charged 18650. Ahh- turbo gets a bit of a boost! Then I tried two 16340's...ahhh! turbo gets a bit of a 'bigger' boost!! :thumbsup: So...a higher voltage will make a difference with this light! But guess what happened next............. When the two AW RCR's were in there and the light had been on turbo for a minute or so........it shut off. I clicked it off and on again, (back on turbo). Left it for a minute...and again, it shut off~! :thinking: Did a third run with the RCR cells, and this time I timed it. At about .50 the light started flickering...for about 10 seconds. Then just after 1 minute it shut off again. Tested the cells, and both were at 3.8v. Then I wanted to see if it would accept a 18350, which it did. Did the same timed test again with both 18350's and a 18650. After running for almost 90 seconds, on turbo, it was getting warm...but was still on.

What could possibly be the issue with the RCR's?? -- because when I tried them the first time, they were both a full voltage. I DIDN'T try any CR123's in it...but my guess would be that it would have no issues with those. What I also noticed is battery rattle when using 2 cells. :sigh: So, take your pick. Turbo isn't quite as bright with 1 cell. Turbo is brighter with 2 cells, but 2 cells rattle like a baby's toy!

I like the light though. It's got a great firefly mode...although the jump between low and medium is a bit of a hike. When compared to the Klarus ST11, the TN12's hotspot is somewhat larger, so with both of them on their highest mode, they look roughly the same...even though the TN12 has more lumens.

FlashLion

Enlightened
Great review! Fantastic photography as to be expected from you :twothumbs

Nice to see you in the reviews sections. Thanks for all your work.
Thanks Bass
You're welcome!

Thanks RBWNY for the great post.:thumbsup:
I don't know what could cause the shut off.Probably this is the thermal protection.Even the flashlight is not hot outside,the driver might be hot.
Might be also the battery protection circuit,depending on the batteries.
ST11 has a bigger head(reflector) that makes about the same throw,but I measured it ~700Lm.

Edit.
Tested my TN12 with two Keeppower 16340 batteries. For 2 minutes without cooling,no shut off. The light is brighter,but heats up very quickly. The highest voltage affects the lowest mode on my flashlight and it starts with something like pre-flash. The current draw with this batteries is less than 2Amp.

Last edited:

RBWNY

Enlightened
Tested my TN12 with two Keeppower 16340 batteries. For 2 minutes without cooling,no shut off. The light is brighter,but heats up very quickly.

Yes, according to other tests/reviews it may depend on the batteries used. And if all cells are indicative of the 18650 I tested, Turbo mode may be useless once the voltage begins to drop.

mcorp

Enlightened
Sorry guys and girls but what do you mean by step down

Stepdown is the drop in light output for example from 1050 lumen to perhaps 600 lumen for a timed stepdown (usually it's around 3 minutes).
However for the TN12 as the op mentioned, there is no timed stepdown so no drop in lumen is observed:)

Last edited:

FlashLion

Enlightened
Can you override p35 stepdown 3 or 4 times consecutively without the light getting too hot in your hand outdoors ?
I will test it.
Both lights PD35 and TN12 are similar and I think the result will be the same. The head will be hot. The body will act as a good hand warmer in the cold weather:)
I don't recommend holding this lights on the Highest level for too long(more than 20min) without good cooling or cold weather,not because the LED will be hot,but because the heat may also reach the battery. It's good not to heat too much Li-Ion batteries.

D6859

Enlightened
Just noticed the gifs comparing the lights. Awesome! According to Amazon, my light should have come already, but I think they don't deliver during the weekends. I hope that the batteries I ordered come at the same time too :)

It seems (see Selfbuilt's review) that the light has similar runtime graphs at both 1050 and 800 lm level. So what I meantioned about light might be current controlled at 800 lm isn't quite true. But the part about areas seem to apply.

Does anyone else have problem trying to reply to threads here? I have to click first 'quick reply' and then 'go advanced'. Other options just give me a rolling icon but nothing happens.

Last edited:

FlashLion

Enlightened
I will test it.
Both lights PD35 and TN12 are similar and I think the result will be the same. The head will be hot. The body will act as a good hand warmer in the cold weather:)
I don't recommend holding this lights on the Highest level for too long(more than 20min) without good cooling or cold weather,not because the LED will be hot,but because the heat may also reach the battery. It's good not to heat too much Li-Ion batteries.
I did a test with keeping the PD35 continuous on Turbo for about 15 min. The head gets hot after the first 5 min despite the small cooling fan that I used. After the test the battery was not warm yet. It is recommended to let the flashlight stay for about a minute on the level after step down to decrease a little bit the temperature before returning to Turbo.
The brightness after the second step down was about 5% more than the brightness after first step down (both after Turbo).

Gloh

Newly Enlightened
Great review Flashlion!

I like the TN12 for its range of options but the I am most put off by its batteries. It'll be my first torch and I don't have any 18650s.

Do you think it's appropriate to purchase and use CR123s instead as they are cheaper and any downsides to them in comparison?

And is the TN12 pocketable you reckon?

FlashLion

Enlightened
Great review Flashlion!

I like the TN12 for its range of options but the I am most put off by its batteries. It'll be my first torch and I don't have any 18650s.

Do you think it's appropriate to purchase and use CR123s instead as they are cheaper and any downsides to them in comparison?

And is the TN12 pocketable you reckon?
Hello Gloh
TN12 is lightweight and slim,it is good pocketable light imo.The pocket clip is very well made.

I recommend you to buy a good protected 18650 battery-any of the well known brands(Keeppower,Eagletac,etc.)you can check for more recommendations in the batteries section of the forum. These batteries really worth it,because of their high capacity and about 500 cycles charging-discharging.This will save you a lot of money. You will need also a good charger. I use Nitecore I4(version for 4 batteries,there is also version for 2 batteries,called I2).
On two CR123 batteries the TN12 will be a little brighter and the output will be more constant,but most CR123 batteries are not made for such a high drain devices and running the light on max output might be a problem for them. If you will use it mostly on the lower modes this will not be a problem.
Let me know if I can help with something more.:thumbsup:

Gloh

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply mate.
So it is worth spending that bit more for the 18650s?

Have you tried any of the Archer range from Thrunite. They only emit around 200 odd lumens in comparison and the sizes vary. They take AA too.
The AA makes it cheaper but run times drop significantly.
Thoughts?

FlashLion

Enlightened
Yes it is worth.
I use also pink protected Sanyo 18650 batteries.They are one of the best cells and a little bit cheaper.
The 18650 powered flashlights will give you much more lumen output,of course important is how you would like to use the light and what brightness you prefer.

Last edited: